Author Topic: Photography  (Read 268546 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Photography
« Reply #780 on: February 16, 2014, 07:37:15 pm »
Thanks for the advice but a bit beyond me I fear. I'll just continue snapping away. It's easy to delete the duds these days.
I took this close up and that looked okay with the blurred background I thought.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #781 on: April 03, 2014, 06:07:28 am »
Oops.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #782 on: April 03, 2014, 07:39:41 am »
Is there an easy to understand setting which I could use to get the foreground, middle and background in focus at the same time?
Here is an example of what happens on the automatic setting.
The closest and the furthest snowdrops are blurred and the central ones are in focus.

Hollins:  the quick 'n' dirty answer is to shoot subjects like that in extremely strong sunlight. The more light there is the greater your depth of field. But Yorkie's essentially correct: even your trusty automatic cameras all have settings for either sports (which set fast shutter speeds) or portrait (which set very tight shutter apertures) so you get the most in focus. Not true manual, in the purest sense of the word, but as close as you will need.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #783 on: April 03, 2014, 09:49:21 am »
Hollins' problem is with the Auto Focus; by taking a close up shot like that of the snowdrops, the camera will always assume that you only want the object nearest the camera in focus and its generally considered more aesthetically pleasing to leave the rest of the shot slightly out of focus ('bokeh' is the term given to the out of focus area). A cheat to get the whole shot in focus is to shoot the photo from further away to get the whole shot in focus and just crop put the unwanted bit in an editing program.

As regards Auto settings; for outdoor, daytime photography, the camera software is far better at selecting the correct settings, there's no need to select it manually. In addition, if you have a camera that can shoot in RAW format, then you can pretty much guarantee an image that can be edited successfully to produce a good end result. Pretty much all my recent photos were shot on the little Sony RX100 camera in the RAW format, using Auto settings, and then edited in Lightroom:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/davellandudno/

Offline hollins

« Reply #784 on: April 03, 2014, 10:03:54 am »
Thanks for the advice. I have adopted the cheat method of taking from further away and then cropping it!

That last photo of Gwrych castle on your blog DaveR looks unreal. How did you achieve that effect?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #785 on: April 03, 2014, 10:18:33 am »
I do believe that Llandrillo College does Photography Classes for quite reasonable fees.   :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #786 on: April 03, 2014, 10:20:41 am »
I wanted to create a slightly surreal effect with the Gwrych Castle photo, so used various filters etc in Lightroom. The photo was taken from the top of the largest tower in Gwrych.

Gwrych Castle Abergele by [davidrobertsphotography], on Flickr

I must update that blog with some new photos.  :roll:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #787 on: April 27, 2014, 06:29:02 pm »
A recent visit to Bodnant; only had the iPhone but got some ok photos:

Offline hollins

« Reply #788 on: April 27, 2014, 07:14:22 pm »
Good to see you back posting photos DaveR. We haven't been to Bodnant yet this spring but must go, looking fab!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #789 on: April 27, 2014, 07:55:06 pm »
Good to see you back posting photos DaveR. We haven't been to Bodnant yet this spring but must go, looking fab!
The rhododendrons are at their finest at the moment, but the Laburnum Arch looks as though it has a few weeks to go before flowering.

Offline hollins

« Reply #790 on: May 20, 2014, 05:10:35 pm »
So pleased you haven't given up taking photos DaveR. I've just found the Prague ones on Flickr.  Wonderful, I bet you didn't know where to point your camera next.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #791 on: May 20, 2014, 06:36:59 pm »
So pleased you haven't given up taking photos DaveR. I've just found the Prague ones on Flickr.  Wonderful, I bet you didn't know where to point your camera next.
Thank you, we actually ended up having what we called 'grandeur fatigue' after seeing so many highly decorated buildings.  :laugh: An amazing place, I'd recommend a visit there to anyone.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davellandudno/sets/72157644792258893/

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #792 on: May 29, 2014, 07:29:18 pm »
Just a quick plug for my relaunched Photography website at www.davidroberts-photography.co.uk  $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #793 on: June 06, 2014, 12:07:17 pm »
I have treated myself to a canvas print from DaveR's new website.
A wonderful sunrise view of Llandudno Pier.
Thanks DaveR.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #794 on: June 06, 2014, 12:43:45 pm »
Looks great!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas