Author Topic: Llandudno Fireworks display  (Read 27152 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno Fireworks display
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2013, 07:40:46 pm »
Always fighting the tourist trade,extravaganza,fireworks thank god the xmas lights are crap or they would be next to go lol.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2013, 07:54:19 pm »
Always fighting the tourist trade,extravaganza,fireworks thank god the xmas lights are crap or they would be next to go lol.

The cost of 30 minutes of pyrotechnics would fund a half reasonable set of Xmas lights for the Town Centre that would create a much longer season for the shopkeepers and hotels.   :D

They would also last much longer than half an hour.  Add the same amount year on year and Blackpool would soon have some serious competition.   L0L
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Minime

« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2013, 10:59:18 pm »
Wasnt overly impressed to be honest being a bit of a firework fiend.  Ive been to many displays around the country and obviously fireworks championships etc so I know im a bit spoilt.  It was umm dull.  No music and I know it was cold and a bit rainy but I didnt really rate them.
Eirias park on the other hand - now that was a show.   Very good indeed and still cold and rainy but so much better atmosphere and display.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2013, 12:23:25 am »
I am still not sure why we have them on the nearest Saturday rather than the 5th.  TC's complement of hoteliers seem to have persuaded them otherwise but what happens if the display is cancelled ?

Offline llewelyn

« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2013, 12:38:36 am »
Best display ever was in Dartmouth, very much like Conwy Quay but the naval college came up trumps incredible.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2013, 10:18:16 am »
Like a donation towards the Alice trail?  WWW

:-X
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2013, 10:25:37 am »
I don't think it's unreasonable for a town the size of Llandudno to have BOTH a decent fireworks display and a decent Christmas Lights display? Surely?

I was hoping to find some information about how much had been allocated towards Christmas Lights this year in the Agendas/Minutes section of their website but no-one has bothered to update it:
http://www.llandudno.gov.uk/council-agendas-minutes.html

Is it really that difficult to upload a few PDFs to the website? There are three members of staff employed by the Council, after all.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2013, 10:40:00 am »
I am still not sure why we have them on the nearest Saturday rather than the 5th.  TC's complement of hoteliers seem to have persuaded them otherwise but what happens if the display is cancelled ?

Apparently, the date was chosen in concert with the Town's hoteliers so that they could offer a week-end break with a fireworks display in their promotional literature.  So it was a bit of a kow-tow to the B & B Brigade and b****r everybody else.     >>>
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2013, 10:53:20 am »
I don't think it's unreasonable for a town the size of Llandudno to have BOTH a decent fireworks display and a decent Christmas Lights display? Surely?

I was hoping to find some information about how much had been allocated towards Christmas Lights this year in the Agendas/Minutes section of their website .......

Is it really that difficult to upload a few PDFs to the website? There are three members of staff employed by the Council, after all.

You are quite right, good displays do not have to cost the Earth it just calls for plenty of forward planning, maybe over a few years, and some selective buying.  All too often Councils and the like go out to tender and just get ripped off.  A good contract negotiator is required to ensure the best is bought for the cash available.  It is amazing what some sales people can get, and how the buyer is ripped off, with just the odd lunch!

The web site has never been much good.  Too much rubbish and not enough information on all that matters to the electorate.  I would have thought that there could be a Minutes page at least!   Many other local councils throughout the country leave Llandudno standing.

Get rid of the "old brigade" and put some new bright youngsters in their place.  :D 

Not so long ago the Council only had two full time staff, and that was before it was fully computerised!  And don't forget the Mayor's Sergeant...!   _))*
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2013, 11:52:49 am »

Apparently, the date was chosen in concert with the Town's hoteliers so that they could offer a week-end break with a fireworks display in their promotional literature.  So it was a bit of a kow-tow to the B & B Brigade and b****r everybody else.     >>>

Now this all depends on who's little group you are in ! Some of us never get a sniff ! :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2013, 12:10:27 pm »
A bit of frontage to th Prom helps, I believe!  $drink$
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2014, 09:04:14 am »
From the look of the weather I suspect it's unlikely they'll be able to go ahead with the fireworks tonight. Gusts estimated at 40 - 50mph and driving rain.  Fall-back date is November 5th...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2014, 10:17:23 am »
From the look of the weather I suspect it's unlikely they'll be able to go ahead with the fireworks tonight. Gusts estimated at 40 - 50mph and driving rain.  Fall-back date is November 5th...
Town Council says, as of now, it is still going ahead.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2014, 10:33:29 am »
They are indeed, and so we can all make plans to attend, in the safe knowledge that the TC will have carefully and diligently researched the potential weather issues exhaustively.  After all, if there's one thing at which they excel it's thinking ahead.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2014, 12:36:20 pm »
The proverbial Damp squib event!

$uk
Cicero