Members' Lounge > Politics & Current Affairs

University Tuition Fees

(1/2) > >>

Fester:
Never in my life before have I been a political animal,  but just of late things have seen very wrong to me, and I feel compelled to post about it on here... mainly cos no one else would listen to me.

This latest move about allowing Uni's to charge £9000 per year is astonishing.  Effectively trebling the cost of higher education to the student.

When I was at school, I stayed on until I completed my A-levels at 18,  and it was always the case that the 3 or 4 cleverest in each school went on to University, regardless of whether they or there parents had money.  What was wrong with that?

Now, I foresee only the very richest families sending kids to Uni in Britain ... and Uni's being full of the offspring of wealthy Chinese, Asian or Arab parents.

Does anyone agree, disagree? ... or even care?

Ian:
It's a seriously thorny issue, fees. In the US, fees are much higher, but the numbers of bursaries are, too. The big problem today has been brought about by the plethora new 'universities', many of which bear little resemblance to what we saw as universities when we went.

The  growth of so-called 'Micky Mouse' degrees hasn't helped, either. 

TheMedz:
I too am not a political type of person but from what I've read about it I think it may well lead to a two tier University system, not too unlike to when there were universities and there were polytechnics. The £9K per year is a cap and not a fee that all universities have to charge their students. The big ones  ie Oxbridge , the redbrick universities and the Russell Group will probably go for the full amounts whereas the smaller ones may go for lesser fees to attract greater numbers. The result is that the smaller colleges become more attractive to all students, irrespective of academic ability while the high fee charging universities only get used by those that can afford it. Over time this will probably see a decline in the quality of students graduating from the first group and an increasing quality from the second group.

Assuming that students will still go to University the other factor that needs to be taken into consideration is paying back the loans they owe. If for instance a graduate got a job paying less than £21K pay back the loan limit for a couple of years to gain some experience and then emigrated and not return for an extended period then they would not be asked to pay back the loan. Hence there will probably be a lot of other countries outside of the EU gaining from the money spent in this one.

The only up sides I can see to the increase in fees is that the first group and eventually the second group (because they will begin to get more of the brilliant students)will  still have the investment to be able to carry out the research projects that are finding the cures and solutions to a lot of the worlds problems. It may also lead to reduction in a lot of courses that, in my view, should never have been run in the first place. I saw on TV the other day that a student, when asked what he was studying, said was taking a three year degree in "Drumming" . I've nothing against drumming but a three year course in it sounds slightly extreme.  

Ian:

--- Quote ---I think it may well lead to a two tier University system, not too unlike to when there were universities and there were polytechnics.
--- End quote ---

I think it already has - and for some years.

DaveR:
Far too many people go to University and there just isn't the jobs market to justify it for all of them afterwards. I know quite a few graduates who now work in supermarkets etc.

As I understand it, anyone can still go to Uni but will have to take out a Student Loan to do so, which will only need to be repaid if they earn over £21,000 a year. If they are unfortunate enough not to earn over that amount in, say, 10 years, then the whole loan is written off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version