Author Topic: New York City  (Read 3734 times)

Offline Rosy

New York City
« on: November 26, 2013, 10:57:12 am »
Planning a trip to visit daughter in New York next Summer. On browsing the internet in attempt to find visa requirements ( ???) I came across this ...

http://www.wales.com/en/content/cms/English/USA/USA.aspx

... its all a bit vague, but who knows, maybe I now understand why my daughter feels at home there!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 11:04:25 am by DaveR »

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: New York City
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 12:13:49 pm »
Websites need to be regularly updated or else they can give out the completely wrong message.  $walesflag$

Offline Rosy

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 08:59:15 am »
Very true!

So in trying to find requirements for a Welsh lady getting into the America, I am instead directed to a website pulling Americans into Wales. And so I come across this gem of a video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ7bpVwg6gM

... never realised how much Wales can resemble Arabia?

In other news, I am still attempting to find out clear visa information for getting into the States. My daugher has directed me towards this website here - http://www.green-card.com/ - butit appears to be more for those who hope to stay and work there. Can any one offer any advice from firsthand experience?

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 09:50:22 am »
just google what do you require to go to america , you fill a form called e sta online , you can stay for upto 90 days on that.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 10:02:23 am »
There's no visa requirement for UK citizens for up to 90 days' stay.  After that, you need a visa.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline hollins

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 10:14:23 am »
A friend of mine is just back from the US and she had a near miss before going. When she was checking in for her flight 24hrs before departure they asked for her visa waiver number. She didn't have it because she thought you didn't need a visa for a holiday. She was right but you do need to fill in a visa waiver form before you can go.
She found plenty of websites offering that and she did manage to do it at short notice but be warned Rosy!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 10:20:34 am »
They advise you to fill it in online, too. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline hollins

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 11:46:07 am »
Rosy, I asked my friend to remind me exactly what happened to her and this was her reply.

Here is the link: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/
This page gives an explanation but emphasise to people that even if it says you are eligible for a visa waiver, you still have to apply and pay for one! You don't actually receive anything but it  is recorded with US immigration to allow boarding and entry.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 11:52:51 am »
i think the cost is £ 15 you have to write your number down and tell them at departure ,

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 12:06:37 pm »
 From the site:

Some unauthorised websites charge for information about ESTA and for submitting applications. These websites are not endorsed by or associated with the United States Government. Be wary of such sites and businesses, particularly those that seek additional fees for other services.

However, if you combine the trip with a visit from Canada, then you do:

If you’re arriving in the USA by land from either Canada or Mexico and you qualify for entry to the USA under the VWP, you don’t need to complete an ESTA. However, you’ll need to complete an I-94W form on arrival at the border, and pay a processing fee.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 12:14:11 pm »
Again, from the site to which I linked:

All those travelling under the Visa Waiver Programme arriving by air or sea should provide details online at least 72 hours before travel. This is known as an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation or ESTA. If you don’t have an ESTA you’ll be refused travel to the USA.

From the ESTA site:

International travelers who are seeking to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) are now subject to enhanced security requirements and will be required to pay an administrative fee. All eligible travelers who wish to travel to the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program must apply for authorization and then pay the fee

You do need a machine-readable passport, however:

What are the passport requirements for travel under the Visa Waiver Program?

Visa Waiver Program requirements are:

The passport must have a machine-readable zone on the biographic page.
    Issued on or after October 26, 2005 – Each Visa Waiver Program passport issued on or after this date must have a digital photo.
    Issued on or after October 26, 2006 – Each Visa Waiver Program passport issued on or after this date must be an electronic passport with a digital chip containing biometric information about the passport owner.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 12:15:09 pm »
This is all down to the US bolting the stable door a long time after the horses have escaped...