Author Topic: Photography  (Read 269670 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Photography
« Reply #675 on: August 18, 2013, 08:30:36 pm »
Thanks for the explanation, feel a bit better now.

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #676 on: August 19, 2013, 06:22:22 pm »
Hollins,   I'm sorry the youtube clip concerned you. That was not my intention and thankfully the other contributor seems to have reassured you .

Here is a panorama above Llanberis taken today.

Offline hollins

« Reply #677 on: August 19, 2013, 06:33:14 pm »
Rhuddlan, no problem, slept well!
Don't let it put you off posting. It is great to see new contributors bringing new life to the forum and your photos are great.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #678 on: August 20, 2013, 08:19:03 pm »
Slightly off topic, but thought you would like to know that Cartrefi Conwy have purchased one of my images of Gwrych Castle to use on glass as an artwork at their new Abergele headquarters.  $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #679 on: August 20, 2013, 08:23:45 pm »
Well done DaveR. Where in Abergele will it be?
Will the photo be printed on glass?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #680 on: August 20, 2013, 08:42:06 pm »
Well done DaveR. Where in Abergele will it be?
Will the photo be printed on glass?
The new HQ is on the North Wales Business Park, across the road from where the Doctors Surgery is. I believe the image will be printed on glass, the Project Manager has promised to email some images on it in situ, I'll put them on here when I receive them.

Offline hollins

« Reply #681 on: August 20, 2013, 08:50:17 pm »
Great. I didn't know they could do that. There is already a nice looking piece of stained glass in the surgery building. I wonder if it will give that sort of effect? It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #682 on: August 20, 2013, 08:53:49 pm »
Thanks for the explanation, feel a bit better now.

For years I have had a fascination for old buildings, graveyards and other "spooky" places, the Asylum has a very interesting history- I have a book on the subject and a friend of mine went to one of those evenings there where people wait to see if anything paranormal occurs. ( It didn't)
If you look beyond the mess and damage it was once a wonderful building. Imagine building something that size in 1848 without the use of modern machinery.
http://www.forlornbritain.co.uk/denbigh.php
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #683 on: August 20, 2013, 09:27:30 pm »
Thank you for that link. I have read it, found it interesting and the last paragraph is so sad.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #684 on: August 21, 2013, 12:42:31 am »
To be fair, in later years Denbigh hospital was a place of good practice and compassion towards the patients with a great community atmosphere that is still to be seen in Denbigh today. There must be many staff working all over the country to this day who did their training at the hospital

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #685 on: August 21, 2013, 08:11:39 am »
That's very true, I've heard nothing but good things about the treatment Denbigh provided.  $good$

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #686 on: August 21, 2013, 10:07:49 am »
True--  a friend of the friend who went to the paranormal evening worked there and he has nothing but praise for the place.

Whilst searching through some family history I found that my Grandfather's first wife was committed to a similar place when she had post natal depression and in fact died there of colitis. So sad when nowadays these things are understood and treated.
I visited the same hospital with a group of people who had presented a Panto and had been asked to present it there for the patients. The patients enjoyed the show, were appreciative and chatty with us. What impressed me was the way these poor souls were treated by the staff, it was like a big happy family. Afterwards we were taken to look at the facilities available to the patients. They had a pub, a shop, a barbers and a farm. In fact it was like a village. It certainly helped us understand that these people seem happier in a group environment.

Time passes and it has now been demolished and converted to student accommodation. :(
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #687 on: August 21, 2013, 06:50:27 pm »
I knew it well when I was a Mental Welfare Officer in Rhyl and Colwyn Bay the 1970s. I have a lovely book detailing the history of Denbigh Psychiatric Hospital. Its out of reach at present but I'll post the data another day.

By the way it looks like Hollins was lurking at the other end to where I am. Wide open spaces which are also very long! (wrong topic but you know what I mean) ;D

Beautiful photographs all over this forum. I ache with hiraeth.  $walesflag$   
Micox

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #688 on: August 24, 2013, 09:20:28 pm »
Llanddwyn Island:

Llanddwyn Island by [davidrobertsphotography], on Flickr

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #689 on: September 01, 2013, 06:24:49 pm »