Author Topic: Favourite TV Shows  (Read 104278 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Favourite TV Shows
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 11:36:47 am »
I was once on a TV show, A  group of us from Bangor Tech were staying at the Devonshire street YHA in London when we were told of a "Disco"  in the Basement, When we got there and saw the cameras, we were told it was a documentary promote British tea! Jimmy Savile was the DJ so that was exciting, next he introduced Dr Magnus Pyke who was telling us interesting scientific facts between records, after about 15 minutes Eammon Andrews arrived to surprise Dr Pyke with the big red book - "This is your Life"!  When they left to go to the real studio Jimmy stayed and chatted to us, he was a real gent, and told us of places he'd been to in North Wales. He had half a moustache and a beard at the time and a large ring on his finger that he used as an ashtray for his enormous cigar!
I never did see the actual programme, I think it may have been Live at the time (around 1975)

Met him in 1979 when my Dad was a patient in Leeds General Infirmary. Jimmy worked as a volunteer porter
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 10:00:17 pm by Nemesis »
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 11:43:03 am »
When my mum worked nights in Llandudno hospital she came across him in the staff canteen there and had a good chat with him!

Offline Trojan

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 05:17:06 pm »
When my mum worked nights in Llandudno hospital she came across him in the staff canteen there and had a good chat with him!

Well....howz about that then!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 09:38:14 pm »
The Louis Theroux documentary on Jimmy Saville was fascinating.

When Louis Theroux met Jimmy Savile - the flat in Scarborough - BBC

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 10:38:51 pm »
Is it me, or does anyone else think that Jenny Eclair (on the Jungle Celebrity thingy), looks a lot like Ben Elton?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Scott

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 11:05:46 pm »
The Louis Theroux documentary on Jimmy Saville was fascinating.

I agree it was he's one very strange bloke.
I went on a biking weekend to Fort William recently (it's a damn long way to go for a weekend from Yorkshire) but we drove right past his house down Glencoe it's the tiniest little place in the middle of nowhere but the scenery was absolutely awesome and it was quite obvious that he likes isolation.

We did check as we past by....there was no-one around and no shell suit on the washing line  L0L

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 07:57:58 am »
I agree it was he's one very strange bloke.

I think that's an understatement.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 10:41:05 am »
My OH knew a lady in Leeds in the 60s called Muriel Smith who was Jimmy's hairdresser. He had every colour under the sun from week to week including tartan ! Jimmy that was before you all jump in with both feet !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2011, 01:39:48 pm »
I was flicking through the channels last night and came across a programme called Tool Academy.  It was so funny. Basically 12 girlfriends nominated their boyfriends to take part in the programme. The lads thought they were taking part in a competition to be Britains Hunkiest Guy. I know its tight but I had to laugh when the lads found out why they were actually there, their faces were a picture, a lot of male ego bruising going on.  _))* _))* Tool Academy does exactly what it says on the tin.
You know when Ann Robinson says "you are the weakest link" well on this programme the loser of the day gets told "sorry mate, you are just a tool" hehehehe brilliant.

Can you imagine if the shoe was on the other foot and your boyfriend had said he was entering you into a contest for Britains Best Girlfriend, only to arrive and discover you were actually anything but.  L0L

No sack that, Its not funny, I'd actually go mental.
Afraid I'm hooked now, got to watch it again.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2011, 08:47:49 pm »
My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. That is all.  :o ;D

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 08:57:08 pm »
My son and his girlfriend brought this to our attention when we went over to see him in Uni last week. I'm now going back through the web archives to get the previous few programmes in  the series.  Unbelievable.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 09:03:59 pm »
I have to thank Mrs Fester for pointing me in the direction of this one.  :o

Interesting in lots of ways, especially in how the normal image of the gypsy/traveller community is challenged. The moral code for the young girls is far stricter than for girls in the normal community - cant go out on their own, cant go on a date unless chaperoned, cant drink alcohol until they get married etc.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2011, 12:42:36 am »
Can't get a job.... can't pay income tax..........can't contribute to society in any way....

Mrs Fester watches rubbish!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2011, 01:57:12 am »
Can't get a job.... can't pay income tax..........can't contribute to society in any way....

Mrs Fester watches rubbish!

_))* L0L _))* L0L _))* L0L _))*

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2011, 09:11:27 am »
The moral code for the young girls is far stricter than for girls in the normal community - cant go out on their own, cant go on a date unless chaperoned, cant drink alcohol until they get married etc.

But...they have to leave school at 12 or 13, to take care of the extended family, they have a very sexually precocious behaviour when dancing, even from a very young age it seems, and the same strictures don't appear to apply to the boys.  

What's been disappointing is that we've only seen the Irish Travellers thus far;  I'd be more interested in seeing the Roma.  
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.