Author Topic: John "Jack" OWEN bn abt 1875  (Read 1584 times)

Offline jom

John "Jack" OWEN bn abt 1875
« on: February 12, 2014, 12:22:44 am »
I wondered if anyone can tell me about the above gentleman.

John (apparently known as Jack) OWEN was born abt 1875 Llandudno to John and Margaret (Jones) Owen.  (2nd of 7 children although he also had 2 half siblings).  I have found him in all relevant census returns and the 1911 trade directory (Pier official / 2nd mate on pier etc).  I also have his marriage certificate (Wife Ellen OWEN of Menai Bridge).  They were married in 1904, Llandudno.  Ellen at that time was living in Clonmel Street.

I believe he was a farm labourer till about 1903 when he is subsequently noted as a pier attendant / workman / pier official / 2nd mate on pier.

He died in 1931 with his wife noted as Bertha, at 2, Stephen Street, Llandudno.

The family has it that he had a son and a daughter but I know nothing of them and any information would be most welcome.  The 1911 census (Glyn Cottage, Old Road) suggests they had no children at that time so presume any arrived after the 1911 census.

I am also puzzled by his widow being noted as Bertha.  I don't know when Ellen died or if John remarried or even, if Ellen was called Bertha.  I have found nothing about a Bertha OWEN at all.

As I say any enlightenment would be extremly welcome