Author Topic: Mobile Phones  (Read 25991 times)

Offline Mikethewatch

Re: Mobile Phones
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2014, 06:09:48 pm »
Can't understand anyone giving that idiot the time of day !

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2014, 06:16:50 pm »
Don't you like a Magic show, Mike?  WWW
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2014, 09:31:52 pm »
The 'Contacts' stored on my iphone are vitally important to me in my job, and are growing in number everyday.

Therefore I am paranoid in case I should lose the phone.

Please could someone explain to me (step by step) how I might save or back up these contacts externally.
Thanks in advance.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2014, 11:32:34 pm »
The 'Contacts' stored on my iphone are vitally important to me in my job, and are growing in number everyday.

Therefore I am paranoid in case I should lose the phone.

Please could someone explain to me (step by step) how I might save or back up these contacts externally.
Thanks in advance.

If you back up your phone to iCloud (you get 5gig free) it stores everything from the phone (contacts, apps, etc...) so if you lost it you just get another handset, sign into your iTunes account and you download the backup which will clone your original phone. It's the same process you go through when you upgrade to a newer iPhone.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2014, 08:19:48 am »
That's right, and if you're using an iPhone, F, you can also sync it with the iMac / tablet / Laptop you have by connecting it through the charging lead and using iTunes to perform a back up. On Apple stuff this ability to keep everything in sync is really useful.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2014, 09:07:41 pm »
Thanks Ian and SDQ,  I thought iCloud might be the answer.
But.... I don't actually know HOW to use iCloud!   So, where do I start?
Fester...

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2014, 09:32:50 pm »
Thanks Ian and SDQ,  I thought iCloud might be the answer.
But.... I don't actually know HOW to use iCloud!   So, where do I start?

Go to :-
Settings  -  iCloud  -  Backup  -  Back Up Now

You may need to turn on iCloud Backup before the last step & you must be connected to Wi-Fi to perform the backup. If you've never done it before it may be a good idea to make sure the phone is on charge in case it takes a long time. Subsequent backups will be quicker as you'll only be backing up anything new since the last one.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2014, 09:38:56 pm »
Cracking instructions SDQ,  I will get right on it..... then return to Scrabble in due course!  $good$ $good$
Fester...

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2014, 09:52:45 pm »
Cracking instructions SDQ,  I will get right on it..... then return to Scrabble in due course!  $good$ $good$

Done.... and it took 3 minutes,  I presume that I will have to back up regularly?  No sign of an auto back up feature.
Fester...

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2014, 11:28:55 pm »

Done.... and it took 3 minutes,  I presume that I will have to back up regularly?  No sign of an auto back up feature.

It should auto back up regularly if you charge your phone at home with the Wi-Fi on. If not you get a message telling you the phone hasn't been backed up since...
I get that a lot because I'm a naughty boy and usually charge mine at work!  $smack$
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2015, 10:46:49 am »
Customers using the Three Network in Llandudno now have the delights of 4G.  $good$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2015, 12:32:27 pm »
Indeed... 4G in town today,  but, 3G half a mile out to sea on the Pier!
Fester...

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2021, 02:16:39 pm »
The UK's Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) has confirmed it is investigating Apple and Google over their dominant position in the mobile phone market.

It is "taking a closer look" at the "effective duopoly" the two firms have.

That includes the operating systems Android and iOS, both app stores, and Safari and Chrome web browsers.

Officials are examining whether the pair are "stifling competition across a range of digital markets".

"The CMA is concerned this could lead to reduced innovation across the sector and consumers paying higher prices for devices and apps, or for other goods and services due to higher advertising prices," the authority said.

cont  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57484720

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Mobile Phones/BT changes
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2021, 09:19:33 am »
Major phone upgrade could affect thousands of North Wales households
It will mean landline calls won't be able to be made during a power cut and will impact services such as medical alarms and telephone boxes

Elderly people could be left with no communication during power cuts after a major phone upgrade by BT which will lead to all calls being made over the internet by 2025.

Millions of customers will be pushed online for the first time or forced to rely on a mobile phone instead.

The upgrade also removes the ability to make landline calls during a power cut which the National Grid has warned could happen more often as a result of increased demand.

It will also impact other services that rely on the existing telephone network such as medical alarm systems, phones in lifts, payment terminals and red telephone boxes.

But experts have raised concerns that millions of older and vulnerable households who are not online, do not have a mobile phone or live in a rural area with poor connectivity are at risk of being left behind.

Around two million homes across Britain do not have access to the internet while another half a million households do not own a mobile phone.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/major-phone-upgrade-could-affect-21912165

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2021, 01:06:52 pm »
Fears for millions of people over BT proposals to axe traditional home landlines
Pensioners groups have warned that the plan could leave millions of people vulnerable

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/fears-millions-people-over-bt-22265546