Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1228420 times)

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #4860 on: March 18, 2015, 09:45:44 pm »
Waiting in a lay-by ready to catch speeding drivers, a police officer sees a car puttering along the A22 at well under the 30 mile per hour limit.

Says he to himself: "This driver is just as dangerous as a speeder!" So he turns on his siren and flashing lights and pulls the driver over.

Approaching the car, he notices that there are five old ladies, two in the front and three in the back...wide eyed and white as ghosts.

The driver, obviously confused, says to him "Officer, I don't understand, I was doing exactly the speed limit! What seems to be the problem?"

"Madam," the policeman replies, "you weren't speeding, but you should know that driving slower than the speed limit can also be a danger to other drivers."

"Slower than the speed limit? No sir, I was doing the speed limit exactly, twenty-two miles an hour!" ......the old woman says, a bit proudly.

The policeman, trying to contain a chuckle, explains to her that A22 is the road number, not the speed limit.

A bit embarrassed, the woman grins and thanks the policeman for pointing out her error.

"But before I let you go, madam, I have to ask, is everyone in this car OK? These women seem awfully shaken, and they haven't made a sound this whole time," the officer asks.

"Oh, they'll be all right in a minute, officer. We've just come off the A120.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #4861 on: March 19, 2015, 08:58:37 am »
Where was I yesterday and who's were these horses.?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #4862 on: March 19, 2015, 09:26:08 am »
Is it the Horses of Helios statue at Piccadilly Circus in London?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #4863 on: March 19, 2015, 09:43:10 am »
Golly ...........that didn't last long ! I thought that I might throw people off the scent by only including two of the horses ! Well done Hollins.
We had a very long 'day trip' yesterday organised by my OH, as a surprise, to celebrate out golden wedding next week. We caught the 7.40 am train and went to see Les Miserables at the Queen's Theatre ( for the 10th time) then arrived home at 10.30 pm. We did this for our Silver Wedding, so he had re-created the trip. Enough to say that we are both shattered this morning !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #4864 on: March 19, 2015, 09:48:22 am »
Wow, Nemesis. Congratulations for next week!
Sorry to spoil the quiz quickly but it is ages since I have got one right.
A lovely day for catching up today anyway and you will always have the nice memories of a great day out.

Offline hollins

« Reply #4865 on: March 19, 2015, 03:36:50 pm »
Where in North Wales will you find this?

Offline hollins

« Reply #4866 on: March 20, 2015, 09:56:29 am »
This is a fairly recently installed relief sculpture which has been put in this position to entice you to go and visit something further up the hill.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4867 on: March 20, 2015, 10:44:31 am »
A wild guess but with all the flowers depicted on the sculpture is it in Bodnant Gardens?

Offline hollins

« Reply #4868 on: March 20, 2015, 11:21:35 am »
Good guess Hugo but it isn't at Bodnant. There are nine types of flowers depicted in it and they can give a clue to the story behind it.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4869 on: March 20, 2015, 04:36:13 pm »
Is this the story behind the sculpture in Denbigh?

Finally sculptor, Joss Smith, from London, has produced an eye catching sculpture placed at the turn in the lane at Temple Bar Gardens which can be seen from the High Street. He has also produced two smaller sculptures that ‘fly’ out of the wall part way up the lane. Joss’ designs are based on the Welsh mythological Mabinogion’s character, Blodeuwedd and the nine flowers of power. One of the flowers is a broom flower

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4870 on: March 20, 2015, 04:44:02 pm »
Photo
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline hollins

« Reply #4871 on: March 20, 2015, 04:55:47 pm »
Yes, well done.
Here is a link to why they commissioned it in that position.

http://www.celfwaith.co.uk/projects/denbigh-town-castle-link-scheme-broomhill-lane-part-2

I must say that it has partly worked in my case because as I was walking along the main street yesterday I first of all noticed the castle signpost and then looked up the alley to see the sculpture at the end of it. By the time I was there I thought I would walk up to the castle as it was such a nice day.
Mind you, how disappointing that someone had placed a pile of black bin bags next to it. I also thought it strange that there was only a plaque there to say it had been financed by the EU and not anything about the sculpture itself or the artist.
I had to find this out by myself on google and even that was not easy which is why I think you have done really well to find the answer to this one Hugo.

Offline hollins

« Reply #4872 on: March 24, 2015, 07:28:41 pm »
Done better with the view this time but where am I?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4873 on: March 24, 2015, 09:19:39 pm »
Pure guess, Manchester?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

« Reply #4874 on: March 24, 2015, 09:21:39 pm »
Good guess ME, correct!