Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1228929 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #2040 on: August 05, 2012, 01:33:00 pm »
The Brookhouse Mill near Denbigh?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #2041 on: August 05, 2012, 01:35:15 pm »
Betws yn Rhos
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2042 on: August 05, 2012, 02:11:00 pm »
The Brookhouse Mill near Denbigh?

That was a red herring Bri.    Think Cymraeg    $walesflag$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2043 on: August 05, 2012, 02:19:15 pm »
Last clue will easily give it away so I'm looking for the name of the Church now.

Two clues now one for the ladies and one for the guys:-
Ladies first
There's a nice ladies shop nearby, but the prices.....ouch!       still can always have a nice coffee there to recover from the shock!

Guys next
Hang on a mo, this guy was not Joe Public because he was a big wig in more ways than one and lived in a big Hall nearby?

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #2044 on: August 05, 2012, 02:39:09 pm »
Bodrhyddan Hall?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2045 on: August 05, 2012, 02:50:51 pm »
Sorry Bri but you're going in the wrong direction after your last guess.    If you haven't been inside this Church you must go as there is a lot of history there.
Remember the clues are there!      $walesflag$

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2046 on: August 05, 2012, 03:14:14 pm »
Y Felinheli?
Valar Morghulis

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2047 on: August 05, 2012, 03:32:04 pm »
Sorry SDQ you're miles away. 
-
The Church is in a big valley and east of the Conwy Valley.   Bri Roberts is the nearest location wise but he was thinking in English?     $walesflag$ 

Does that help a lot?

Dave and Suepp should definitely know where it is and I bet Hollins has been very near there too.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #2048 on: August 05, 2012, 03:44:46 pm »
Llanrhaiadr.   Is the Church ST DOGFAN'S?

The shop is The Lodge!
Cicero

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2049 on: August 05, 2012, 04:03:44 pm »
Well done Yorkie       &well&        The full title of the village is Llanrhaeadr Yng Nghinmeirch and you can get an extra point if you can pronounce it.       ;D

The Church is called St Dyfnog's and is well worth a visit.   The sculpture is of Maurice (mo) Jones the local squire and there are a number of other interesting features inside like the Jesse window. The Church was bypassed when they built the main road lower down.
St Dyfnog's Holy Well is nearby and that is worth going to see too.
The Lodge is the well known Ladies Clothes shop and my favourite restaurant there is the Nant Y Felin.   Nant = brook   Y = the  Felin =Mill 
 At the heart of the beautiful Vale of Clwyd”
Welcome to St Dyfnog’s Church
At St Dyfnog’s we try to reach out to everyone in our community and beyond, encourage people in their spiritual journey and provide sacred space for all to use.
St Dyfnog came here in the 6th century and many continue to visit his holy well, in the wooded dell behind the church.
Entering the church through a fine 16th century carved timber porch, you are immediately aware of the glorious stained glass of the Jesse window, which was completed in 1544, and the peace of this special place.
During the Civil War, the window was taken out and buried in the oak chest to protect it from damage by the Parliamentarians. It was put back in 1661.
The west window contains even earlier glass and other attractions include an ornate monument to Maurice Jones, who died in 1702, and a golden pelican of 1762. The 15th century wood carvings, in the hammer beam panelled roof above the sanctuary, are not to be missed!

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #2050 on: August 05, 2012, 04:20:28 pm »
Realised I got the church name wrong and it should be St Dyfnog but was too late to modify!  When would you like to hear me pronounce the name of the place?    ;)

I'm quite good at pronunciation, though I just haven't a clue what I'm saying!      L0L
Cicero

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2051 on: August 05, 2012, 05:28:17 pm »
You worked well on that one Yorkie and deserved full points.     $good$

I had to delay putting in my walking photos as I know that you would have guessed it immediately  because of the numbers etc 

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #2052 on: August 05, 2012, 06:36:51 pm »
I noticed that you hadn't posted any photos near the number of the quiz item.  You're getting a bit too crafty.   The give away in the end was the expensive shop with the coffee and it being in the valley.   I got the church mixed up with Bishop Morgan Thomas which was a different Llanrhaiadr.   I remember some years ago giving a performance at the Kings Head in Llanrhaiadr with a local Morris Dance Group.   Their name was Clerical Error, wonder if they are still around! 
  <:<:<:<
Cicero

Offline hollins

« Reply #2053 on: August 05, 2012, 07:31:05 pm »
I bet Hollins has been very near there too.

Hollins didn't have a clue where it was despite extensive research on the internet!
I am becoming an expert on North Wales churches with your questions Hugo. It is fun trying to find out the answers though.

I have never been to Nant y Felin but I will try it now you have recommended it, thanks.

I noticed you started you walk at Rhewl. I had an excellent afternoon tea there recently at the relatively newly opened cafe at Homewood Bound.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2054 on: August 06, 2012, 12:15:40 pm »
If you haven't been to the Church in Llanrhaeadr Hollins then you must go as there is a lot to see inside and that woodland dell with the Holy well is also worth seeing.
I must admit that I haven't been to the Nant Y Felin for years so I can't vouch for it now.  If I didn't live so far away from that area then I would still be going there.  Don't forget to post the Hollins Taste Test if you do decide to give it a go.
Thanks for the tip on Homeward Bound, I'll try it when I'm there again.