Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1229768 times)

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #4365 on: September 18, 2014, 08:44:49 pm »
            Not Dorothea either M.E. Here are a couple more pics from a different point.The slate slab on the left of the original pic is a memorial to a Merchant Navy man who drowned there in 1970. It is an old flooded slate quarry which is on the descent from a hill which sounds like it could be eaten as part of the filling of a sandwich!       $walesflag$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4366 on: September 18, 2014, 08:55:19 pm »
 $dins$ $dins$ $dins$    Mmmm

Mayonnaise Quarry?   Bacon Quarry?   Coronation Chicken Quarry..... Cheese and Onion Quarry....... I could go on, but I'm hungry now!!!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4367 on: September 18, 2014, 09:16:25 pm »

$dins$ $dins$ $dins$    Mmmm

Mayonnaise Quarry?   Bacon Quarry?   Coronation Chicken Quarry..... Cheese and Onion Quarry....... I could go on, but I'm hungry now!!!

It's the hill overlooking the quarry which sounds like sandwich filling, Fester, not the quarry! (which is a couple of miles from a road which could be a sheet of paper ???).

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4368 on: September 18, 2014, 09:59:32 pm »
Penrhyn Quarry? Near the A5!  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4369 on: September 18, 2014, 10:19:06 pm »
Penrhyn Quarry? Near the A5!  :laugh:
        Well done with the A5 (paper size) M.E., but it's not Penrhyn Quarry. If you were zipping along you would be able to see this quarry in the distance.
                                                                                        ££$

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #4370 on: September 18, 2014, 10:46:09 pm »
Is it where the zip wire attraction is near Bethesda?

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4371 on: September 18, 2014, 11:07:20 pm »
Is it where the zip wire attraction is near Bethesda?
             No,Hollins but if you were actually on the zip wire you would be able to see it in the distance. There is a hall on the hill just above it.
                                                 $walesflag$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4372 on: September 19, 2014, 09:13:12 am »
Llyn Owen-y-ddol if I have spelt it correctly.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4373 on: September 19, 2014, 09:47:21 am »
               It's not a lake (llyn) Yorkie, it's a flooded quarry, visible across the A5 if you were riding on the zip-wire, just below "a hall on a hill", on the way down from a hill "that sounds like it could be used as a  sandwich filling" and as another clue, just above the "slate parish"
                                                                                                                $walesflag$
     I will be out all day today so if anyone has a stab at the location I won't be back till tonight to answer any guesses.     ££$

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #4374 on: September 19, 2014, 10:00:21 am »
It has got to be the Bethesda quarry where the zip wire is as the A5  doesn't go past the other zip wire in Blaenau Ffestiniog

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #4375 on: September 19, 2014, 02:15:35 pm »
Is it Bryn Hall Quarry above Llanllechid?

Meleri

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #4376 on: September 19, 2014, 02:46:20 pm »
Just looked it up and the quarry I was thinking of is actually called  Bryn Hafod Y Wern. There is a nearby hill called Moel Wnion, so is onion the sandwich filler?

Meleri

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4377 on: September 19, 2014, 04:37:23 pm »
     Very well done Meleri! I thought that it was called the Bryn Hall Quarry as the warning signs called it that, but I then noticed on-line that it is also called Bryn Hafod-y-Wern quarry.
     The "sandwich filler" was the nearby Moel "Wnion", the road that could be "paper" was the A5, the "hall on a hill" was  Bryn Hall which is right above it, the "slate parish" was the nearby village of Llechwedd which is right below it, and they can all be seen from the zip-wire in Penrhyn Quarry on the other side of the valley. Bryn Hall quarry is over 100ft deep and regarded as very dangerous to dive in as it is full of barbed wire and various other obstacles.
     I remember a man trying to commit suicide with his two children and then changing his mind once they were in the water having to be rescued there a few years ago. I walked past it on Thursday while descending from Moel Wnion and I'll post some details of the walk and some pics  on the "walking" thread tomorrow.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4378 on: September 19, 2014, 10:26:37 pm »
I win then.... for mentioning a cheese and Wnion sandwich!     $good$ $good$
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4379 on: September 19, 2014, 11:00:44 pm »
              You were so close Fester with the first answer but then you felt hungry and didn't specify which answer or sandwich filling you were selecting, but you certainly deserve half a point for effort!
                                                                                                                    $good$    &well&