Author Topic: Tommy and Joan Morris - Awelfryn, Conwy  (Read 2848 times)

Offline belfaststephen

Tommy and Joan Morris - Awelfryn, Conwy
« on: June 09, 2014, 04:12:58 pm »
Hi folks -

I am trying to research Thomas ('Tommy') Morris and his wife Joan Morris (née Blackburn.) Tommy died in 2002, Joan in 2008, and the last address I have for them is:

Awelfryn
Conwy Old Road
Conwy
LL34 6SP

I am from Belfast and don't know the area, so can anyone even tell me what Awelfryn means? I Google Mapped it and saw that it is quite a remote area, so is Awelfryn a B&B or some kind of business?

Hoping someone can help with any information about Tommy and Joan.

Thanks,
Stephen.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Tommy and Joan Morris - Awelfryn, Conwy
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 04:27:31 pm »
Awelfryn means " hill breeze "  but I don't know where it is in Conwy.   There is however an Awelfryn in Conwy Old Road Penmaenmawr.    I wonder if that could be the property?
There are people from Conwy on the forum who know the area well and may be able to say exactly where the house is and may have known the people you are researching

I've just looked at the property in Penmaenmawr and it appears to be a terraced 3 bedroom house near the Golf Course and Bunkers Restaurant

Offline belfaststephen

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 05:38:01 pm »
Thanks, Hugo. I think you are right about Penmaenmawr, as I remember seeing that in Joan's obituary.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 07:08:07 pm »
I've just checked the post code and it is Penmaenmawr.    I've not heard of the Morris' but hopefully someone on here may know them.

Offline belfaststephen

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 05:56:07 pm »
Forgot to add these in my original posts - photos of Thomas and Joan which I found. Obviously taken a long while ago, but might refresh someone's memory regardless.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 06:32:31 pm »
I stopped at Bunker's Bistro in Conwy Old Road for lunch today and took this photo of Awelfryn as it is in a terrace next to the Bistro.
Awelfryn is the white cottage on the left of the photo.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 05:17:43 pm »
I went to the Conwy Archives in Llandudno today but could not find an obituary notice for Tommy Morris in of the copies of the 2002  local North Wales Weekly Newspaper.
I couldn't find  them in the Burial Index for Dwygyfylchi either and the Archivist had nothing for him in the data base either.   Sorry I can't help you any further.