Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1228429 times)

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #4590 on: November 09, 2014, 04:54:32 pm »
  Gallows Point is a bit too far on the route Hugo. It's not on an industrial estate but the building requires an extractor for the business. There a several similar businesses in the area, but this is the only one of it's type. It all depends on your taste............

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #4591 on: November 09, 2014, 05:04:56 pm »
I take it that I'm looking for a restaurant in Menai Bridge but I've been to most of them and can't recognise this one.      ???

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4592 on: November 09, 2014, 05:26:19 pm »
    Correct Hugo, you are looking for a restaurant in Menai Bridge and it's got a large street frontage. I've just checked online and in fact there are two of these businesses in the town. Part of the answer is in the last clue in my previous post.  $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4593 on: November 09, 2014, 05:36:44 pm »
Is it Jade Village?    I can't see the mural but all this searching has made me hungry and I'm off for tea now.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #4594 on: November 09, 2014, 05:50:28 pm »
Taste of India... can just see a sign on the left of your photo..

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4595 on: November 09, 2014, 06:21:31 pm »
      Well done SteveH, right on the button. Hugo, I hope you enjoyed your tea and I must  apologise for frustrating your Sunday afternoon, after all your efforts you were so very nearly there!

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4596 on: November 09, 2014, 06:26:53 pm »
             Sorry, forgot to post the photo of the front of "The Taste of India", you can see the mural on the right-hand side of the building, but only if you are approaching from the Beaumaris end of the the town.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #4597 on: November 09, 2014, 06:45:33 pm »
      Well done SteveH, right on the button. Hugo, I hope you enjoyed your tea and I must  apologise for frustrating your Sunday afternoon, after all your efforts you were so very nearly there!
$thanx$  G.    Hugo's efforts and your clues allowed me to nip in at the end.....$thanx$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4598 on: November 09, 2014, 11:04:57 pm »
Nice one Gwynant.    $good$

I did stop there at the Indian Restaurant on Google Streetview but couldn't see the mural

I actually saw that shipwreck of HMS Conway, it must have been about 1953 and it was stranded near the Suspension Bridge on the Caernarfonshire side.  I remember my Nain taking me to see it and looking down at it from the bridge.
It's a frightening thought that it was over 60 years ago!

I'm glad you didn't set one of your hard questions for Saturday!

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4599 on: November 10, 2014, 01:36:29 pm »

I actually saw that shipwreck of HMS Conway, it must have been about 1953 and it was stranded near the Suspension Bridge on the Caernarfonshire side.  I remember my Nain taking me to see it and looking down at it from the bridge.
It's a frightening thought that it was over 60 years ago!

Hugo, I went to see the wreck of the "Conway" with my mother and late brother a few weeks after she went aground in 1953 but before she went on fire. My brother and I (then aged 9 and 7) scrambled down to the shore through the woods while our mother stayed on the path and said to be careful and there was a ladder propped up onto the bow for the use of the salvage workers but there was nobody about, (it was a Sunday morning) so being kids we went up the ladder and onto the deck. The tide was going out very fast through the Swellies tide-race and the deck was very steep and slippy with mud.
      As we were exploring my brother lost his footing on the deck and started sliding down the deck towards the stern which was under water, and I can remember thinking "he's gone" but he managed to grasp a hatch frame as slid down the deck and I found a length of rope and pulled him back up to safety. We decided to get back off the ship very quickly after that and also not to tell my mother when we went back up, but he got a massive telling off for being covered in mud. If only she knew what had actually happened but we couldn't tell her otherwise I would have been in severe trouble as well!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4600 on: November 10, 2014, 03:52:31 pm »
That's scary Gwynant, your brother was so lucky then.  Just as well you didn't tell your Mother as you'd both have been grounded for a long while.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4601 on: November 10, 2014, 04:01:48 pm »
It's amazing what scrapes we got into as kids, and survived.
I was chatting to the Pier Manager about some examples just the other day, it makes me shudder when I think back.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4602 on: November 10, 2014, 04:12:21 pm »
Great story, Gwynant.  $good$

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4603 on: November 10, 2014, 04:21:31 pm »
         That's a relief to learn that there was a breakdown. I thought I had been banned for something I had posted when the "You are banned from entering this site" notice kept coming up on screen.
         Admin, please excuse the e-mails wanting to know the reason, I must have a guilty conscience.........
                                       :rage:   :twoface:  $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4604 on: November 10, 2014, 04:23:41 pm »
'Twas just one of those things, Gwynant :-))
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.