Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1229234 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #3060 on: September 07, 2013, 06:37:24 am »
We actually know the hill and have been up it many times to visit my Wife's Aunt and Cousin who live in Gwaenysgor!  I drive with my eyes closed, of course!   :D 

We have a book titled "ON COMMON GROUND Gwaenysgor Flintshire", "An Exploration of The History of a North Wales Village from 1850 to 2000".  This was written by Roger Hadley who was the Husband of my Wife's Cousin!  A fascinating volume. 
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3061 on: September 07, 2013, 07:21:09 am »
Maybe of interest to all our walkers.

Walking with History

Walking with History, a guide to walks in Gwaenysgor and Trelawnyd was written by Roger Hadley, who was an enthusiastic member of the group until his death in 2001. It was published in 2000 to accompany the establishment of the Millennium Trail, which was created with a grant to the Trelawnyd & Gwaenysgor Community Council.
The Gwaenysgor Conservation Group took responsibility for work on the walks in this parish. The Millennium Trail was opened by Sir Dafydd Elis Thomas in January 2001. Roger Hadley was also the author of a history of the village entitled On Common Land: an Exploration of the History of a North Wales Village from 1850 to 2000, which was published in 2003. The blurb on the dust cover says:

"Well illustrated, rich in detail, full of characters and controversy, the book is both a good read and a doorway into the past of our grandparents and great-grandparents.”
Copies of the book are available from Clare Wenger Hadley, Tir Gwelyog, Gwaenysgor, 01745 856377
Cicero

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3062 on: September 07, 2013, 08:41:40 am »
            Where in the North Wales area would you find this warning/information sign?       $walesflag$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3063 on: September 07, 2013, 10:24:15 am »
Talacre.     $good$
Cicero

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3064 on: September 07, 2013, 11:08:32 am »
                     Well done Yorkie. I'd never been there before and we took our bikes down on the car-rack and cycled to Prestatyn and back on the Coastal Path/Cycle Track last Wednesday. It is a part of North Wales which we hardly ever visit since the advent of the A55, and the path is a nice easy flat ride. There is a lot of conservation work being done there, and the dunes and beach are very unspoilt. (pics below)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3065 on: September 07, 2013, 12:08:51 pm »
I think it is one of very few places with such a warning, as supposed to be quite dangerous. ???
Cicero

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #3066 on: September 07, 2013, 03:21:51 pm »
More zinc cladding....where this time?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3067 on: September 07, 2013, 04:38:18 pm »
Sorry to say I find this picture much too obscure to even hazard a guess, except to say it is probably on a building somewhere.  In fact there could be more than one building with a similar view.   However, someone will probably recognise it!    ???

However, not to be outdone, I will suggest that it is part of a Sports (Football) Stadium.   ;D
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3068 on: September 07, 2013, 04:57:52 pm »
                     Well done Yorkie. I'd never been there before and we took our bikes down on the car-rack and cycled to Prestatyn and back on the Coastal Path/Cycle Track last Wednesday. It is a part of North Wales which we hardly ever visit since the advent of the A55, and the path is a nice easy flat ride. There is a lot of conservation work being done there, and the dunes and beach are very unspoilt. (pics below)
That Car Park floods very easily at High Tide, so be warned!

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3069 on: September 07, 2013, 07:52:46 pm »
That Car Park floods very easily at High Tide, so be warned!
             I realised that when I read the sign Dave, which is why we parked the car in the free car park in the Smuggler's Arms, on the landward side of the sea defences!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 09:00:58 pm by DaveR »

Offline hollins

« Reply #3070 on: September 08, 2013, 01:01:20 pm »
More zinc cladding....where this time?

Some clues needed?
It is in North Wales and this new building was opened in 2008. The zig zag metalwork parts are entrance gates.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3071 on: September 08, 2013, 02:01:02 pm »
Is it the Ruthin Craft Centre?

Offline hollins

« Reply #3072 on: September 08, 2013, 02:14:47 pm »
Yes, well done Hugo.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3073 on: September 08, 2013, 02:52:24 pm »
I tried Google Street view on the place last night but with so many trees around the building I couldn't be sure if it was the one.  Your clue today certainly helped.    $good$

You can sometimes see Waxwings feeding there when the berries are out.

Offline hollins

« Reply #3074 on: September 08, 2013, 03:13:12 pm »
I was there yesterday to visit the exhibition of David and Margaret Frith's pottery which unfortunately finishes today.
I managed to resist buying anything there but on the way back called in at their studio and more correctly their sale shed in the back garden where these two beauties were hiding. Still it gives great pleasure to be able to buy such lovely things from local artists.