Author Topic: The Lodge, Gogarth Abbey, Llandudno  (Read 11810 times)

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: The Lodge, Gogarth Abbey, Llandudno
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 05:58:16 pm »
What an impressive building, if my Great Grandfather William was the gardener at that time, he would certainly have his work cut out mowing all that grass.

Thank you yet again Hugo, your a star,

Meleri  ;D

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 09:21:08 pm »
Here's a view of the Abbey Hotel showing its location and surroundings, unfortunately undated

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 04:51:06 pm »
Here's a view of the Old Abbey Hotel and the new house that was built on the site of the Abbey Lodge.  They were taken today when I walked around the Great Orme.

Offline Meleri

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2014, 03:31:15 pm »
Thanks for the old photograph Sue, I have a better idea of where the Old Abbey Hotel is now.  $good$

Those two photographs have put me right on which side of the Old Abbey Hotel, the Lodge was. I misunderstood and thought it was to the left, looking from the road. You don't see many of those old charabancs around very often nowadays.

Thanks again Hugo,

Meleri

Offline Hugo

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 05:11:48 pm »
This is a similar photo to Sue's, but is taken a little higher up on the Orme.    The road nearest is the Marine Drive and below that is Llys Helig Drive.     The old Abbey Hotel and the Abbey Lodge shared a private drive just below Llys Helig Drive,

The old Abbey Hotel is on the right and  the new house, where the former Abbey Lodge was is the building nearest to it on the left.   The grass in the garden between the two properties that appears to be scorched, is the site of the old Bishop's Palace built around 1300 and is protected from development.

Offline Meleri

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 04:45:08 pm »
Is there anywhere in the area of your last photograph to park Hugo, or would we have to walk up from the boating lake?

Ellen

Offline Hugo

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 05:03:20 pm »
There is Meleri but it's difficult to describe and is not an official parking area..   I go along the Marine Drive from the boating lake and turn left down Llys Helig Drive,    Just before the main building of the former Abbey Hotel there is a grass verge that I've parked on before.
I took that photo from the Monk's Path that overlooks the two Drives

Offline Hugo

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 05:10:19 pm »
I went to the Conwy Archives today and had a look at various Street Indexes for Llandudno.   These Street Indexes list just one person living at an address and describe their occupation.
The 1925 Street Index list at Gogarth Lodge    W Jones   a gardener
The 1922   "          "                ditto
The  1911  "          "       list at Gogarth Lodge    Charles Smith a journeyman gardener.

Is your relative W Jones?    If so it would appear that the Hotel Gardeners would be living at the Lodge as part of their employment contract.   W Jones was not listed in the 1929 Street Index at Gogarth Lodge so I pressume that he had moved on by then

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 06:15:45 pm »
In 1929 the occupant was A.F. Turner Milk Dealer

Offline Meleri

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2014, 04:05:18 pm »
My Great Grandfather was William Jones, so that would fit nicely, Hugo.
I wasn't aware of the street indexes you mention, but it could be very helpful to me when searching for other members of the family. Have they an index that covers Conway?
Thanks for looking in the Archive, you are a true Gent. Talking about the Archive, rumour has it they are moving it, have you heard anything? They are closing Conwy, Llandudno Junction & Deganwy libraries, so I am wondering if they will put them together.
Thanks Sue, looks like they had moved on then. I know they were living in Cadnant Park, Conway in 1931 when their son died, as it's on the headstone in St Agnes Cemetery.
Will look for the parking area you mention Hugo, I haven't been up that way for years.

Meleri

Offline Hugo

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2014, 05:49:40 pm »
The Street Indexes do cover Conwy and are easy to look up.  The Conwy Archives only has a few Indexes though such as 1911, 1914, 1922, 1925, 1929, 1939 and one in the 1960's (prior to 1964)
They are easy to trace as the person is listed alphabetically and their address given.
I've not heard that the Archives are moving but if there were then I'm sure that they would have told me.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 02:14:07 pm »
The old Abbey Hotel looked impressive yesterday when I was walking along the shoreline

Offline Laurah

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2017, 12:51:02 pm »
Hi everyone!  I've come across this forum during the research of some old family photos. I'm led to believe this building was built by William Frederick Mason who is my great great great great grandfather (I think!) I've attached a photo taken at the house apparently in 1906- William Mason is the one on top row in the middle! Love hearing all about this history!

Offline Helig

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 10:45:47 am »
Thanks for the photos of the Mason family. I have read about them and their occupancy of The Old Abbey, which I think is shown as Gogarth Abbey in the old census returns. I stayed at The Railway Convalescent home twice after having major surgery. They kept some old records of the Abbey, plus archeaological research papers on the ruins of Gogarth Abbey. I read through these and think the house was built for the Mason family c1896. They had the sale documents when it went up for sale for the first time. There was a folder of all sorts of items and I wonder what happened to this after The Railway Convalescent Home sold it.

When I was there, The Lodge was occupied by a very elderly couple and it was put up for sale after they ceased to live there.

Helig.