Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1228407 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #1140 on: May 31, 2011, 09:59:03 pm »
I'll put everyone out of their misery especially Yorkie who'll need another holiday after this.     ;D
The answer is the Salem Bungalow on the Rhyl Golf Links. Now before anyone says that Rhyl is only a 9 hole Golf Links, this wasn't always the case and when the photo was taken Rhyl was an 18 hole links course. Unfortunately for the owner of the Salem Bungalow and Rhyl Golf Club the sea washed away 9 holes as well as the bungalow.  A sea wall was built to protect the area and the remaining 9 holes but the foundations of the bungalow are still visible on the beach
Extract from Google
Shortly after the turn of the century the course had been expanded to a full 18 holes and the course was rated highly. But in 1921 publication of plans to build a road from Rhyl to Gronant began a long period of uncertainty for the club. First they lost holes at the west end and by 1930 the course had been separated from its clubhouse by half a mile. Further land was obtained nearer to Prestatyn, James Braid advising on the design and construction of the replacement course.

Then came the Second World War and with it further loss of land. First the sea eroded parts of the coastline and in the process destroyed Salem Bungalow* through the grounds of which golfers had passed to get from one part of the course to the next. The sea had moved inland some 550 yards between 1911 and the end of the war so a new sea defence system with promenade was built ensuring survival of the golf course but eating into it a little more, As if that were not enough, blown sand obliterated several holes at the Prestatyn end. When thought was given to restoring the golf course in peacetime there was no longer sufficient ground to accommodate a full 18 holes.

Nor are these the only tribulations this proud club has had to overcome. In the 1960s there was the threat of a huge amusement park to be built on the land, and in the club’s centenary year, of all years, a combination of exceptional winds and high tides caused the course to be flooded with sea water and shortly after that a fire destroyed part of the clubhouse. It is against this background that we should be very thankful that we are able to play at all on this historic turf.

Today the course is of nine holes, on good links grass, playing to an 18-hole length of 6165 yards and a par of 70.

* I was told by my playing partner many years ago that the owner of this bungalow had designed a turntable for electric trams. How educational a round of golf can be!

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1141 on: June 01, 2011, 08:22:27 am »
Where was this photograph taken, and what is the bird's name?    
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1142 on: June 01, 2011, 12:46:14 pm »
Have I had a post deleted or am I becoming absent-minded?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1143 on: June 01, 2011, 01:15:30 pm »
I've only known the bird as **** because that's what I called him when he pinched my ice cream.
Wish I knew where the photo was taken from because I'd like to wring it's neck.   ;)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1144 on: June 01, 2011, 04:02:55 pm »
I'll give you a clue as it is not an easy one - the picture was taken at the seaside in North Wales within about 20 miles as the Seagull flies from 'top of Great Orme!    :D

The bird's name does not begin with F or B.    D)
Cicero

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1145 on: June 01, 2011, 06:06:52 pm »
I do know what the Bird's name is as it begins and ends with T  but don't know eggsactly where the photo was taken.

It'll only ruffle my feathers if it was above Cadwaladers.   $angry1$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1146 on: June 01, 2011, 06:51:26 pm »
No - name starts and ends with different letters neither of which is "T".   Not Cadwalader's - picture taken at a place where the tide regularly ebbs and flows twice in every day.   Z**
Cicero

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1147 on: June 01, 2011, 07:04:46 pm »
Looks like the Bird's waiting by the cafe that serves ice cream in Llanfairfechan but he won't have many victims on a day like that.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1148 on: June 01, 2011, 07:19:58 pm »
You're getting warm but the waves picture could be misleading as I just grabbed it from t'Internet.    ;D
Cicero

Offline Paddy

« Reply #1149 on: June 01, 2011, 07:49:18 pm »
Would I be getting warm if I were to guess that neither the seagull or the place where the picture was taken actually exist anymore?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1150 on: June 01, 2011, 08:12:39 pm »
Now there is a poser. 
The pic was taken a few weeks (months?) ago so unless there has been a Tsunami the place still exists.  As for the Bird, I really don't know.   It could have suffered a fate at sea or been disposed of by someone who's ice-cream it snaffled (e.g. Hugo).  We shall never know!   However our feathered friend is having its 15 minutes of fame irrespective of its present demise.     L0L 
Notice I haven't said he or she?  The clues are there!   ££$
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1151 on: June 01, 2011, 10:49:47 pm »
How can you have a quiz question if you don't know a definite answer? Surely it's pointless?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1152 on: June 01, 2011, 11:32:52 pm »
The Seagull is called STEVE... STEVE SEAGULL  (Steven Seagal?)  ...

It is now DEAD, as a result of a pellet through its bonce by Hugo,  who got there moments before me... after I lost my pastie purchased from Gerrards.

Total waste of money, and this question was a total waste of my time, and a total waste of broadband width.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1153 on: June 02, 2011, 08:29:29 am »
You are wrong but in view of your comment it is Game over!     $walesflag$

I must apologise most sincerely to the Owner, Moderators and Members of the Forum for totally and utterly wasting their time and the most important and costly bandwidth with such a ridiculous poser.   I hope in time those who felt, or do still feel agrieved, will find  it in their hearts to forgive me this transgression    I do promise never ever to enter such a trite and disagreeable posting in the future (this one excluded).  I will now crawl into my box, throw my keyboard away and never ever post such rubbish on this Forum again.

I can hear the cheers now!    L0L   

The Birds uttered its name as it was shot by Hugo it said - "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!"  Then it fell off the post   ZXZ   - never to steal ice-cream, doughnuts or sarnies again!    :P

Cicero

Offline hollins

« Reply #1154 on: June 02, 2011, 09:08:07 am »
Now the bird has flown (died)......

The mouth of which river is this?