Author Topic: Old Postcards - Llandudno Pavilion, Promenade & Pier  (Read 91633 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: Old Postcards - Llandudno Promenade & Pier
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2011, 01:25:27 am »
If you go forward in time, little has changed in Llandudno.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2011, 02:33:41 pm »
Yes you're right Dave.  I think in the 50's the Pier Master was  a Robin Williams (not the band) and he word a navy uniform with white peaked cap.  Don't remember the crew though.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2011, 02:47:46 pm »
If I remember correctly an old lady, now long gone, used to chat to us as she took her daily stroll. She lived permanently at the Royal in Church Walks and said that her son had been pier master. Wonder if it was the same?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2011, 12:11:43 am »
Thats interesting Nemesis...
In my day there were always ''residents'' in hotels,  who lived there permanently.
Shades of Mrs Tibbs and The Major on Fawlty Towers?

What happened to permanent hotel residents?   How did it come about in the first place?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2011, 08:25:29 am »
Back in those days, hotel costs were probably relatively cheaper, as staff costs were not nearly as high as they were now. So little old ladies on a decent pension or with investment income could afford to live in a hotel. The hotel benefits by having the guaranteed income and the residents gets a discount on the normal room rate. I'd love to live in a hotel, no cooking or cleaning to do.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2011, 08:49:46 am »
What happened to permanent hotel residents?   How did it come about in the first place?

I think it still happens, but in slightly odder ways. There was an article some time ago about a couple who actually live in a Premier Inn, and I also know that there are people who live full-time in London hotels;  they simply move around when the fancy takes them.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2011, 04:34:51 pm »
It was not unknown in the first half of the last centaury for a guest to book a particular room or suite in a Hotel for the entire season, but only turn up and occupy it when the fancy took them, often without giving the Hotel prior notice of their arrival. It would as a by product provide various Hotel Managers with a very lucrative source of supplementary income by letting the room to passing trade when they were empty..... I think you will all be able to see where this thread is leading......  ))*
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2011, 10:14:13 pm »
Back in those days, hotel costs were probably relatively cheaper, as staff costs were not nearly as high as they were now. So little old ladies on a decent pension or with investment income could afford to live in a hotel. The hotel benefits by having the guaranteed income and the residents gets a discount on the normal room rate. I'd love to live in a hotel, no cooking or cleaning to do.

Dave ... I can make your dream come true....  I hear that the The Clarence and The Tudno Castle have vacancies!!!!  L0L L0L L0L

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2011, 12:59:26 am »

Dave ... I can make your dream come true....  I hear that the The Clarence and The Tudno Castle have vacancies!!!!  L0L L0L L0L

_))*

Offline Trojan

« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2011, 04:09:37 am »
Evening illuminations summer 1963:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 04:12:23 am by Trojan »

Offline Trojan

« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2011, 05:19:40 am »
Not as busy as the 50's, 60's or 70's, but this scene from June 1982 shows Llandudno was still a popular holiday destination:

Offline Trojan

« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2011, 05:26:35 am »
Enquiry booth on Llandudno promenade, 1929. Two women bathers wrapped in towels wait at the window of this London, Midland & Scottish Railway promenade booth.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2011, 05:28:57 am »
August 1935: Holidaymakers enjoying a game of leap-frog on the pier at Llandudno.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2011, 06:24:25 am »
Bathing machines on the beach circa 1880. The Baths Hotel is visible in the distance.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2011, 06:25:43 am »
The bandstand circa 1880: