Author Topic: Car Insurance  (Read 19272 times)

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
Re: Car Insurance
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 09:02:52 pm »
I must admit for a couple of times I thought I had a reasonable quote (relatively speaking) I then checked through the details I'd entered on line only to find I'd got so bored by then that I'd transposed years of birth or got the amount of time on full licence wrong by one month. I re-entered that data correctly only to find the premium went up by £500. Tempting though it was to act ignorant I knew the companies wouldn't at claim time. In the end I got to the cheapest I could (there are several third countries with less national debt than this) only to find they wanted to charge me £4.50 for using a credit card. Great joy!

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 11:56:13 am »
You may find this interesting.  On renewal time a few years ago I spotted that my estimate of my future annual mileage was 80,000.  i.e. driving from Llandudno to London and back at least three times a week, every week. I phoned the Company, they told me that this 80,000 was given by me four years before and it had just been carried on. I said it was obvious either they or I had made a mistake and added a nought too many Their reply "Ohh dear. Thats cost you £40 per year for the last four years. We'll see if we will give you a refund."  It came. That was the day you saw me celebrating, not on champagne, more like a few cans of fosters from Asda.  (I think it was about a tenner).

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 01:55:47 pm »
This has hapened to me more than once and I find it quite annoying.   When one of my insurances has come up for renewal I have noticed that the new premium has gone up quite a bit.  I have then shopped around and found another Insurance company that is offering me the same cover but for a much lower premium so I have agreed to go with the new company and have set up all the required procedures etc.
When I have phoned the first company and told them that I am cancelling their direct debit, they have told me that they can match the quote of the new company and advised me that I can cancel the new DD.
Why couldn't they have offered me the same price in the renewal notice and then  I would have remained with them?

Yorkie

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 03:10:48 pm »
Never pay by Direct Debit then you don't have the problems of cancelling them!

With my Insurance I always under estimate my mileage, e.g I give them 9,000.  Then as I approach that figure I phone and revise it with the insurance company to say 10,000.  I find that if there is only a short period left, such as a month, they don't bother to ask for more money.   This prevents paying over the odds for mileage that you don't use!     ZXZ

I am sure there are not many of us who can't guestimate their annual mileage to within 1000, and I don't see any sense in paying for unlimited.

I also tend to change my insurer each year to get introductory discounts.  This year I went to Sheila's Wheels and got the same policy with my old insurer but at an "introductory" price which was less than the renewal premium quoted.   I also phone for my renewal premium one month before it is due for renewal so that I have plenty of time to scour the market.   I feel like a right little meerkat!    :laugh:

p.s. Sheila's Wheels accept men also!   :P

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2010, 05:54:47 pm »
I too would be happy to stay with my current insurer if they would simply match the previous years premium ..which I was obviously happy with.
After all, I haven't claimed so its been 'free money' to them,  so why not recognise a good customer and renew on the same terms?

I am always forced to shop around on comparison websites .. and when you get done its quite easy to proceed to get the cover.

But then you have to phone your OLD policy provider and go through the ridiculous process of telling them NOT to auto-renew.
At which point they will offer you a better deal,  but not as good as the one you just searched for.

Most annoying.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Yorkie

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2010, 06:29:04 pm »
Auto-renew is an option so just opt out of it.  Alternatively terminate by email or fax once you have the renewal documents.     ££$

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2010, 08:07:42 pm »
This car insurance topic is getting my blood pressure sky high.It is my considered opinion that ALL car insurance providers are a load of unscrupulous ba-----s who are nothing but legalised ripoff merchants. Have I made my opinion clear?  Bear in mind my experience.  Driving, and insured, for over 60 years, virtually unbroken, with dozens of companies, starting with the Prudential in 1950.  During that time I have NEVER made one single claim for damage to my car or anyone elses. Of course I've had bumps and scrapes but its always been settled by the other drivers insurance or I've touched up with a paint brush myself.  But around about six years ago my car was stolen from my daughters driveway, and has never knowingly been seen since. It was a, at that time, 14 year old estate car, worth, so I was told, £235.   If you knew the struggle I had to get that £235 you would understand how I feel. It was unbelievable.  And I'm still with that Company, because I don't think there is anything to pick between them, they are all a load of unscrupulous ba-----s.  Mike

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2010, 09:17:33 pm »
I totally agree with Mike, ... very much like SKY TV they are faceless and shroud themselves in administration that makes them incredibly difficult to communicate with.
I dread my renewal because I know what hassle awaits me... that goes for Buildings and Contents too!

Re Yorkie's point about auto-renew.
Some of these companies that appear at the cheaper end of the comparison site pricelist have poor systems and processes, and have no (obvious) way of avoiding auto-renew.   So, you can save money, but you can't avoid hassle!

Fester...

Yorkie

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2010, 07:47:25 am »
Another way to reduce your premiums by up to 30% is to pass an approved Advanced Drivers Test with RoSPA or the IAM.   I have been tutoring people for a few years now and apart from the Insurance aspect they all become better and safer drivers, and generally say that they now enjoy their driving experience more.    )*)&

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 08:47:20 am »
One thing to which I object is that when you cancel a policy you have to do it in writing, yet when they continue a policy with you they can do it over the 'phone. You don't need to sign anything or even send an email to make a contract with an insurance company, oddly.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Dwyforite

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 11:32:28 am »
and another thing to watch out for ,is if you try to cancel on the phone and have insured with someone else  they will still take the premium as your bank details on still on their file,i allways thought that your details were destroyed after every transaction over the phone,i found out this year that is not the case and had to wait nearly a month to get a payment back

Yorkie

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 01:27:20 pm »
Such a payment would be taken by Direct Debit.  You should instruct your bank to cancel the Direct Debit just before you cancel the policy with the Insurer.    If any money is then taken you have the Bank's DD guarantee.   Even if you cancel by phone it is best to follow up with a written confirmation.    >>>

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 08:25:32 pm »
Good advice that ... online banking makes that action very easy.
I WILL be doing that with my insurance company ... it worked like a dream with my Gym in Yorkshire .... and they DID continue to try and take payments but failed!    Hassle avoided!
Fester...

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2010, 07:01:39 pm »
Fester-----you a member of a Gym?      Only asked!!! ;D

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2010, 11:52:47 pm »
A bit cheeky of you Mike... but just look at me, how else do you think I got like this?
Fester...