Author Topic: Grave of Elizabeth Kerridge of 2 Clement Avenue, Llandudno who died in 1947.  (Read 12259 times)

Online Hugo

• Management board member
St Agnes Cemetery

Online Hugo

I haven't received an e-mail from the Archives yet but will post it here as soon as I receive it.     

Looking at the dates on the graves it is possible that Freda died in childbirth as Nellie's details fit in with that theory but you say Elsie died in childbirth which if that is the case would be a tragic coincidence.

Offline Helig

Hello Hugo,

Than you very much for all the time and trouble you have gone to on the research for this.

I am amazed at the good condition of the grave of George Kerridge. I have had a number of attempts to locate this in the past and don't know quite how I missed it. I am surprised at the fact Nellie was buried there as she lived in Chester for years. May be it was the fact there was a spare plot in the grave.

At least St Tudno cemetery is well maintained, all credit to the council and church.

St Agnes is much worse than I could have imagined. It has deteriorated since I was there last but that was c10 years ago. I must have past the grave of Henry Kerridge without realising it. It is only in the last couple of years we have known he died in North Wales. it was thought he died in Hove where his wife and family lived. He had a house there as he left it in his Will.

I think the family will need to get together and clear the graves there.

Thank you for the effort in seeking the obituary of Amelia Kerridge. I await this with interest.

Helig.

Online Hugo

Henry's grave has slate kerbs around it but when I visited St Agnes' graveyard I wasn't prepared for how bad it was.  There are brambles and undergrowth everywhere and I only pulled off some Ivy so I could see that I had the correct grave.
If you do go there to clear it, take secateurs etc and wear suitable clothing.

Online Hugo

Helig,  here is a copy of the obituary that appeared in the Llandudno Advertiser on the 15th Feb 1947

Offline Helig

Thank you once more, Hugo. The time and trouble you have taken on this is much appreciated.

Helig.

Online Hugo

You're very welcome Helig and if I'll have a think about any other way that we can find out info about Elizabeth and post it on here if I find anything.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
If of interest, the 1929 directory shows A.E. Ackerley at Ravenscar, 2. Clifton Road

Online Hugo

I was in the Archives today so I had a look at the 1947 issues of the North Wales Weekly News ( It's a newspaper with a wider circulation than the Llandudno Advertiser)  but there was no reference to Elizabeth Kerridge's obituary.  I also looked at Burial Indexes outside of the Llandudno area but couldn't find anything for her so it's a complete mystery as to where she is buried.
I passed Stoneleigh  10 St David's Road on my way there so I took this photo for you. ( it's the building on the left)

Offline Helig

I have only just seen your latest post, Hugo. Thank you once more.

The photo of Stoneleigh brings back many memories. I stayed there in the past when my grandmother was alive. Happy days.

Helig.

Online Hugo

Helig,   I'm wondering if Elizabeth lived in the Colwyn Bay area before she died at Clement Avenue and the reason I'm thinking that way is because the Conwy Archives doesn't have some of the Burial Indexes for Colwyn Bay.
When I next go to the Conwy Archives I'll ask them where are those records kept.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Hugo - if it helps, the burial records for the Colwyn Borough area from 1879 are held at the Crematorium in Mochdre.  Staff there are quite helpful in finding details.  They have all the burial records for the cemeteries vested in Conwy CBC - places of worship retain their own for their graveyards.  The Register Office at the Town Hall has the Death Register indexes for Colwyn and its predecessors.  Apologies if you know this already!

Online Hugo

Thanks very much Cambrian as I didn't know that info and I'm sure that it will come in very handy in the future.

I couldn't find Elizabeth's name in the Street Indexes for Colwyn Bay so I was just grasping at straws with the Burial Indexes for Colwyn Bay so at least I know where to look now.  Thanks again

Online Hugo

I have added this posting just to add to the family history:-
"I was in the Conwy Archives today and was looking through the Marriage Register for All Saints Church Deganwy when I noticed the marriage record.      The entry was at No 23 and was on the 16th October 1922,at the time G F Kerridge was a widower aged 29 and his address was the North Western Hotel Llandudno.   His father was Albert Abraham Kerridge (deceased)
Elsie Weissbeck was a spinster aged 24 and lived at 2 Clifton Road  Llandudno, her father was Louis Weissbeck a jeweller"

Offline Helig

Thank you, Hugo.

This was the cause of some family scandal as George Frederick Kerridge married Freda Weissbeck in 1914. Freda died in childbirth in 1920 and he then married her sister, Elsie Weissbeck. The fact that the Weissbeck family were form Germany, plus marrying his widow's sister, horrified the family at the time. My mother said that George was frowned upon and ostracised from the family.

George and Freda had two daughters, Freda, born 1915, died 1989, and later Nellie, born 1920, died 2005. Freda lived in Handbridge, Chester and I knew her quite well. I met Nellie who also lived in Handbridge. George had two children with Elsie, a son, Leonard born 1924, died 1999, and a daughter, Edna, born 1928, died 1999. Leonard lived in Handbridge too.

George was in the Lost Army of Mesopotamia in WW1. He was taken prisoner in Kut and suffered terribly. His health never recovered and he died prematurely as a result. He is buried in St Tudno's cemetery with Freda. He managed The Alexandra Hotel for his mother for a time but it nearly went under due to his health problems and she took it back off him.

Helig.