Author Topic: Grave of Elizabeth Kerridge of 2 Clement Avenue, Llandudno who died in 1947.  (Read 11934 times)

Offline Helig

• Management board member
This is to ask for a search in the archives for a grave for Elizabeth Kerridge who died in a nursing home in 2 Clement Avenue, Llandudno on 2 January 1947.

There is a linked post at:http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2864.0.html

Hugo has kindly offered to see if he can find a grave in the index.

There are other members of the Kerridge family buried in St Tudno on the Great Orme and in St Agnes in Conwy.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

I'll have a look in the Archives this week and see if I can find anything.   The Conwy Archives have the burial records for most of Conwy County so I can look in the St Agnes one too.

Offline Hugo

I've been to the Conwy Archives and had a look at the Burial Indexes for Llandudno and the surrounding areas but I'm sorry to say that I cannot find anything for Elizabeth Kerridge.
The indexes I looked at were St Tudno's and Llanrhos which should have been the most likely ones but I searched in Llandrillo Yn Rhos, Llangystennin and St Agnes.   There is a possibility that she may have been buried with her husband elsewhere.  Some times if the person is not C of E they could be buried in another church or Chapel that I haven't looked at.

In St Tudno's Church they have a burial for Freda and George F Kerridge at Plot D089,  I don't know if they are your relations or not but Freda died on the 20th Dec 1920 aged 27 years and George F died on 13th Jan 1934 aged 40 years.  Also in that grave is "her brother Karl Weissbeck who passed away 14th Feb 1912 aged 3 and a half years"

I had a look at the Street Index in the Archives and in the one I looked at Amelia Kerridge was listed as living at Glyn Garth, 12 Caroline Road Llandudno.  The house name has been changed but I've attached a photo of how it looks now.( it's the semi on the left)

In the Burial Index for St Agnes Church at Plot A059 Albert Abraham and Amelia Kerridge are buried.   Albert Abraham died 6th Sept 1915 aged 49 years but strangely there is no wording on the headstone for Amelia.   The Headstone is a marble cross and concrete kerbs.

Offline Hugo

There is a possibility that Elizabeth's obituary may have been reported in the local paper "Llandudno Advertiser" and if so will reveal where Elizabeth was buried.  I'll explore this thought when I next go to the Conwy Archives.

Is there any chance that Elizabeth was Jewish?   The only reason I ask is because of the family names of Freda, her brother Karl Weissbeck and Albert Abraham Kerridge.   
In the past many of the Jewish community in Llandudno that have died have been buried in a Jewish Cemetery in Manchester.

Offline Helig

Hello Hugo,

Very many thanks for your time and trouble taken in this research.

Elizabeth Kerridge isn't buried with her husband. He died in 1921 and is buried in Sussex. We know for certain that she isn't there with him. He was Henry Francis Kerridge.

Elizabeth wasn't Jewish. She was born in Arundel, Sussex, her maiden name was Hayler.

The Weissbeck family were married into the Kerridge family. George Frederick Kerridge married Elsie Weissbeck, she died in childbirth and he then married her sister, Freda. The family were disgusted about this and he was ostracised as a result. The Weissbeck girls were daughters of Louis Weissbeck, a watchmaker and jeweller in Llandudno. There are Kerridge/Weissbeck descendants living in the Llandudno area and in Chester to this day.

George Kerridge is quite a close relation, being the brother of my grandmother. I knew that George Kerridge was buried in St Tudno but have never managed to locate the grave. Many thanks for this information. I will try to find where he is on my next visit. He was one of the few to survive being taken prisoner at Kut having been in the Lost Army of Mesopotamia.

Amelia Kerridge was my gt grandmother. She had The Alexandra Hotel in Llandudno before WW2. I have seen the grave at St Agnes in the past. The last time I was there the graveyard was very overgrown but this stands close to one of the entrance gates.

It will be interesting to see if there is an obituary for Elizabeth Kerridge. Once again, many thanks.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

Thanks Helig, you're very welcome.

Next time I go to the Archives I'll look at the Llandudno Advertiser and will also go and find the graves and take any photos of them for you.

In the Burial Indexes they list alphabetically the names of people listed on the headstones but it doesn't mean that those people are buried in that grave.  What I found strange is that Amelia Kerridge and Albert Abraham Kerridge were listed but the only thing for certain is that Albert A. is buried there but there is no mention of Amelia being buried there which seems strange.  I've just looked at my notes again and this is what has been inscribed on the headstone:-

" In loving memory of Albert Abraham
the beloved husband of Amelia Kerridge
who departed this life Sept 6th 1915 agaed 49 years
Peace Perfect Peace
Not sad but beautiful his memory
So calm so bright
Twill lead us through Earth's darkness
Tenderly into God's light"

There is no mention of Amelia being buried there which is strange.   Did she remarry and change her name perhaps?

