Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1243303 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #4605 on: November 10, 2014, 06:50:50 pm »
First one for a long time, in my experience anyway!  The site generally seems very stable.    $thanx$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #4606 on: November 13, 2014, 06:09:46 pm »
Where is this building and what was it's original use and also what is it used for now?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4607 on: November 13, 2014, 06:33:50 pm »
Sand, grit and salt store.  One in Llandudno junction.  Now used by Fire Sevice.  There, of course, may be similar silos all over the country.
 :D

Essentially for Winter use.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline hollins

« Reply #4608 on: November 13, 2014, 06:35:28 pm »
No, sorry. nothing like that.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #4609 on: November 13, 2014, 06:49:55 pm »
Sheffield ...Cutlery factory ...old gas works....or
"This circular cutlery factory was purpose designed by Sir Michael Hopkins for David Mellor in 1990 and has become one of the iconic works of modern British architecture.
The David Mellor site was formerly the Hathersage village gasworks. The factory was built on the foundations of the old gas cylinder, hence the circular form. Built in local gritstone with spectacular lead roof, this highly functional building is set discreetly in a rural area of outstanding natural beauty"

Sorry I was very lucky with the building description..very interesting though I had not heard of them before.

http://www.davidmellordesign.com/dmCutlery.php

Offline hollins

« Reply #4610 on: November 13, 2014, 06:53:40 pm »
Well done SteveH. That was quick!

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4611 on: November 14, 2014, 10:32:29 pm »
Where did I pass this white/cream washed church in North Wales today?        $walesflag$

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4612 on: November 15, 2014, 01:30:18 pm »
  As there have been no guesses at this question so far it seems that a couple of clues might help.

1) It stands only a very short distance from an very important current Welsh road and actually stands on an important Welsh road from the past........
2) It has a lychgate which was demolished in a road accident recently and has since been rebuilt.
3) It is a couple of miles from a river crossing which could be Italian and about the same distance from a geographical feature which could be Eastern European...........
4) It was moved to its present position from a previous location many years ago.

NB :- On Google Streetview it is partially obscured by trees and also it has been colourwashed since the camera van went past.
                                                                                            $walesflag$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #4613 on: November 15, 2014, 04:07:14 pm »
Abergele parish church?

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4614 on: November 15, 2014, 04:21:44 pm »
                Not Abergele Steve, but it is in Sir Conwy.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4615 on: November 15, 2014, 05:33:05 pm »
SAINT GWYDDELAN’S CHURCH, DOLWYDDELAN

It's only a wild guess as I've never seen the Church.
A470 plus the Roman Road Sarn Helen and the Roman Bridge isn't too far away.
Can't link the Eoropean feature so I'm not too hopeful

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4616 on: November 15, 2014, 06:26:01 pm »
  As there have been no guesses at this question so far it seems that a couple of clues might help.

1) It stands only a very short distance from an very important current Welsh road and actually stands on an important Welsh road from the past........
2) It has a lychgate which was demolished in a road accident recently and has since been rebuilt.
3) It is a couple of miles from a river crossing which could be Italian and about the same distance from a geographical feature which could be Eastern European...........
4) It was moved to its present position from a previous site,
                                                                                            $walesflag$
   Well done Hugo, absolutely spot on! You got the first clue  right; Clue 2) a bin wagon demolished the lychgate when reversing in 2006; Clue 3) the river crossing with Italian connections is Roman Bridge and the local geographical connection with Eastern Europe is the Crimea Pass; Clue 4) Meredudd  Wynne, (who lived in a nearby settlement in Cwm Penamnen called Tai Penamnen, which has been recently excavated) and was an ancestor of the Wynns of Gwydyr Castle of Llanrwst moved the church from a hill in the vicinity, (Bryn-y-Bedd) when he lived in Cwm Penamnen  in the 15th century and he repositioned the church so he could sit in his pew and see the lookouts on the nearby highpoint Carreg Alltwen to warn him of attacks by marauding brigands. The church was originally named after a Celtic/Irish Saint/Missionary (St,Gwyddelen, "the litle Irishman").
           We had a walk round Cwm Penamnen yesterday and I'll post the details tomorrow.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4617 on: November 15, 2014, 06:39:07 pm »
Good question Gwynant and I'll look forward to reading about your walk tomorrow.   $good$

I have actually done a walk up there and along the Roman Road but that was many years ago but I can't remember the Church at all

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4618 on: November 18, 2014, 04:43:26 pm »
This is where the naughty people would go years ago, but where is it in N Wales?         $walesflag$

Hope it's not too easy Yorkie!       $smack$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #4619 on: November 18, 2014, 04:49:22 pm »
This is where the naughty people would go years ago, but where is it in N Wales?       
Hope it's not too easy Yorkie!       
Give us a chance Hugo....Photo would help.... $good$