Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1244936 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #225 on: December 02, 2010, 04:07:54 pm »
Where will you find this and an extra point if you can guess the estimated weight of the capstone.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #226 on: December 02, 2010, 04:10:31 pm »
 ))* $booboo$

No points for guessing where the cromlech is but just one for guessing the weight.   :-[

Yorkie

« Reply #227 on: December 02, 2010, 04:36:55 pm »
Is there any information regarding dimensions, or do we have to guess them also in order to calculate the weight?

I'll try 8,500 kilos   
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 04:40:00 pm by Yorkie »

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #228 on: December 02, 2010, 05:25:53 pm »
By the way Yorkie... as you know you were spot on with the Karaweik Hall (or the Karaweik Palace as it is known)

I thought it would be hard to track down because it is in the closed and secretive country of Burma (Myanmar)
Just what wonders hide behind closed borders, eh!
It is modelled on the Royal Barge of the former King of Burma.

Well done Yorkie.   &well& &well& &well&
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Yorkie

« Reply #229 on: December 02, 2010, 05:37:24 pm »
Must confess I had to  get my magnifying glass out and my deerstalker on for that one.     :votive:

Offline Hugo

« Reply #230 on: December 02, 2010, 06:23:19 pm »
Yorkie, I'm still working in pounds and ounces so you've made me get my calculator out!      :o
Anyway, you're out, way out because it's a lot bigger.
Don't know how these ancients did it but they must have been strong in those days.  Try guessing to the nearest ton so I won't have to get the calculator out again,   ;)

By the way anyone who guesses the wrong location gets a minus point!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #231 on: December 02, 2010, 06:34:41 pm »
Its 25 Tons mate... not an ounce more.   $happy$
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Yorkie

« Reply #232 on: December 02, 2010, 06:42:44 pm »
Located close to Moelfre on Anglesey, Din Lligwy Cromlech (burial chamber) boasts an 18 by 15 foot capstone weighing in at 25 tons, and standing on eight short stones. The Cromlech dates from about 5000BC. When it was excavated in 1908, the site gave up its dead. Bones of men, women, and children were found.

So 25 is about right but due to erosion since 5000 BC it is now only 24 tons which is my guess!     :laugh:

Offline Hugo

« Reply #233 on: December 02, 2010, 06:52:00 pm »
I'll accept Fester's answer at 25 tons unless you want to lift it up and reweigh it Yorkie.    ;D

Yorkie

« Reply #234 on: December 02, 2010, 07:00:27 pm »
Very fair decision Hugo.

Where will you find this monument and what is it about?  Europe.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 07:18:11 pm by Yorkie »

Offline Hugo

« Reply #235 on: December 02, 2010, 10:07:51 pm »
That's the Vasco Da Gama statue in Lisbon.

Yorkie

« Reply #236 on: December 03, 2010, 07:44:21 am »
Not quite correct Hugo, it is Discoveries Monument (Padrão dos Descobrimentos), built on the north bank of the Tagus River, Lisbon in 1960 to commemorate the 500th anniversary of the death of Prince Henry the Navigator.

Detail of the monument showing the mathematician and cosmographer Pedro Nunes holding an armillary sphere (center). To his left, Jácome de Maiorca (cosmographer and chart maker) and Pedro Escobar (navigator); to his right, Pêro de Alenquer (navigator), Gil Eanes (navigator) and João Gonçalves Zarco (navigator).

It represents a three-sailed ship ready to depart, with sculptures of important historical figures such as King Manuel I carrying an armillary sphere, poet Camões holding verses from The Lusiads, Vasco da Gama, Magellan, Cabral, and several other notable Portuguese explorers, crusaders, monks, cartographers, and cosmographers, following Prince Henry the Navigator at the prow holding a small vessel. The only female is queen Felipa of Lancaster, mother of Henry the navigator, the brain of the discoveries.

Inside is an exhibition space with temporary exhibits, an interesting film about the city of Lisbon, and an elevator that takes visitors to the top for some bird's-eye views of Belem and its monuments.

The pavement in front of the monument is decorated with a mosaic that was offered by the South African government in 1960, representing a compass with the map of the world charting the routes taken by the Portuguese explorers.

Sorry only half a point for that!   :D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #237 on: December 03, 2010, 03:32:08 pm »
Thanks Yorkie that was very generous of you.  I recognised the Lisbon Bridge in the background and remember the monument from photos when I went to Portugal.

Yorkie

« Reply #238 on: December 03, 2010, 03:46:42 pm »
I do try to be fair!      ;D

I hope you liked Lisbon -- I know that we do and very handy for the Grand Prix circuit too!     :laugh:

Offline Hugo

« Reply #239 on: December 03, 2010, 04:57:05 pm »
It was Carvoeiro on the Algarve where we actually went to.   A beautiful little fishing village and we had a great holiday there.
I read up so much on Portugal prior to going and that's the reason I knew about Lisbon etc.   I'd like to think we can go back again one day.   :)