Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1228913 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #2100 on: September 07, 2012, 07:20:51 pm »
Thanks for posting a new quiz question Gwynant.
Are they navigation markers at Carmel Head on Anglesey?

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2101 on: September 07, 2012, 07:41:59 pm »
Carmel Head/Trwyn y Gader lies at the extreme north west tip of Wales on the Isle of Anglesey.  Offshore are The Skerries/Ynysoedd y Moelrhoniaid guarded by a lighthouse, while to the east of them is Maen y Bugael/West Mouse.  This is one of three small islands - East/Ynys Amlwch, Middle/Ynys Badrig and West/Maen y Bugael off the north  coast.
  On the mainland opposite West Mouse are two large triangular stone towers erected by the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board in the 1860's as an aid to navigation on this dangerous coastline.  The two towers line up with a third marker on West Mouse. 

These navigation marks are the Coal Rock Beacons, known colloquially as the White Ladies.  The sight-line through them and the West Mouse Beacon aligns with the dangerous Coal Rock, which is awash at low water spring tides.  This lies a little further offshore beyond the Mouse.  Coal Rock is the centremost of a group of three - Ethel Rock to the west and Archdeacon Rock to the east.  Coal Rock is a hazard to navigation as it lies sufficiently far offshore (one and a half miles ) to constitute a danger to vessels making a passage to or from the Point Lynas/Amlwch direction and passing outside ( to the north of ) the Skerries.  This was particularly so in the days of sail when coastal traffic was intense and the need to tack against adverse winds made diversion from a direct course necessary. 

In addition to the beacons Trinity House marked the three rocks mentioned each with its own buoy (black conical ) and at night the Skerries Lighthouse shone a red sector over the area warning of the danger.  The beacons were last painted in 1955 when a party was put ashore by the Trinity House Vessel "Argus", which used to be based in Holyhead.  Many thanks to Norman Sheldrick for much of the above information.

Any practical use of the towers would have been very many years ago but they remain in excellent condition.  Today's commercial shipping keeps well clear of this coastline, with its fast currents and notorious rocks although yachts and fishing boats are a common sight.  Further details on the history of this site are most welcome, please contact me here.

Carmel Head is a beautiful area of rocky coastline and is accessed by the Anglesey Coastal Path and from other footpaths in the area.  As there is little shelter and no habitation on this coastline the weather forecast should be checked before starting out  Stout footwear and appropriate clothing are also recommended.

I obviously got the info from a website but I was surprised to see the name Norman Sheldrick as if it's the same one he was one of the guys who taught me during my apprenticeship with WWA in the mid 1980's! Small world.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2102 on: September 07, 2012, 08:07:39 pm »
      Well done Hollins and SDQ ( also special thanks to SDQ for all the additional information on the "White Ladies"). I was a bit worried that half a day had passed and there were no answers to the post, (especially from Hugo who usually has the correct answer within 10 mins. of posting!.) I had just written a reply to the Richard (Dick) Evans question last night, and when I went to post it he already had posted  the answer. I had the pleasure of meeting Richard Evans many years ago at his house in Moelfre and he was the most humble and unassuming man, considering he had won two  RNLI Gold Medals for gallantry during his time as coxwain of the Moelfre lifeboat. I happened to be on the headland in Moelfre on the day of the M.V."Hindlea" rescue and the conditions were absolutely appalling, and the statue in Moelfre is a testament to a very brave man. 

Offline hollins

« Reply #2103 on: September 07, 2012, 08:16:08 pm »
Thanks Gwynant for that interesting insight in to Dick Evans. I'm glad I took the photo now.
I remember the first quiz question I put on, I was panic struck when nobody responded for quite a while.
It would be good if more people could post some. I like trying to find out the answers.
This one took some serious googling.
I got the info from the same article as SDQ.
http://www.penmorfa.com/porthwen/carmel%20head.html
Some good photos on there as was yours.
 $thanx$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2104 on: September 08, 2012, 12:53:08 pm »
That was a toughie for your starter Gwynant, it was doing my head in trying to think where they were. I must have walked past them a few times but just could't remember where they were.      $good$

You were lucky to have met Dick Evans in person because he was a remarkable man and to have witnessed that day on the headland in Moelfre.  Dick and all the Lifeboat crew are so brave and put their own lives at risk every time they went out on a rescue.
I remember seeing the TV programme "This is your life" when he was on it and it was really interesting to watch

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2105 on: September 09, 2012, 11:35:05 am »
Nice bench with lovely views. It could be anywhere but I wonder if Jack sat here?
Where exactly is it?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2106 on: September 09, 2012, 05:47:26 pm »
If you suffer fron vertigo then you wouldn't see this place but would take the short cut to the RSPB place instead     $walesflag$

Offline Jack

« Reply #2107 on: September 09, 2012, 05:54:17 pm »
Is it somewhere around Ellin's Tower at South Stack on Holyhead Mountain perhaps?  Must confess to not noticing it!!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2108 on: September 09, 2012, 06:06:52 pm »
Spot on Jack,      &well&
from the car park head to the cliff and walk along there to Ellin's Tower. It's a narrow path on the cliff edge and not advisable on a windy day.

Offline Jack

« Reply #2109 on: September 09, 2012, 07:25:01 pm »
Which English seaside resort would you find this polar bear?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2110 on: September 09, 2012, 09:25:35 pm »
I have a vague recollection of seeing a Polar Bear at Morecambe, but its years ago, and the memory fades.....
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Jack

« Reply #2111 on: September 09, 2012, 10:07:19 pm »
Sorry Fester not Morecambe, here is another picture from the same seaside town as a clue!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2112 on: September 09, 2012, 10:10:39 pm »
Ohhh... Its Whitby.

I should have known, I have been there so many times.

The only place I can eat a crab thats even tastier than a Great Orme one!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Jack

« Reply #2113 on: September 09, 2012, 10:17:00 pm »
 $good$ Well done Fester!

No idea why there is a polar bear on the roof of Holland & Barrett, anyone else know?
Was in Whitby on Friday it was so busy with holidaymakers enjoying the sunshine as was Robin Hoods Bay where we stayed the night.

Offline hollins

« Reply #2114 on: September 11, 2012, 04:43:34 pm »
Where in Wales would you find this small island?