Author Topic: Mobile Phones  (Read 25994 times)

brumbob

Re: Mobile Phones
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 11:03:39 am »
Ugly mobile phone masts which blight the landscape could soon disappear forever,  replaced by tiny cubes which you can hold in your hand.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1356449/How-clever-cubes-tiny-hold-hand-spell-end-ugly-mobile-phone-masts.html#ixzz1DprUdTUF

The 'lightRadio cube' is the size of a Rubik's cube - vastly smaller than the ironing-board-sized antennas  found on mobile phone masts.
These tiny devices could be attached to lampposts, buildings or telephone poles as single cubes or in clusters, connected to the mobile phone network with optical fibres.

Perhaps this will finally get rid of 'black spots' in the mobile network  :)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 11:10:02 am »
A always thought the biggest problem with phone masts was the need for height. This article seems to suggest that the masts might stay in place - only the ironing board antennas will be reduced in size.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 01:00:31 pm »
Can anyone recommend a handset that  can access the internet using my Pay as You Go Nokia Simcard,  My current handset is far too small for the touchscreen function to work effectively so would prefer one with a large screen not necessarily touchscreen, I have no idea of the differences between phones etc  :-[

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 12:18:41 am »
The Samsung Tocco is a good large screen touch phone. It will cost you about £60 at the most in Phones 4u.  To use the internet a touch phone is best to be honest.  Don't be a bloke about it though, read the manual  ;D
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 12:38:12 am »

sorry I should have said Vodaphone not Nokia!

Thanks for the advice, i will check it out on Saturday  my last phone was given to be by my daughter, no manual but it was quite good, then it broke and I got a cheapo one from Asda, but it's so small only a child could feasibly use the touch screen on it  :rage:

Not that good at reading manuals I have to admit  ???

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 12:47:09 am »
If I were you I would buy the tocco and go on o2 if you want to use the internet. o2 do a deal £20 a month, unlimited text, unlimited web use and 300 mins any network or landline call time plus you can keep yr number and phone other o2 users for nothing. Vodafone costs a fortune to use the net as do other networks they tend to charge by the day. Not a good idea on pay as you go. I was on vodafone for years but seriously you can't beat the pay as you go deals on o2. I changed my youngest over from voda tpo 02 at christmas saved me a small fortune Suepp.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 12:52:24 am »
I'll look into it thanks! I've got lots of credit at the moment and have got bonus credit too, so I will have to  use that up first,

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 08:36:06 am »
I pay £20 a month (sim card only) to the dreaded Vodafone and get 500mb Internet, unlimited texts and 600 inclusive minutes. Bought the phone (Nokia N8) on Ebay.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 09:58:44 pm »
Mrs Fester has been offered an upgrade for the mobile provided by her employer.
She has a choice of two, and both appear to be quite different devices.
We have had a quick mooch around on Google to compare, but there doesn't seem to be a strong consensus either way.

The choices are;
SAMSUNG  I 8 700
HTC  Wildfire.

One is an Android Phone (Don't ask me??) ... and the other is Windows based.

I was wondering if any techno-head Forum members had any strong preference either way?  Any recommendations?
Just so you know, the three most important things Mrs F needs to do with this device are,
1, Make business calls
2, Send / receive emails.
3, Regular summon up share price updates from the internet FOR ME!

So, camera quality and music etc are not such a big deal for her.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 10:02:22 pm »
They're both rubbish....if that helps any.  &shake&

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 10:08:33 pm »
That's no help whatsoever.... as they are the only options available.   So TRY AGAIN!  ;D
Fester...

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 10:36:36 pm »
Get an iphone! (I will get one when I get the chance!  ;D )
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 10:42:32 pm »
Once you've had an iPhone you'll never go back!
Fester, Google 'GSM Arena' and you should get reviews
on almost any handset on the market.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2012, 10:59:09 pm »
I give up.... it appears that no one is listening.  :'(

The choice is between those two phones, they are allocated by her employer.   Eeeny meeny miney!

Its like having a list to choose for the company cars I had in the past.... always Fords, Vauxhalls etc... and I wanted a Jaguar, but I couldn't have one could I?  Oh no....

Fester...

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 12:32:15 am »
Basically, both phones will meet your 3 demands so I
guess your only problem is Android vs Windows. There
is probably no definitive answer as everyone is different
so I don't think it matters, just get the one she likes the best.

As for the Android vs Windows question:

Choosing between these two great operating systems isn't an easy task, as we've discussed they're both great performers, with a myriad of virtues to keep you up to date, entertained and in control of your daily life. Where the divides do occur they're minor, leading us to happily endorse either of these great pieces of software.

The best way of deciding which platform is right for you, is to weigh up your personality and demands. If you're a techy person, who wants to milk more out of their smartphone, customise it and generally push it beyond its out of the box state, then Android is the one for you.

But if you're keen to pick up your new device and utilise it to its full potential with minimal fuss, you'd be best advised to look at Windows Phone 7. One thing's for sure though, whichever one you choose you're in for a fun time.
Valar Morghulis