Author Topic: Favourite TV Shows  (Read 103519 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Favourite TV Shows
« Reply #210 on: January 23, 2020, 03:29:55 pm »
Posted by: Hugo
« on: Today at 02:38:41 PM »Insert Quote
I have always enjoyed watching TV programmes on walking and think that the walks by Fishlock, Julia Bradbury and Weatherman Walking are well worth seeing
However last night because I had recorded too many programmes on my Humax machine I watched Yorkshire Walks on BBC 2 Wales.  The presenter Shanaz Gulzar was exploring the Wensleydale area and I must admit that it was the most boring and amateurish thing that I have ever seen on TV.      I'm now under strict orders from Mrs H not to record that programme ever again as even to an avid fan of walking that was just dire

On a much happier note we later watched Spy in the Wild on BBC 1.   What an incredible bit of filming as camouflaged spy cameras go undercover in the animal world.  That's one we will definitely watch next week

Hugo, your post reminded me, that I have been meaning to check out game camera's, for use in the garden, my quick search was quite surprising,............ a Victure Wildlife Camera 16MP 1080P Trail Game Camera Motion Activated Infrared Night Vision with 2.4" LCD Display IP66 Waterproof Design for Outdoor and Home Security, for £31.88,......... considering the price I will be looking into further, and I suspect so will you.     

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victure-Wildlife-Activated-Infrared-Waterproof-Camouflage/dp/B07H7D83PZ/ref=asc_df_B07H7D83PZ/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=311138575812&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5618894088001289644&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045244&hvtargid=aud-860880339348:pla-564130727683&psc=1

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #211 on: January 24, 2020, 10:39:20 am »
On a much happier note we later watched Spy in the Wild on BBC 1.   What an incredible bit of filming as camouflaged spy cameras go undercover in the animal world.  That's one we will definitely watch next week[/quote]

Hugo, your post reminded me, that I have been meaning to check out game camera's, for use in the garden, my quick search was quite surprising,............ a Victure Wildlife Camera 16MP 1080P Trail Game Camera Motion Activated Infrared Night Vision with 2.4" LCD Display IP66 Waterproof Design for Outdoor and Home Security, for £31.88,......... considering the price I will be looking into further, and I suspect so will you.     

Thanks for posting that info Steve, it sounds like a good camera and at a great price too.     I'm sure that you'll be surprised at the visitors that come to your garden including those Goats!
My neighbour used a similar camera and this is one of her results, we have it framed on our lounge wall

Offline Hugo

« Reply #212 on: January 26, 2020, 12:41:48 pm »
I've had a chance to watch some TV programmes recently and have been watching & recording Coach Trip on Channel E 4.      It's a reality show featuring Z list celebrities going on an overseas coach trip where they participate in certain games on the trip and at the end of the day have to vote off a couple of the "celebs" that they don't want to travel with any more.
It's light watching and can be entertaining in parts
This week the coach picked up Louie Spence then Mr Motivator.     Louie was Louie and was bitching and mincing from the start and then unexpectedly and without warning left the coach trip before he could be voted off.
Mr Motivator was joined then by Tim Vincent and I was quite surprised and disappointed by Mr Motivator.      The self styled fitness fanatic and the world's leading fitness instructor didn't  # say yeah  when it came to doing any physical activities.   What a wimp and he didn't accept getting voted off the coach very well.     
I'm looking forward to this week's coach journey

Offline Hugo

« Reply #213 on: January 29, 2020, 01:03:21 pm »
Just a reminder for anyone that is interested, Spy in the Wild is on BBC 1   tonight at 9.00pm.     It's about spy cameras that go undercover to film creatures in the wild.
Tonight it covers Snow Monkeys in Japan as well as millions of Butterflies in Mexico

Steve, it might be worth watching to give you some ideas for that camera that you were interested in

Offline SteveH

« Reply #214 on: January 29, 2020, 02:07:01 pm »
Steve, it might be worth watching to give you some ideas for that camera that you were interested in

H, your post made me smile,  :)  I don't think I could compete with "Snow Monkeys in Japan as well as millions of Butterflies in Mexico" however I will have a go at some activity in the garden, but I will watch tonight, and see how the professionals do it, Ta.

Offline SteveH

Re: TV licence increase
« Reply #215 on: February 03, 2020, 05:31:27 pm »
The cost of the annual television licence fee will increase from £154.50 to £157.50 from April 1, the BBC has said.

The fee is set by the Government, which announced in 2016 that it would rise in line with inflation for five years from April 2017.

The new cost equates to £3.02 per week – or £13.13 per month, according to the broadcaster.

