Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1229340 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #4530 on: October 31, 2014, 12:26:18 pm »
Dave,  I can't believe that you've never frequented the Dinorben Arms.     :o      &shake&
Funny thing is, I was in Bodfari earlier this year and was looking at this very building...but it didn't click from your photo.  :roll:

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #4531 on: October 31, 2014, 12:40:06 pm »
We drove in from Tremeirchion but I didn't recognise the building when I first saw it as it has changed so much and I cropped the path on the right from the photo so it didn't make it too easy

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4532 on: October 31, 2014, 01:09:41 pm »
      Very good question Hugo, we used to drop in there when we used to go and watch Wrexham FC in the "glory years" of the 70s, but now we always use the A55 if were are going that way so I never even knew it had closed.             
      For today's question I enclose 2 photos below of the confluences of four rivers.  Where do the rivers merge in each individual photo and what are the names of the four rivers involved?  $walesflag$

(Top Photo A and Bottom Photo B for identification)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4533 on: October 31, 2014, 04:50:30 pm »
I'll have a wild pop at the top photo and say that the two rivers are the Conwy and the Lledr and they meet at the Fairy Glen, just upstream from Pont Ifanc.
Still thinking about the bottom photo and thinking it's the Glaslyn but am nottoo sure      ?{}?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #4534 on: October 31, 2014, 05:09:20 pm »
The River Teme flows eastwards from its source in Mid Wales, straddling the border between Shropshire and Herefordshire, it is joined by the River Onny, River Corve and River Rea before it finally joins the Severn slightly downstream of Worcester. doggy doos Brook near Much Wenlock was culverted to flow into the Severn......? ?

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4535 on: October 31, 2014, 08:12:56 pm »
               Both the photos were taken in the North Wales area. Sorry, but both answers are incorrect! Apologies for the delay in replying, just come in. The correct answers will have the location of the confluence and the two rivers concerned in each photo.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4536 on: November 01, 2014, 11:04:49 am »
   Both the photos were taken in the North Wales area. Sorry, but both answers are incorrect!  The correct answers will have the location of the confluence and the two rivers concerned in each photo.

Photo A is not far from a source of very hot water and Photo B is about the same distance from where a grave miscarriage of justice reportedly occurred.
                                                                                                  $welsh$   $welsh$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4537 on: November 01, 2014, 12:45:06 pm »
I might be completely wrong on this, but the top photo  was the first photo you took on your walk in Tanygrisiau.  I've no idea where the rivers meet but  my guess is the rivers are Afon Dwyryd and the Afon Bowyda

That's a very interesting house in the other photo and what a precarious spot too.   I've no idea about that one either so I'm still thinking and looking.    Now if I knew where that lovely Wood Mouse in your recent photo lived I'm sure that I would know the answer, but I don't.     :(

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4538 on: November 01, 2014, 02:07:07 pm »
       Sorry Hugo, Photo A is not Tan-y-Grisiau but a lot closer to the Three Towns, and although you and I would have visited the nearby village many times, I only passed this spot for the first time on a recent short walk (on which I crossed 4 bridges.) Have a rethink on the last clues  $welsh$  that I posted  for each photo respectively........
       You can only view one site on Google Streetview, but you can see the other on Google Earth (obviously!) and you are exactly right, I spotted the woodmouse 200mts from the site of photo B!

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4539 on: November 01, 2014, 04:01:47 pm »
I think photo 1 is close to a power station, Trawnfynedd?  But have no idea of the answers to either, yet!   :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4540 on: November 01, 2014, 04:21:51 pm »
                   Not Trawsfynydd Yorkie, in fact nowhere near and no connections to a power station, much closer to home. The clues I gave for both locations should be considered bilingually, hence the Welsh flag, but Photo A has links to a narby leisure activity, and one of the rivers in Photo B sounds as if it should be much closer to the 3 Towns area........ .

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #4541 on: November 01, 2014, 04:31:31 pm »
I think B may be the confluence of the Glaslyn and the Colwyn at Beddgelert.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4542 on: November 01, 2014, 04:35:11 pm »
Photo A is at Betws Y Coed on the golf course, at the joining of the Llugwy and Conwy.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4543 on: November 01, 2014, 05:04:53 pm »
          Well done Dave.R. and Cambrian, both correct with locations and names of rivers. Photo A is at the western end of the Golf Course in Betws-y-Coed ("links" with a leisure activity) and downstream from Pont-y-Pair, Bridge of the Cauldron ("source of hot water"), and Photo B is in Beddgelert, Gelert's grave, (where a "grave" miscarriage of justice reportedly occurred.
          Please excuse my attempts at bilingual cryptic clues!   &well&

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4544 on: November 01, 2014, 06:02:09 pm »
Where is this charming country house, which is a couple of miles out of one of the three towns: