Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1229917 times)

Online Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #3480 on: November 16, 2013, 10:30:27 pm »
Would this be when you we having lunch at the old lighthouse (O Farol) in Albufeira?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3481 on: November 17, 2013, 09:46:34 am »
Would this be when you we having lunch at the old lighthouse (O Farol) in Albufeira?

O Farol is just a cafe but serves the best jug of Sangria in Town, or so I am led to believe.  Actually no lighthouse ever been there just a bit of poetic licence.  The one on the cliff is just a guiding light for the fishermen, as this area is Praia de Pescadores, or Fisherman's Beach.  The Pescadores now operate from a new purpose built marina and harbour the other end of Albufeira.  Their days of dragging their boats up the beach are long gone, as has the spectacle of watching them return with their catches and selling them from the boat or the nearby fish market, now also moved.

The tableau is a memorial in honour to the Fishermen and their families through the past years. 

Well done Hugo! ;)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Online Hugo

« Reply #3482 on: November 17, 2013, 12:22:41 pm »
Where exactly would you see this bench on your travels in N Wales?          $walesflag$

Online Hugo

« Reply #3483 on: November 17, 2013, 05:16:53 pm »
I didn't see it there last year but it's obvious why and you can see it on Google.   That's if you already know where it is.     :)

Online Hugo

« Reply #3484 on: November 17, 2013, 10:46:30 pm »
If you're walking past you won't miss seeing the bench in this small area.        $walesflag$

Online Hugo

« Reply #3485 on: November 18, 2013, 11:32:46 am »
Lovely views downhill from the bench but I didn't see any fish on my travels although I did keep to the path.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3486 on: November 18, 2013, 08:15:47 pm »
Looks like you're on your own with this one, Hugo!   :D
Cicero

Online Hugo

« Reply #3487 on: November 18, 2013, 10:14:26 pm »
It must be hard then Yorkie because I'm sure that Jack, Gwynant and Welshwiz have all been there so here's a photo to make it easy.

It's behind you as they say in Panto!   

Online Hugo

« Reply #3488 on: November 18, 2013, 10:57:27 pm »
The bench is located right in the middle of this little valley, so it's impossible to get past without seeing the bench.       $walesflag$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3489 on: November 19, 2013, 09:02:16 am »
Ah!  So what's the name of the Valley? It looks to me like one of the Glacial Valleys possibly running parallel to the A5.  But that's me now exhausted!   ;D
Cicero

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3490 on: November 19, 2013, 09:46:55 am »
                 Hugo, this one has really got me thinking, but after studying the "behind you" picture you posted and reading about your recent Beddgelert walk I think it could be in the Cwm Bychan area as I think the picture shows the view down the Aberglaslyn valley towards the coast, with the lower slopes of Moel Hebog off to the right, and also the existence of wild rhodedendron in the area.
                I walked the route many years ago, from Beddgelert  North to Llyn Dinas and turned right uphill to walk back over to Cwm Bychan and down past the old pylons to return through the tunnels on the the WHR track (before it was relaid!) back past Gelert's grave to Beddgelert but I don't recall passing the bench so I could also be completely wrong!

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3491 on: November 19, 2013, 10:46:45 am »
The date on the bench shows, I think, 1965-2005 so it probably hasn't been there that long.   :D

Do I get half a point? ;D
Cicero

Online Hugo

« Reply #3492 on: November 19, 2013, 10:52:31 am »
Gwynant you have got the location correct and the reason you haven't seen it is because it wasn't there until 2013.   It's a Memorial Bench in Cwm Bychan and is located between the small waterfall and the first pylon.  In fact I took the last photo while sitting on the bench eating my sandwiches.      &well&

The walk from Beddgelert is called the Fisherman's Path and Cwm Bychan ( Eng  Little Valley )     $walesflag$

Yorkie, it can be googled but only if you know the location.   I put in Google  "Memorial Bench  Cwm Bychan"  and some nice photos of the area came out and a guy was sitting on the bench 

Online Hugo

« Reply #3493 on: November 19, 2013, 11:00:06 am »
The date on the bench shows, I think, 1965-2005 so it probably hasn't been there that long.   :D

Do I get half a point? ;D

I'm afraid not Yorkie, the date is 2013 anyway and after all I did tell you the name of the place.   "Little Valley"    ( Welsh Cwm Bychan)     $walesflag$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3494 on: November 19, 2013, 11:04:16 am »
I'll have to brush up my Welsh, and start going to Specsavers.

Try this one, where, what and what special attraction does it have.
Cicero