Author Topic: Favourite TV Shows  (Read 106698 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Favourite TV Shows
« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2016, 11:08:08 pm »
It's gripping stuff, but I have some real problems with the scripting, which at times has bizarre and unnecessary events chucked in which have no relevance to the plot.

Real life does that quite often!  :D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: May 04, 2016, 10:45:48 am »
Just finished the second series of True Detective. It didn't get a great critical reception but I thought it was fantastic anyway, well worth watching.

We've now just started on Game of Thrones and are halfway through Season 1. It's gripping stuff!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #137 on: May 04, 2016, 11:48:39 am »
Game of Thrones is rubbish,  but still available on catch up TV is 'The People vs OJ Simpson'

Absolutely captivating, and you we all know the outcome (or we think we do), but the lengths the legal people and politicians went to during the saga beggars belief.

One of the best drama documentaries I've ever seen, and superbly scripted and acted.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #138 on: May 04, 2016, 01:01:52 pm »
Game of Thrones is rubbish

You know nothing Fester!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #139 on: May 04, 2016, 01:23:52 pm »
Game of Thrones is rubbish

You know nothing Fester!
As is borne out by my less-than impressive win-loss percentage against you at Scrabble!!
Fester...

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #140 on: May 04, 2016, 09:11:00 pm »

We've now just started on Game of Thrones and are halfway through Season 1. It's gripping stuff!

We have never watched Game of Thrones but when we were in Ireland we kept being asked if we were fans of the series because much of it is filmed in the areas we were visiting.
They do Games of Thrones tours.

http://blog.visitbelfast.com/game-of-thrones

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: May 19, 2016, 09:32:20 am »
Just finished Season 2 of Game of Thrones and it's just getting better and better.  $good$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #142 on: May 19, 2016, 11:59:49 am »
Just finished Season 2 of Game of Thrones and it's just getting better and better.  $good$

Look, we've been through this already, I've already told you, it's rubbish!
Fester...

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2016, 03:28:13 pm »

For once I agree with Fester  :o

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #144 on: May 19, 2016, 07:51:43 pm »

I'm sorry, but you're just WRONG!
How much of it have you actually watched before making this decision?
I genuinely think it is the best television series ever produced and the scale of it is just EPIC.
I'm half way through Season 6 at the moment and can promise DaveR he hasn't seen anything yet, scenes like the Red Wedding leave you absolutely speechless and are so pivotal you wonder where the story can go next but it always finds a way and just gets better and better!
As I said previously, "You know nothing Fester!"  (DaveR will get this reference in Season 3!)
Valar Morghulis

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #145 on: May 19, 2016, 11:54:27 pm »
I watched quite a bit of it actually, because I liked the spectacle of it, the CGI effects and most certainly the excellent theme tune.
But then I got turned off by some of childish notions of these inter-connecting lands, the gratuitous violence seemingly just for the shock value, and the extent of the fantasy, (pet dragons etc)
It was like an X rated Harry Potter almost.
Then, 2 weeks ago I started watching again, the latest series.  I even Sky-plussed the series.
Again I was mesmerised by the effects,  but then my same old objections came to the fore again, so I cancelled it off.
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: May 20, 2016, 08:04:47 am »
It certainly divides opinions. One thing I disliked was the tendency for the writers to make a character very appealing and then bump 'em off. But it whiles away 40 minutes or so when I'm bored. Our eldest is a huge fan of the show, however, while the younger can take it or leave it. FWIW I think Grimm is the best show - although even that's starting to show cracks, so convoluted has the story now become.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: May 20, 2016, 08:46:20 am »
I was a bit sceptical about it before I started watching, as 'swords & sorcery' has never been my cup of tea. But I have to say that it is gripping stuff and I am really enjoying it.  $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: May 27, 2016, 10:52:37 am »
I genuinely think it is the best television series ever produced and the scale of it is just EPIC.
I'm half way through Season 6 at the moment and can promise DaveR he hasn't seen anything yet, scenes like the Red Wedding leave you absolutely speechless and are so pivotal you wonder where the story can go next but it always finds a way and just gets better and better!
As I said previously, "You know nothing Fester!"  (DaveR will get this reference in Season 3!)
Saw the Red Wedding last night, certainly didn't see THAT coming!! Excellent stuff!

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #149 on: May 27, 2016, 12:49:23 pm »
Saw the Red Wedding last night, certainly didn't see THAT coming!! Excellent stuff!

There are some good YouTube clips of viewer's reactions to the Red Wedding, quite funny.
After it became obvious there were going to be many twists and turns people started filming themselves for viewer reaction videos and some are quite good. Last week's episode The Door was another biggie so make sure if you watch any that you've actually seen the episode first as they're full of spoilers!
Valar Morghulis