Author Topic: Glyn 'Lou' Lewis  (Read 4173 times)

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
Glyn 'Lou' Lewis
« on: April 25, 2014, 07:37:08 am »
Sad to hear that Glyn Lewis has passed away. A friend of Mike Cox and myself since childhood. He played Double Bass with the Llandudno group 'Blue Notes' with Mike cox , as Mike told on a previous thread.  He continued playing with local 'Jazz' groups until recently. My commiserations to his family ,  friends and fellow Musicians.  He will be sorely missed.  Farewell Lou. Eric Q.
Dictum Meum Pactum

Online Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Glyn 'Lou' Lewis
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 10:32:51 am »
Sorry to hear the news about Lou,  I remember him from the days when I lived in Llandudno, a nice popular guy who always had time for a chat whenever I'd see him.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 11:34:26 am »
Is this the same Glyn Lewis?

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 12:56:13 pm »
I've not seen that before, but I think it must be, he was a Plumber and it is typical of his sense of humour.   :D
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 02:42:29 pm »
In that case, me and Mrs R are very sorry to hear the sad news.

Glyn was a charming man and very good at his job.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 09:59:10 pm »
Very sorry to hear this news. Glyn had done plumbing work for us for nigh on 30 years until his 'retirement'.

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 06:38:40 pm »
Clive (Sweet) phoned and told me about Lou's death early this week (must have been the day after). It's like someone's wrenched it off and ran away with my left arm. Lou had always been a part of me and one of my best mates; one of the originals back in the old Jubilee Street Labour Club Lou, Eddie, and I pissing ourselves laughing when our new pianist, Alan Dyffryn Dairy Hughes (Billy Kyle) came in trying to imitate Jerry Lee Lewis, standing with one foot on the keyboard. Al took it in good faith though and was soon one of us as was Woggsy who he brought along. And Quiggs of course.

Lou's gone to meet Al (died a few years back) again and I can hear them laughing at us silly buggers crawling around here groping about.

Sorry Lou - can't get to your funeral; my mobility is now reduced to about 10 feet (I still refuse to use those foreign measures that knackered our copper pipe sizes).    *cycle*
Micox

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 08:45:59 pm »
Does anyone have the funeral details?

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 06:02:21 pm »
I met Lou's daughter, Zoe on Sun. She said that as Lou was not Religious there would not be a Church ceremony, but she was hoping to arrange some of his Jazz musicians friends to perform by the grave side at St. Tudno's Church up theGreat Orme.it it is on Thursday 8th. May. At 10-30. The grave is just inside the main gate.     We had a long chat together, she told me that Lou had been collecting Clocks and Watches. One was an old Long Case Clock, which she said had a damaged globe on the top, which someone had painted gold, it had a slow monotonous tick---- tock and chimes that went Boingggg. Boingggg, She hated it and kept asking him to get rid of it, to which he shook his head and just smiled, he also had a Cuckoo Clock that had lost the weight, after attempts to make a replacement, he used his plumbing skills to make one out of a piece of copper pipe, to which he filled with 5p. Pieces until he got the correct weight and it now keeps good time.  Whilst going through his effects she found a Will. It made references as to how he wished his family to share his belongings, finishing with:- to my daughter Zoe, I leave the 'Long Case Clock'.  She said to me now I know why the old B---- smiled when I asked him to get rid of it.  At this I just creased up, I could not stop laughing, tears running down my face. Typical of his sense of humour.   Zoe is inviting all to her home, 45 St. Seriols Road, after internment, even those that cannot go up the Orme, where she is displaying old photos of Glyn and friends.  Zoe also said that if anyone has stories and anecdotes, she would be pleased to receive them, or if they would like to relate them at the graveside or give them to the Humanist who will have a few words to say on behalf of the family.    Z**. Cheers 'Lou'
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 10:31:08 am »
Thanks Quiggs, that did make my wife and I smile.

We have been recalling some of the times Glyn came to do work for us. Always my wife would offer him a drink and often on his visits, he shared some lunch with us. In more recent years my wife has particularly liked to have a 'cappuccino' (the sachet type), and on one visit, she offered Glyn one. Well from then on when she rang him to see if he could come to do a job, he invariably asked 'have you got any cappuccino in'. She would say 'yes', and he would say 'I'll be there in half an hour'.

Thank you Glyn. Not just a plumber but a great family friend.

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 05:35:55 pm »
The bike at the end of my last comment is for the time we: Lou, Dick Roberts and me found that Louis Armstrong and the All Stars were appearing at the Liverpool Stadium. Got tickets but no money for train fares - so we got our bikes out!  *cycle* :cyclist40:  *cycle*
Micox

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 12:07:33 pm »
A good turnout for Glyn's funeral at the Great Orme Cemetary earlier this morning despite the drizzly rain.

Farewell and RIP to some one we were proud to have known and considered a great friend.