From memory there have been other postings on the forum under a different heading about A A Kerridge and in 1913 he ran the Bridge Hotel in Conwy.  He also ran the Bluebell Hotel in Conwy and at some time there was an A Kerridge who ran the Junction Hotel (later called the Maelgwn Hotel and the Albert Hotel in Llandudno.

Offline Helig

Hello Hugo,

Thank you so much for you offer to assist with the research on this one.

I thought that Amelia Anna Kerridge was buried in St Agnes. I have seen that gravestone and it is in the shape of a cross, the base has 4 sides to it and my memory is that it has the details for Amelia on one of the sides, those for Albert on another.

Amelia Kerridge died in 1947, she never married again despite the fact her husband,  Albert Kerridge, died in 1915.

The names for members of the Kerridge family you mention are the same line.

I attaching a photo of Amelia Kerridge in her ermine cape. This was taken in Mostyn Street in World War 2, note the soldiers in the background.

Helig.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Really good picture - the two servicemen appear to be US so it will be towards the end of the war - possibly in the run up to D-Day.

Offline Hugo

That's a lovely photo of Amelia and I can remember the shops looking like that.  There must have been a street photographer in that part of Mostyn Street as I have a photo of my Nain (Grandmother)  in that location too.

The headstone is in the shape of a marble cross with concrete kerbs so I'll have a look at it closely and see if there is any writing on it that the Archives haven't got listed.  It will be next week sometime before I go back to the Archives and to the Cemeteries.

Do you know where Elizabeth lived as I looked in some Street Indexes for Llandudno and Conwy and couldn't find any record of her, could she have lived in one of the towns or villages nearby?

Offline Helig

Hello Hugo and Cambrian,

I had an idea that the soldiers were GIs, so am pleased to have this confirmed.

I have other photos of family members in a similar style to this and think that they were all taken by street photographers.

I don't know where Elizabeth lived other than 2 Clement Ave in the nursing home. It is possible she stayed with another member of the family in the town, or Llandudno Junction. She has proved to be an elusive lady after 1894. There was an effective split with her husband in 1894, I won't go into details here. She was in Brighton in 1905, in Camberwell, London with  Frances Gertrude Kerridge, one of her two daughters, in the 1911 census. After that she disappears.

The daughter she was with in 1911, Frances Gertrude, sometimes shown as Gertrude Frances, went to be "Hotel Proprietoress" of The Gwydr Hotel, Dolwyddelan. Frances Kerridge died there aged 28 in 1913. It is possible that Elizabeth followed her daughter and lived with her until her death. The Kerridge relations had pubs and hotels in and around Llandudno, could be one of them put her up.

Helig.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Helig - I have come across a Mrs F Kerridge who was living at 6 Adelphi Street, Llandudno in 1955.  May be someone who married into the family.

Offline Helig

Hello Cambrian,

I think that may have been Florence Kerridge, nee Rowlands. She married Albert Henry Francis Kerridge in 1914. He died in 1955 and I seem to think she lived in Adelphi Street until she died in 1968. I have a vague recollection of visiting her there in the mid 1960s.

A relative of her had Rowlands the fruit and veg shop which was by Dunphys in Mostyn St.

Helig.

Offline Helig

I found the other photo of Amelia Kerridge taken with her daughter, Florence. I think it was done by a street photographer and the location Madoc Street/Trinity Square.

I reckon it dates c1934/5 in view of the age of Florence and the fact she is pushing a pram. I suspect it would have her youngest daughter who was born in 1934.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

I think that may have been Florence Kerridge, nee Rowlands. She married Albert Henry Francis Kerridge in 1914. He died in 1955 and I seem to think she lived in Adelphi Street until she died in 1968. I have a vague recollection of visiting her there in the mid 1960s.

A relative of her had Rowlands the fruit and veg shop which was by Dunphys in Mostyn St.

Helig.

That shop must have been Stange & Co which was near Dunphys and owned by the Rowland family

Offline Hugo

I called at the Archives today and had a look at the 1947 copies of the Llandudno Advertiser but unfortunately there was no obituary notices for Elizabeth Kerridge.    I could not trace her in the various local Burial Indexes or the two for Dolwyddelan either and couldn't trace her in the various Street Indexes either or in the Archives database.

Amelia Kerridge's Obituary notice was in the Llandudno Advertiser of 15th Feb 1947 and the Archives will take a photo of it and pass it on to me via e-mail and I'll post it on here.

I called next at St Tudno's Cemetery on the Great Orme and took a few photos of the grave of George and Freda and noticed that a Nellie Kerridge was also buried there but her name was not listed in the Archives for some reason.

I then went to St Agnes Cemetery and it is in a bad and neglected state but I was able to find the marble cross of George and Amelia's grave but only after pulling loads of Ivy off the headstone.   Henry's grave is in front of theirs but unrecognisable without major clearance of the undergrowth.  The grave for Henry is where the young sapling is growing in the last picture.