Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1228222 times)

Online DVT

• Management board member
Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #6270 on: June 12, 2018, 09:34:39 am »
No other answers - see if this helps!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #6271 on: June 12, 2018, 09:52:36 am »
Nant Gwrtheyrn?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6272 on: June 12, 2018, 11:46:18 am »
I haven't seen the sculpture but I knew that I'd seen the cottage but couldn't remember where.

Online DVT

« Reply #6273 on: June 12, 2018, 02:33:05 pm »
Yes, correct ... I only realised after posting the second pic, and then going out, that google would probably help - checked when I came home a short while ago, and it did !!!  Well worth a visit, a very steep road down (and back up!) - was there last Wednesday for the Three Castles competitors (it was a coffee stop!) and the sea was calm, it was hot and sunny, and you felt as if you were miles from anywhere!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #6274 on: June 12, 2018, 06:30:19 pm »
Yes I have to admit that I Googled the names.
Your comment about the road brought back memories. Over 40 years ago we went there, when it was all nothing but ruins, no car access, nothing. It nearly killed us walking back up that track, our daughter was only about 10 and she was in a worse state than we were ! We returned at a later date, after the road was made, in the middle of a horrendous storm, but everywhere was so wet and muddy that we didn't venture down ! :-\

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #6275 on: June 12, 2018, 07:45:52 pm »
To try something a bit different…

I don’t think the (public domain) photo will help much but who is he?

It might take a bit of a specific interes tthat maybe one or two here have. He was a hero in the North Norfolk area I’m in.  What he is known for is valuable to towns like Llandudno and he received a few medals for his efforts.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6276 on: June 12, 2018, 08:33:16 pm »
Yes I have to admit that I Googled the names.
Your comment about the road brought back memories. Over 40 years ago we went there, when it was all nothing but ruins, no car access, nothing. It nearly killed us walking back up that track, our daughter was only about 10 and she was in a worse state than we were ! We returned at a later date, after the road was made, in the middle of a horrendous storm, but everywhere was so wet and muddy that we didn't venture down ! :-\

We went there about 45 years ago, down that track and did it on an August Bank Holiday which happened to be the hottest day of the year and cooled off by having a dip in the sea.
But then we had to climb back up that very long and steep track and it was torture.
When we had a coastal walk from Pistyll to Nant Gwytheyrn in recent years we made sure that we used two cars and one had to be in the Nant Gwytheyrn car park as we would never have been able to walk up that steep hill.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6277 on: June 12, 2018, 08:41:08 pm »
To try something a bit different…

I don’t think the (public domain) photo will help much but who is he?

It might take a bit of a specific interes tthat maybe one or two here have. He was a hero in the North Norfolk area I’m in.  What he is known for is valuable to towns like Llandudno and he received a few medals for his efforts.

Sometimes the face tells a story and that person must be Henry Blogg one of the historic Cromer lifeboat men.   Brave people indeed

Henry George Blogg[1][2] GC BEM (6 February 1876 – 13 June 1954) was a lifeboatman from Cromer on the north coast of Norfolk, England and the most decorated in RNLI history.

Blogg of the Cromer Lifeboat Station is referred to as "the greatest of the lifeboatmen".[1] From the rescue of the crew of the Pyrin and then of half of the crew of the Fernebo in 1917, through to his near drowning in the service to the SS English Trader in 1941, he was awarded the gold medal of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution three times and the silver medal four times, the George Cross, the British Empire Medal, and a series of other awards.[

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #6278 on: June 12, 2018, 09:23:38 pm »
Must have made it too easy, Hugo, says me with a wink  ;)

But, yes, absolutely spot on.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6279 on: July 12, 2018, 10:25:46 am »
Another easy one, where is this white building in N Wales?       

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #6280 on: July 12, 2018, 10:56:52 am »
toll house Penmanpool?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6281 on: July 12, 2018, 11:23:19 am »
Well done Nemesis, I thought that you would get that.

We did the Mawddach trail walk yesterday from Penmaenpool and ended up in one of your favourite spots Barmouth.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #6282 on: July 12, 2018, 01:16:08 pm »
The Mawddach Estuary has always held a fascination for us. The scenery is so spectacular.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6283 on: July 12, 2018, 02:25:25 pm »
I can understand why Nemesis, it's a beautiful place with superb views in all directions.    That Mawddach Terrace is in such a lovely spot right by the riverside and I can understand why the residents want to keep it exclusive to themselves.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #6284 on: July 12, 2018, 05:40:23 pm »
Can anyone guess where we were sitting having a picnic lunch on Tuesday?