Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 44016 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
What are you reading?
« on: November 28, 2010, 09:28:02 pm »
Mention the book you're currently reading.....

<:<:<:<

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 09:31:54 pm »
I'm currently reading 'The Lasting Honour' by Oliver Lindsay, which is an account of the Fall of Hong Kong in 1941. Very interesting. As The Telegraph review put it: "....does full justice to those who fought to the end to stave off inevitable defeat"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lasting-Honour-Fall-Hong-Kong/dp/0722155425/

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 09:35:08 pm »
A very old Spiller's Dog Book.
( One forgets the finer details of puppy rearing after nearly 13 years !)
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 09:51:26 pm »
My last two books were. "Start the Car" by David Lloyd, Cricket commentator.( I've been a Lancashire (sorry Fester!) cricket club member for as long as I can remember). "My Sh*te Life So Far" by Frankie Boyle - very similar in style to his live act and equally as rude and non pc. Currently "Journey" by Tony Blair - very slow going but one of those books I felt I should read to try and understand how he got where he was and why he made some of the decisions he did.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 11:04:25 pm »
My last two books were. "Start the Car" by David Lloyd, Cricket commentator.( I've been a Lancashire (sorry Fester!) cricket club member for as long as I can remember). "My Sh*te Life So Far" by Frankie Boyle - very similar in style to his live act and equally as rude and non pc. Currently "Journey" by Tony Blair - very slow going but one of those books I felt I should read to try and understand how he got where he was and why he made some of the decisions he did.

Does it give any insight as to WHY Mr Blair converted to Catholicism?   I've always wondered about that.

As for me, I think I have read 2 books in the last 29 years, I have no attention span whatsoever, and I would much rather watch anything of interest on the TV instead.  This isn't a thread for me.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 07:05:24 am »
I've not got to that or the Iraq war bit yet.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 07:36:34 am »
Does it give any insight as to WHY Mr Blair converted to Catholicism

It does, and it gives a fairly good account of his thought processes during his time in office.  He was always a 'latent' RC,but you can't be PM and RC in the UK.

I found that book interesting, if a tad closeted.  If he's being completely frank, then the reasons he gave for invading Iraq hold water, but could just as easily be extended to invading Iran.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline dontheturner

• Never look back, at your past mistakes
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 08:02:17 am »
 Well DaveR, I am finding nothing here to read, other than the books, I shipped, when I came here . - Unfortunately most are in Thail language!  But If you asked 'what is your favourite book?'  Then the one I recommend to most friends - is the George Burrow one - Wild Wales. - Which is very entertaining.  But I do read Mrs Beeton quite often, when hungry!. Don

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 01:07:06 pm »
Does it give any insight as to WHY Mr Blair converted to Catholicism

It does, and it gives a fairly good account of his thought processes during his time in office.  He was always a 'latent' RC,but you can't be PM and RC in the UK.

I found that book interesting, if a tad closeted.  If he's being completely frank, then the reasons he gave for invading Iraq hold water, but could just as easily be extended to invading Iran.

I see... well, I suppose you can't TELL me those reasons, because it would spoil it for The Medz!
Well, I'm not buying it, so I'll have to wait until one of you is ready to enlighten me.
Fester...

Offline Paddy

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 07:16:16 pm »
I'm an avid reader of novels and get through at least one a week. I usually read thrillers which can easily be picked up/put down while I'm sitting on the cab rank.  I've just finished one called The Bombmaker by Stephen Leather which is amongst the best I've ever read.

I also love Jeffrey Archer, who I think is a fantastic story teller and I highly recommend Paths Of Glory which is based on the life of George Mallory who might have been the first man to conquer Mount Everest.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 07:28:48 pm »
I also like thrillers and I'm reading my way through Harlen Coben's books which have a nice touch of humour in them, The latest being "Tell No One"

Yorkie

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 07:48:12 pm »
Personally I hate reading books.  If the first page doesn't grab my attention that is as far as I get.  I have probably read more first pages than most folk have whole books.   I do like Biographies or Auto biographies but nowadays with ghost writers they are not as exciting as some years ago.  I will no doubt have a few more "unreadables" in my Xmas stocking but they will fill a space at a car boot sale.     :laugh:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 09:07:59 pm »
Im with you Yorkie... and people STILL insist on buying me books for Xmas....

In my case its because I have an attention span less than this chappie..
Fester...

Offline dontheturner

• Never look back, at your past mistakes
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 01:53:05 am »

Of course, if any members here, are food lovers, then how about the William Black book

''The Land that Thyme Forgot''?  Don

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 09:09:59 am »
Fallen Angels by Tracy Chevalier was a strange book, but to me a very interesting one despite the 'odd' method of writing. It is set in Highgate Cemetery, a similar idea to 'Her Fearful Symmetry' by Audrey Niffenegger which centres around the same place.
The Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier gives an insight into the world of Vermeer, and The Lady and the Unicorn does the same for Tapestry Weaving in Medieval times.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.