Author Topic: Car Insurance  (Read 19250 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Car Insurance
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2010, 08:46:21 am »
 _))* _))* _))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2010, 07:44:06 pm »
Oh great Joy. In my attempts to ensure the Insurance company with which I finally paid an arm and a leg for my son's car insurance had all the correct details I checked out the Policy schedule  when it arrived through the post. They had unfortunately got the year which I purchased the car as the same date on which it was registered (2002) when it should have been 2007. i rang them up expecting them to say "thank you for updating us". What i wasn't expecting was "thank you for updating us and that's another £91 you need to pay, Apparently the length of time you have owned the car is one of the Risk categories that changes the premium.  And yet when i went online and got another quote( as if I hadn't bought the car yet)  it was the same price as if I'd purchased it in 2002.

Yorkie

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2010, 07:51:42 pm »
I would immediately look around for another quote.  If you bought on line you can cancell the policy and obtain a refund within the time limit of the Distant Selling Regulations.  Not sure of the time limit for Insurance policies so you'll have to look it up! 

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2010, 08:33:55 pm »
Unfortunately even with the extra  they were still the cheapest quote in the market place. I must be getting old because, for now,  I've just about had enough and can't be bothered going on line and spending hours trying to get a cheaper quote. I argued with them and got the additional cost  reduced to £80. Good news is the car passed it's MOT without needing any work. Swings and roundabouts !!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2010, 12:47:19 am »
I'm with you Medz,  sickening isn't it?

Every now and again, it may be more costly, but for the sake of your health and an easy life, you just have to concede defeat...  >?>?? >?>??
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2011, 02:17:44 pm »
Car insurance is a strange thing, a few weeks ago we renewed the cover for er indoors's 2001 Nissan Micra which is a one litre car, the best we could manage was around £200 up around 30% from last year.  Today I searched for Classic car quotes for a 1972 Bentley with a 6.75 litre engine, for a mileage limit of 5000 per anum and agreed value, etc and quotes start at just £126, makes no sense at all?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Yorkie

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2011, 04:41:00 pm »
It's all a matter of risk assessment.   I had my Honda S2000 fully comp, unlimited mileage for under £300 p.a.   New owners aged under 30 being quoted anything from just under £1,000 to this poor chap:  "Just taken a policy out through Axxxxx Fxxx £2344 , £500 excess. 5years driving, 2 years NCB 9 points".   And that's not the most expensive!

If they don't hit you with the premium they demand large Excesses!   ¢¢##

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2011, 10:11:08 pm »
My 20 year old nephew has just bought his first car.  Worth £2700.
He has paid his insurance.....costing £2800 !!

I read the Court reports out to him,  ''Driving without Insurance, Fine £140''

What the hell is the point getting insured?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2011, 02:47:56 am »

_))*

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2012, 02:44:47 pm »
Like a silly fool I had stuck with DirectLine for well over 15 years. No accidents or claims in all that time but did on 2 occasions earn 3 points for SP30 fixed penalty points. When my renewal came in this time I checked all the majors who don't appear on comparison websites to find that like for like I was being over charged by a minimum of £80. I telephoned DirectLine and asked what the problem was. They immediately offered a new quote that was in the region of the others. Well that got my goat so I went looking and got a quote with Aviva that provided me with better cover for a saving of £133 over my original DirectLine quote. >>>
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2012, 04:06:59 pm »

Because nowadays they are confiscating the cars and crushing them.  What happens if a person is injured it can be a lot more than a fine then? 

But you're quite right. - insurance is not worth anything - UNTIL YOU HAVE TO USE IT!   &shake&
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator

akmetr84

Car Insurance
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2015, 09:29:48 pm »
Agreed value or not, if the worse happens youll only be paid the market value for your car.

You will however pay more for your insurance to get a certificate to massage your ego.

Ring your insurer and if they will write you a cheque for the agreed value if the car is written off/stolen etc? The will, without doubt, say no.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2015, 11:48:33 pm »
Not when you have a classic car agreed value policy, I have 3 classic cars covered for £175, they would pay out the agreed value, no doubt, there would be uproar in the classic car world otherwise!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2015, 03:00:32 pm »
Car insurance premiums on the rise, says AA

The AA's index of the cheapest deals on the market showed that the cost of annual comprehensive car insurance rose by 5.2% in the three months to the end of June.
Drivers aged 23 to 29 have seen a 6.2% rise over the same period, the biggest increase of any age group.
They typically paid a premium of £683.
"Insurers have been releasing their reserves to maintain their competitive edge to the point where this is no longer sustainable - and we are seeing premiums beginning to rise once more," said Janet Connor, managing director of AA Insurance.
"The days of cheap car insurance premiums are over - price rises are inevitable."
A quote for a typical comprehensive motor insurance policy for all age groups has risen to £549.
The AA estimates that the rise in insurance premium tax, announced by Chancellor George Osborne in the Budget, will add £18 to the cost of the average comprehensive car insurance policy.
The insurer also reported a 1.3% rise in the index of cheapest home and contents insurance premiums, the first increase since 2012.
The average premium for a contents policy has hit £61.18 with the typical buildings premium up to £108.15.
REFBBC