Author Topic: Favourite TV Shows  (Read 103519 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Favourite TV Shows
« Reply #195 on: January 24, 2018, 04:28:56 pm »
It's currently on Fox TV, F, which is on sky, Now TV, Virgin and Talk Talkl;  I only heard of it in passing, when someone earlier this year was slagging it off and a Star Trek enthusiast told them to go away, since the series was proving much better than anyone anticipated.  I suspect having McFarlane at the helm hasn't helped, as he's known mainly for Family Guy, which a lot don't like, but watching it I was genuinely surprised at just how good it is.

Except.... I LOVE Family Guy. 
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #196 on: January 24, 2018, 06:51:37 pm »
Okay....  But you'll probably still enjoy The Orville.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #197 on: December 03, 2018, 10:22:21 am »
Currently working our way through Vikings. It's been very good, especially the raid on Paris in season 3. 

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #198 on: December 03, 2018, 11:02:11 am »
Currently working our way through Vikings. It's been very good, especially the raid on Paris in season 3.
I enjoyed Vikings, and the raid you mentioned, it never crossed my mind that they attacked cities like Paris,   just the usual pillaging around Britain and Ireland.

Vikings Attack Paris: How Closely Did the TV Show Follow History?
https://www.tvinsider.com/1555/vikings-history-raiding-paris/

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #199 on: March 25, 2019, 12:35:50 pm »
Just finished the first season of The haunting of Hill House. If you like spooky stuff, then it’s well worth watching.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #200 on: August 17, 2019, 11:56:21 am »
A curious comedy started a year or so ago and I watched it, for need of something better to do, until eventually I was drawn into it. It's only 13 episodes in length, and the second season proves even better than the first - unusual in US comedy series.

The show is called The Good Place and if you fancy trying it, best not to look up what wiki says about it. It's a rare item, scoring 100% on various critics' sites, including Rotten Tomatoes, and there are almost no laugh-out-loud moments.  What it does do, however, is explore ethics, people, perceptions and good vs evil.  It's on channel 4, I think (or 5, it may be) and it's definitely from the quirky stable, so you may find yourselves watching the first 10 episodes with a mild feeling of bemusement. But it's actually turned out (for me, anyway) a great deal better than I imagined it would.

Certainly  worth watching.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #201 on: September 03, 2019, 02:11:58 pm »
I caught bits of a programme on BBC Wales last night " Tudur's Flashback holiday's " quite a lot of clips from the 50/60s, showing Conwy, Llandudno and I think Col.Bay, available on BBCiplayer for a short time.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #202 on: September 10, 2019, 10:02:51 am »
I am watching channel 4's new series "Call the cops" at the moment, and it is very different to the expected police action, chases etc. it is centered on the control room, we all know about budget cuts, and less police on the streets, this program is showing the continual mental strain involved in prioritising  which job to deal with, an example from last night, the 13 year old threatening to jump off a bridge or the 14 year old about to stab his father,........ and having to live with the consequences of making the wrong call.         

Police article
https://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/News/NewsArticle.aspx?id=f612b3bc-cf1e-4054-90e5-c72f297892f1

Local paper article
https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/celebs-tv/devon-cornwall-polices-chief-verdict-3300158

Offline SteveH

« Reply #203 on: September 11, 2019, 10:07:22 am »
A bit of a local slant re above Police priorities...................  ref DP

“But we don’t police speed anything like we used to 10 years ago or before that, yet we still get the old “police only catch speeders.”

“You will rarely see a police officer standing out with a speed camera as we simply don’t have the time to do that nowadays with so many complex mental health and welfare needs to deal with.

“There were days when we spent all our days on crime but we are now dealing with so many more social issues than in years gone by.”

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-wales-police-still-tarred-16899056

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #204 on: September 11, 2019, 10:56:38 am »
What an eye opener to see how stretched the force is.
The question is how have we allowed it to happen  ?

The PM and his party have allowed this situation to happen. How long will it take train all the new police officers ?
As for the Brexit idea of our own fishing waters. With only 4 fishery patrol boats how are we going to police the area.
 The whole thing is a joke. Not a funny one !

Offline hollins

« Reply #205 on: October 30, 2019, 03:06:39 pm »
For followers of Coronation Street tonight is the Chesney and Gemma in Llandudno incident!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #206 on: October 30, 2019, 03:41:18 pm »
Thanks for the reminder Hollins,  I'll have to  watch that

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #207 on: October 31, 2019, 09:10:48 am »
For followers of Coronation Street tonight is the Chesney and Gemma in Llandudno incident!

For once this episode was funny. Gemma and that beach ball up her front!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #208 on: October 31, 2019, 03:39:11 pm »
Coronation Street stars gush over North Wales as ITV release exclusive behind-the-scenes footage
The cable-car scenes in Llandudno were a 'first' for the cast and were aired on TV last night
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/coronation-street-stars-gush-over-17175771

Offline Hugo

« Reply #209 on: January 23, 2020, 02:38:41 pm »
I have always enjoyed watching TV programmes on walking and think that the walks by Fishlock, Julia Bradbury and Weatherman Walking are well worth seeing
However last night because I had recorded too many programmes on my Humax machine I watched Yorkshire Walks on BBC 2 Wales.  The presenter Shanaz Gulzar was exploring the Wensleydale area and I must admit that it was the most boring and amateurish thing that I have ever seen on TV.      I'm now under strict orders from Mrs H not to record that programme ever again as even to an avid fan of walking that was just dire

On a much happier note we later watched Spy in the Wild on BBC 1.   What an incredible bit of filming as camouflaged spy cameras go undercover in the animal world.  That's one we will definitely watch next week