The price change will not currently have an impact on the free over-75s TV licence.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #216 on: February 04, 2020, 03:29:26 pm »
An article in the daily mirror:- 1,500 strong silver voices group wants over - 75s to apply to the BBC FOR THE BENEFIT Knowing they are not entitled to it, it hopes the costs incurred will pressure them to strike a deal with the government, we are suggesting a ‘gum up the works’ campaign of civil disobedience  $hands$. bring on the revolution
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #217 on: February 13, 2020, 05:49:25 pm »
There is an interesting show on BBC1 called The Goes Wrong Show that's just finished a six week run.

The show is based on the concept of an amateurish (read inept) theatre company putting on a 30 minute play each week in each of which if something can go wrong, it does.

The idea comes from the successful run of The Play That Goes Wrong on both the West End and Broadway culminating in a nationwide USA tour. When The Play That Goes Wrong was staged at the Old Red Lion pub theatre in 2012 the recent Lamda graduates were in minimum wage jobs by day and performing at night. Only a handful of people bought tickets for the first show before it became a word-of-mouth hit.

So what's it about? Imagine you're at your grandchildren's school play and the inevitable massive mistake happens, and you've got the picture. It's a formula that's been packing them in at three West End venues, a Broadway theatre (which JJ Abrams  co-produced) and throughout their US nationwide tour. But it won't appeal to some.

It's incredibly cleverly done; props go awry, scenery collapses, timing is all over the place, cues are missed and characters are bizarre. But these are intentional errors and the mistiming is highly accurate. It's true laugh-out-loud comedy and slapstick for those who loved Morecambe and Wise's Plays and Frasier, the writing of which influenced the show's creators.

The precision of the show is flawless- which takes a lot of hard work and rehearsal, and there are numerous subtleties. However, for those who want a relief from the times in which we live, this is first class escapism. If you choose to watch it, expect nothing deep but pure, unadulterated slapstick and humour. One of the funniest shows I've seen for years.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #218 on: April 05, 2020, 09:34:09 am »
Last Friday  ( 3rd April )  there was a very interesting programme on Channel 5 at 8.00 pm.    It was called Walking Britain's Lost Railways and would appeal to walkers and railway enthusiasts alike.
Rob Bell visited Bangor in N Wales where he explored the lost line that was built in 1801 to transport Welsh slate from the local quarry and it was interesting to see some actual footage of the trains that once ran along the lines he visited.

My walking mates and I have walked along part of the route Lon Las Ogwen and it's a very interesting walk with viaducts, bridges and a long tunnel at Tregarth.
The first time we ever walked along the route from Bethesda I got the actual start of the walk wrong but by a sheer fluke it was at the start of the narrow gauge railway and it was interesting to see how it was and that area is also covered in the TV programme

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #219 on: April 07, 2020, 08:21:39 pm »
watched a film called Contagion on net flix , it was filmed 9 years ago, it might have been today, well worth a watch

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #220 on: April 08, 2020, 10:43:12 am »
Not seen it, but the real scientific community says it's one of the best portrayals of an epidemic in scientific terms ever made.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #221 on: April 08, 2020, 07:55:20 pm »
would'nt argue with that, realy hits home to the reason to stay at home. Please take care every one and stay at home untill you get the all clear. I got my text message yestrday to say im on the hit list and to stay indoors for 12 weeks get someone to take my rubish to the bin and not to touch it, i should leave a window open but not leave the house, Im lucky i have my wife to help out and our back garden is isolated so at least i can stretch my legs. as i play golf at least 3 times a week it might as well be a jail sentence but if its a choice of catching the darn virus or staying in and stopping me from getting it and maybe passing it on to my wife , then there is no contest . At least i have the pleasure of reading the posts on the T.T.F. and it  fills a space in a somtimes very frustrating day. Once again take care all.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #222 on: April 08, 2020, 08:19:51 pm »
And you, mate. Not an easy time for anyone.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #223 on: April 09, 2020, 08:42:37 am »
All the best to you Snowcap and everyone else.
Believe it or not my OH and I were taking our daily exercise on the lane behind us when 2 women and 2 kids on bikes approached. We stood in the edge of the road to let them pass. They laughed at us and announced that all the precautions we are all taking weren't necessary as the virus didn't exist. ! We stared open mouthed as they announced that it couldn't, as they didn't know anyone who had got it. How b****y daft can you get?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #224 on: April 09, 2020, 09:49:03 am »
There is a small but appreciable minority of idiots that still believe that. Some social media has a lot to answer for.