Author Topic: Photography  (Read 265359 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Photography
« Reply #1005 on: December 11, 2017, 04:13:13 pm »
Something different.  $good$

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1006 on: August 23, 2018, 02:51:32 pm »
Now this is a selfie.........

Cpl Tim Laurence captured a selfie during a routine training sortie over the coast of Anglesey       ref DP

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1007 on: August 25, 2018, 01:23:54 pm »
Thanks for sharing Steve what a fantastic shot  ;D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1008 on: September 06, 2018, 09:13:16 am »
Now this is a selfie.........

Cpl Tim Laurence captured a selfie during a routine training sortie over the coast of Anglesey       ref DP
Shouldn't he be concentrating on flying the plane?!

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1009 on: September 06, 2018, 03:04:18 pm »

Shouldn't he be concentrating on flying the plane?!

Cpl's (Corporals) don't fly planes in the RAF Dave, they sit in the second seat and act as talking ballast.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1010 on: October 06, 2018, 10:29:40 am »
More art than photography......

A stencil spray painting by elusive artist Banksy shredded itself after it was sold for more than £1m.
Girl With Balloon, one of Banksy's most widely recognised works, was auctioned by Sotheby's in London.
The framed piece shows a girl reaching towards a heart-shaped balloon and was the final work sold at the auction.

However, in a twist to be expected from street art's most subversive character, the canvas suddenly passed through a shredder installed in the frame.
Posting a picture of the moment on Instagram, Banksy wrote: "Going, going, gone..."

The 2006 piece was shown dangling in pieces from the bottom of the frame, after it sold for £1.042m on Friday night.
"It appears we just got Banksy-ed," said Alex Branczik, Sotheby's senior director and head of contemporary art in Europe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45770028

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1011 on: October 18, 2018, 12:27:05 pm »
Follow up on the Banksy story.......Only the art world could come up with this..............

"A Sotheby's spokesman said: "The new narrative is that Banksy did not destroy a work on its premises, he created one, adding value not detracting."

"Judging by the title that Banksy has given the work, the intention was for the artwork to be a shredded canvas on the floor, beneath an empty frame.
So you could argue that the installation piece of an empty frame on a wall, with the shredded canvas beneath it, would actually be worth more, than what could be considered an 'incomplete' artwork, stuck in the frame."

The partial shredding of a Banksy artwork didn't go entirely to plan, the artist has confirmed.
Love is in the Bin self-shredded in its frame immediately after selling for £860,000 at Sotheby's last week.
Now, Banksy has uploaded a video suggesting the entire canvas was supposed to shred, and not just two thirds of it.
A clip of a canvas shredding in full is seen in the video with the caption: "In rehearsals, it worked every time."

Video   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45900314

Offline DVT

« Reply #1012 on: October 18, 2018, 12:38:07 pm »
Last night I spent time shredding a load of old bank statements and suchlike ... the shredded pieces are now in a bin, but can easily be emptied out to be a pile of shredded paper on the floor..

Anyone any idea how much that would be worth?

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #1013 on: October 18, 2018, 07:11:18 pm »
Not a lot but you may have at least shredded properly.  I’d don’t know about your shredder but ours cuts into little bits rather than long strips.

Not that convinced by Banksy btw. But that’s probably part of a wider lack of understanding of art..

Is he really better than other (not that I could name one) graffiti artists? Has he just managed to milk “media fame”?

Any on a wider issue, why does value depend so much on who painted it rather than whether it looks good to you?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1014 on: October 19, 2018, 08:31:17 am »
From those comments and questions I'd say you know quite a bit about the Art world, squigglev2.   >:( >:( >:(
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1015 on: February 27, 2019, 09:38:24 am »
Bought this yesterday, it's a stereo camera from before 1910, been after one for years! Got it in the Rogers Jones auction in Colwyn Bay.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1016 on: February 27, 2019, 10:24:14 am »
Well done ME.   :)        Well done ME.      ;)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1017 on: October 21, 2019, 05:09:40 pm »
The Royal Meteorological Society's 2019 Weather Photographer of the Year has been awarded to Gareth Mon Jones for his image 'Above My Expectations which shows a blanket of cloud draped across Y Lliwedd, one of the flanks of Snowdon'. (Image: Gareth Mon Jones)

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #1018 on: November 05, 2019, 11:04:12 am »
My desk-top background

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1019 on: September 19, 2020, 11:21:27 am »
Week in pictures: 12 - 18 September 2020

A selection of powerful news photographs taken around the world this week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-54203886