Author Topic: Car Insurance  (Read 19281 times)

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
Car Insurance
« on: November 16, 2010, 11:17:29 pm »
Well p*ssed off today. After spending ages looking on the internet (including bl**dy Meerkats) I have been unable to get a quote for my son's car insurance where the annual premium is less than than the value of the car.  Also it now seems to be cheaper to go fully comprehensive than third party. It just doesn't make sense.

Offline Paddy

Re: Car Insurance
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 11:47:28 pm »
I feel your pain Medz, I've been trying for my son for ages. Have a look at "insurethebox".

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 08:06:42 am »
The fully comprehensive thing is odd.  We have the same problem, although ur boys are now in their early twenties, and the cost is coming down. I did read that 30% of the cost is down to fraud...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 09:41:09 pm »
Who or what is Meerkats?  Then---who or what is bl--dy Meerkats? Mike

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 10:33:50 pm »
its 'Compare the Market' not to be confused with 'Compare the Meerkat' the well known tv advert for car insurance, hence lots of shops with toy meerkats for sale  D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 11:07:58 pm »
 I sympathise with you Medz. I recently offered to buy my 19 yr. grandson, a university student, a Ford Fiesta which cost £600. The lowest quote he got for 3rd. party ins. was, wait for it. £2;600.00. so that was the end of that idea.   :(
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 12:04:22 am »
I posted on OSCAR on his very subject today ... and the jist of my point is...

Why should anyone bother trying to get legally insured and taxed when the cost is well in excess of £2000,  and the usual fine imposed for driving WITHOUT tax or insurance is in the region of £100

A terrible dilemma to find yourself in as a young person!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 07:10:03 am »
A lot depends on the car, of course.  Youngsters have to be realistic and go for the most basic car they can find.  Even then, however, getting it insured in their own name is likely to be prohibitive at the start, so the usual route is to insure them on a parent's car.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 08:17:53 am »
It makes you wonder how everyone managed not that long ago when only richer people had cars.... ^*^0

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 09:35:01 am »
Thats the same with telephones, televisions, more latterly computers.... and in your case Dave cameras.
Wouldn't like to be without any of those would we?

Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 05:52:38 pm »
Plenty of people (both rich and poor) manage perfectly well without cars, do they not?  ;)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 06:05:59 pm »
I would'nt like to be without a car, I love the freedom of it, having said that one of the attractions of living here was the limitless walks and excellent cycle paths  from Penrhyn Bay,  but I do still enjoy driving  ^*^0
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 08:30:43 pm »
My car was written off four years ago by a young driver who I later found out wasn't insured to drive his girlfriends car.   :rage:
If there is a next time and I think there is a doubt about the insurance cover I won't be so understanding and will call the Police straight away.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 12:09:58 am »
Plenty of people (both rich and poor) manage perfectly well without cars, do they not?  ;)

We will see about that Dave, at 2.30pm next Thursday!    :weeping: :weeping:

Fester...

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 07:47:13 pm »
My pet theory about car insurance. The companies ask so many questions before they issue, if, maybe in innocence, you answer one of the incorrectly (like mixing upkeeping the car on a drive or in a garage) then, if you make a claim and they find out, they wont pay out. To my mind it is therefore in their interest for you to tell lies or make mistaked, they then collect the premiums with no risk attached.   To hell with the honest potential customer, we would rather have a load of villans who pay the premiums just so as to get the cover note  Mike