Author Topic: Shops in Llandudno  (Read 33369 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: Shops in Llandudno
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 03:29:46 am »
Then when Hotpoint vacated the building Donald Ball of Ball & Boyds used it for his business.

Merediths had a garage down there at one time. I think it was in the Hotpoint building.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 09:49:22 am »
Remember Lo-Cost too? Now HMV in Mostyn Street
The store frontage in that photo dates from the Liptons days, I think. I remember there was a separate entrance on the right hand side (visible in the photo), with a flight of stairs leading up to the first floor. The stairs may still be there as there is still an unused doorway onto Mostyn Street. Didn't someone say there was a cafe on the first floor once? If you look up through the first floor windows now, you can sometimes see a large domed ceiling if the lights are on up there.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 09:51:09 am »
This takes you back a bit

That photo sums up how I remember Llandudno as a child. The shop at extreme right looks to be Halfords, I seem to remember it was also the electrical retailer Rumbelows at one time?

Waffagolf

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 09:56:28 am »
My mum used to take us upstairs to the Liptons cafe very often, I still remember it well. Rumbelows I remember too. Here's Billy Wrights cafe, before and after.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 11:51:13 am »
Thus leaving a good view of the NFU and Avon Insurance Offices were I worked from 2 January 1967 until 31 March 1973.

The Leun Hong Chinese Restaurant (or was it the Hong Shing Bri?  ;D) was further east of Boots, near Williams Typewriter. The rear of the restaurant bordered the car park and had a small yard where they kept crates full of beer bottles.  ZXZ  :laugh:

It was definitely Leun Hong, Trojan.

Mr Wan was a client of mine for many years before his passing.

He is buried up at Llanrhos Lawn Cemetery with a wonderful headstone alongside the drive round.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 05:43:17 pm »
Thus leaving a good view of the NFU and Avon Insurance Offices were I worked from 2 January 1967 until 31 March 1973.

The Leun Hong Chinese Restaurant (or was it the Hong Shing Bri?  ;D) was further east of Boots, near Williams Typewriter. The rear of the restaurant bordered the car park and had a small yard where they kept crates full of beer bottles.  ZXZ  :laugh:

It was definitely Leun Hong, Trojan.

Mr Wan was a client of mine for many years before his passing.

He is buried up at Llanrhos Lawn Cemetery with a wonderful headstone alongside the drive round.

Ah yes, I remembered the discussion on the old forum. Mr Wan had a son Tony I recall. The Hong Shing was in Lloyd St. It became an American style restaurant for a time, DC's Chuckwagon. Isn't that the place Ainsworths have just refurbished into a cafe?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 05:52:21 pm »
No, it was next door, where the Hambone itself is now.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 05:54:11 pm »
No, it was next door, where the Hambone itself is now.

Rodger that.

Offline dogstail

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 08:18:12 pm »

is this where the victoria centre is now?

Offline Trojan

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 01:42:56 am »

Yes, it is.  :)

Offline Karen and Derek

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 11:31:08 pm »
I see some of the Llandudno Local posts have been amalgamated here! Five years ago, doesn't time fly?

Cheers,

Derek.

shops Posted by karen-derek - 2007/07/15 22:41
brilliant bloke full of good humour. I remember the Christmas period, it was hectic but great fun,the
blokes staggering in from the Carlton on Christmas eve to buy the missus some flowers, fond memories
of Martin Payne who bought a big bunch of crysanth blooms and by the time he got 20 yds down mostyn
st there was hardly a petal left on them!! also remember Joyce Elias who worked with me for years.
Great fun.

Offline zxr

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2019, 08:24:48 pm »

Is this referring to a photo? I can’t see the photo now? Thanks 

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2019, 08:50:57 am »
It's this one on page 1:

[smg id=4122]
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2022, 09:55:53 am »
Nostalgia: How Clares department store earned place in North Wales folklore

THIS week’s nostalgia feature looks at a Llandudno department store steeped in almost 100 years of history.

Clares, at 97-99 Mostyn Street, was established by the Baxter family in 1927, which saw it rebuilt into a ladies’ dressmaker’s and milliner’s.

Born into a poor family in Runcorn, Robert Clare Baxter had been so successful by 1927 that he had seven businesses along the North Wales coast.

North Wales Pioneer: A photo of the exterior with all the staff, taken in the 1960s. Photo: David Roberts
A photo of the exterior with all the staff, taken in the 1960s. Photo: David Roberts
This included Baxter’s Bon in Lower Mostyn Street, which sold good-quality men’s clothing.

He later married one of his employees, Mary Lewis, and when he died in 1950, the business continued under the guidance of his son Dougie and grandchildren John and Ann.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19880054.nostalgia-clares-department-store-earned-place-north-wales-folklore/?ref=rss&IYA-mail=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

A 1930s photograph of the interior of Clares showing James Hankers, who was responsible for dressing the windows. If you were asked to dress them while he was on holiday, it was considered a huge honour. Photo: David Roberts