Author Topic: Ellen/Elinor Lloyd married to Daniel Phillips c1850's  (Read 11555 times)

Offline Helig

• Management board member
Re: Ellen/Elinor Lloyd married to Daniel Phillips c1850's
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2016, 12:00:53 pm »
Hugo, the children born earlier are shown to have been born in Bangor in some cases.

On the 1841 census they have children born before Margaret as follows:

Mary Philips (cannot see her age)
John Philips age 9.
Ellen Philips age 6
Daniel Philips age 3.

In the 1851, the children with the household born before Margaret are:

John Philips, age 18, Miner, born Bangor, Caerns.
Elinor Philips, age 16, Scholar, born Bangor.

There is a tree on Ancestry which shows children born pre 1840 as follows:

John Philips, born either Llandudno, or Bangor, in 1832/33. Died 3 March 1867, Valencia, Spain.
Ellen Philips born Bangor, 18 September 1834, baptised 26 June 1838, Llangystennin.
Elinor Philips, born 1835, Llandudno, or Bangor, Baptised 26 June 1838 Llangystennin.
Robert Lloyd Philips born 4 July 1835, Llandudno, baptised 26 June 1838, Llangystennin, died 1841 Conwy.
Daniel Philips born 1838 Llandudno. Died 3 March 1867, Valencia, Spain. It says "Extreme Clipper Sultana" for his place of death.

There is a curious entry after the birth of Margaret which shows "January 1841, birth of half sister". There are no details given.

Some of the children seem to have been baptised as a sort of job lot in 1838.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2016, 01:10:28 pm »
Thanks for all that info Helig, it makes it a lot easier to trace the Baptism records now.    As they were Baptised in Llangystennin, those Baptism records should be in the Archives and may show the address for the Phillips family in about 1838.
The Llangystennin Parish covered Penrhynside, Glanwydden,  Llangystennin, Pabo, Marl and Daniel Phillips' home town of Mochdre.   So it could be anywhere in those areas, possibly Penrhynside as I've seen something mentioned about that village.
It's sad about the two sons John and Daniel and they must have been on the same boat when they perished in 1867.

The mother's Christian name is clearly stated as Ellen in the Baptism Register but as we know they were sometimes called Elinor or even Nell as my own Nain Ellen was often called.    Do the Census records show where the mother was born?

That entry for the half sister is interesting and in those days most children were Baptised, even the illegitimate children.   The records for illegitimate children always show the mother's name and sometimes show the father's name but not always but the Baptism usually took place soon after the birth so there should be a record of it in the Register.

When you are looking through the Registers it's surprising what turns up and the name rings a bell.  A family on the forum were looking for info on the Owen's of the Great Orme and I saw two entries for illegitimate children for one Owen family member   

Offline Helig

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2016, 12:09:39 pm »
Hello Hugo,

The place of birth for Ellen, Daniel's wife, is shown as Bangor, Caerns, in the 1851, 1861 and 1871 census returns.

The entry for the half sister intrigued me too. The complication would be if the child was fathered by Daniel but baptised in the name of the mother. Unless his name is shown, it would be impossible to trace this child. The entry for the half sister is shown on one of the Ancestry Family Trees only.

I note that Catherine Philips married ito the Dunphy family. There are some lovely photos on the Family Trees, I love to see photos!

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2016, 02:11:34 pm »
Hi Helig,  thanks for telling me about Ellen's place of birth.    The Baptism records for her should be in the Gwynedd Archive but I'm unlikely to going to Caernarfon in the near future.

I didn't notice another entry for a Daniel Phillips in the Register other than those I've already mentioned so I presume that if there is an entry for a child then his name wasn't put on the Register.   I'll have a look again sometime as a matter of curiosity.

PhilMick has been researching the Dunphy family and there is a book in the Archives about the business but I've not had a look inside to see what it is about.

Offline Helig

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2016, 11:32:20 am »
I should think the book on the Dunphy business would be worth reading. I used to love Dunphy's on Mostyn Street, where they kept all sorts of unusual items. Dunphy's corner was another good place for the more exotic foods, plus being s sort of local landmark. Those were the days!

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2016, 08:42:07 am »
I was reading through a book I bought from the Archives and there is a photo in it of a fleet of 6 Dunphy  vans and their drivers taken on the West Shore.     
They had branches in Llandudno, Craig Y Don,  Deganwy,  Conwy and Penmaenmawr as well as the warehouse in Market Street.  It was nice going into those shops in town as they were a bit special.
In the book there's also a photo of the wreck of the boat the Lady Agnes that went aground on the West Shore in 1896,  apparently Stephen Dunphy bought the boat and repaired it and sailed in it for a few years.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2016, 03:42:44 pm »
I had a look at the Baptism Register for Llandudno and could find  no entry for an illegitimate daughter of Daniel Phillips within 10 years of her birth in 1841.    So it remains a mystery, it might be registered in the Eglwysrhos or Llangystennin Register but I didn't look in either of those.