Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1229136 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #2130 on: September 14, 2012, 05:09:02 pm »
No, it is in Wales but much further south.

The Mediterranean reference to the Church  is Malta and the North Wales town is Denbigh.   Does that help a bit?       $welsh$

Answers in Welsh, English or Maltese accepted.         $walesflag$

Offline hollins

« Reply #2131 on: September 14, 2012, 05:15:05 pm »
Is it in Tenby? No idea where or what it is called though!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2132 on: September 14, 2012, 06:10:05 pm »
Hollins, you have surprised me because you're the roving reporter who posted the photo of the Church on the internet!       :o

One point if you guess the Welsh name from this photo and remember, the clues are there in the photo.      $walesflag$

Another point if you guess the Malta connection.

Offline hollins

« Reply #2133 on: September 14, 2012, 06:38:11 pm »
My god.......I think she might have got it. Well part of it, still don't know the Malta connection.
Is it St Julian's Church, Tenby harbour? Tenby= Dinbych-y-Pysgod=Little Town of the Fishes.
Good one Hugo!
 $good$

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2134 on: September 14, 2012, 07:02:25 pm »
I once stayed in a place called St. Julian's in Malta on a family holiday as a kid, it was a converted military base and we were in what was the officer's quarters.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2135 on: September 14, 2012, 07:43:49 pm »
At last Hollins, well done.       &well&

The Church is on the right in your photo of Tenby Harbour and St Julians is a coastal town in Malta as SDQ has mentioned.   I couldn't post another photo of the Church as it is so well known that it would have been too easy

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2136 on: September 15, 2012, 08:32:02 am »
      The church in Tenby was a very hard one unless you had been there, Hugo. I didn't  glean enough from your clues to hazard even one guess!  While we are one a religious theme where would you find this church? It is within 40 miles of Llandudno, and there is an additional clue in the photo.

Offline hollins

« Reply #2137 on: September 15, 2012, 02:28:52 pm »
Hi Gwynant,
Believe me, I thought Hugo's quiz was hard and I was in Tenby!
Still puzzling over your quiz now, no idea.
Cheers!

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2138 on: September 15, 2012, 02:59:08 pm »
St. Cyngar's church, Llangefni?
Valar Morghulis

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2139 on: September 15, 2012, 04:10:24 pm »
       Absolutely correct SDQ, it is St. Cyngar's Church, Llangefni, also known as Eglws-y Plwyf, which is at the start (or finish) of the Nant-y-Pandy Nature Reserve Walk. We took a No. 32 bus out of Llangefni, got off at the Forestry car park just beyond Rhosmeirch (where we were amused to read the "flick-it-with-a-stick" notice about the dog-poo that Jack mentioned in the Great Orme thread recently!)  and followed the path back past Llyn Cefni and alongside the old Pentre Berw-Amlwch railway line, which still has the tracks down and I believe is under consideration for a Llangollen type restoration. Took about an hour from getting on the bus to arriving back into Llangefni, and is another flat enjoyable walk. As you normally come up with extra info. perhaps you could tell me what big the works/factory is next to the dam across the head of Llyn Cefni.
      Thanks also for your reply Hollins, I had absolutely no ideas about the Tenby church question, even after Hugo's extra clues!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2140 on: September 15, 2012, 04:13:32 pm »
I couldn't make it too easy Hollins because I knew you were on the loose in that area  The east wall of the church is covered with a bobbin trawl with imitation lobsters, crabs and starfish in the meshes. This was originally put in place for a Harvest Festival in the 1960s to represent the harvest of the sea, and they have remained there ever since.
It was built in the late 1800's for the seafaring community of the town and one click on Google "Fisherman's Church" would have got it.

SDQ is spot on and I was looking in the wrong area. 

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2141 on: September 15, 2012, 05:03:57 pm »
Do you mean the Cefni water treatment works? I was based there for 18 months during my apprenticeship with the WWA.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2142 on: September 15, 2012, 08:29:15 pm »
      SDQ, I never realised that I was so close to home with you with the Cefni Reservoir query!  It looked like a manufacturing plant. Anyway thanks for the info. I do quite a bit of walking on Ynys Mon and I appreciate any extra knowledge. Thanks very much again.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2143 on: September 15, 2012, 10:16:28 pm »
      SDQ, I never realised that I was so close to home with you with the Cefni Reservoir query!  It looked like a manufacturing plant. Anyway thanks for the info. I do quite a bit of walking on Ynys Mon and I appreciate any extra knowledge. Thanks very much again.

The upper building is the main treatment plant, the lower building has the pumps (below ground) and the fluoridation unit at ground level. The smaller building beside the pump house is the workshop cum stores where we were based.
Valar Morghulis

Offline hollins

« Reply #2144 on: September 16, 2012, 06:41:46 pm »
Where in North Wales will you find this rather sad looking building?