Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1229307 times)

Offline mull

• Management board member
Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #6210 on: April 21, 2018, 09:14:25 am »
Get it a pint of Guinness !

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6211 on: April 29, 2018, 07:28:07 pm »
This may well be too easy for those that have been to this property but what well known person once lived in this house in N Wales?

Name the person and the location please

Offline hollins

« Reply #6212 on: April 29, 2018, 07:52:11 pm »
Is it Lloyd George, Llanystumdwy?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6213 on: April 29, 2018, 09:51:40 pm »
That's a good guess Hollins but it's not Lloyd George, it's nearer to you than that

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6214 on: April 30, 2018, 09:11:24 am »
It's only easy if you know it, but a number of forum members have been to the property including DaveR.    When Dave went there the property was open but I don't think that he went inside the building, however he did take a photo of it and posted it on the forum.
Now that may make it too easy!     

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6215 on: April 30, 2018, 12:45:54 pm »
No guesses?     the person was famous for a number of things and if anyone has ever worked in an office they must have used one thing that this person is most well known for.   

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6216 on: April 30, 2018, 04:12:47 pm »
It's in an ideal spot, set in a valley with a river running through it, perfect for fishing, relaxing or getting inspiration for your next work.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #6217 on: April 30, 2018, 04:23:22 pm »
Definitely intriguing but lists of Welsh inventors aren’t helping me nor are things like staplers, filing cabinets, pens, etc.

Mind you, I’m no good at these quizzes. Most I don’t know but I couldn’t even get beyond thinking after some clues that a recent one might just be very close to somewhere I once lived...

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6218 on: April 30, 2018, 05:03:43 pm »
You've been busy Squiggle and I've not been too generous with the clues, mainly because DaveR  has taken a photo of it in recent years and also because a number of other forum members have seen the property on their walk
The person is English and stayed at a friend's or relatives property near the building  many, many years ago so it's not anything modern that has been built but the persons legacy lives on and you may have to refer to it from time to time, I know I do.

The name of the river will give some clue to the location, that is if you understand Welsh!       ;D

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #6219 on: April 30, 2018, 05:19:54 pm »
Thanks Hugo but I’m lost.  The one thing I can can come up with that I do refer to regularly is a dictionary but I doubt it’s Samuel Johnston. I’ll leaver it to others and may kick myself when the answer is revealed.

I doubt my Welsh makes tipyn bach btw.  The odd small phrase but that's it.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6220 on: April 30, 2018, 06:50:22 pm »
Don't under estimate yourself Squiggle because you are spot on.    Well done, because it wasn't easy and there are some clues that were correct but meant to make it a bit harder,

DaveR did post a photo of the property and it was open when Dave passed it, I suppose with no roof, no door or windows you could call it open, but you couldn't go in it because it's fenced off!

It's just a ruin now but in it's heyday looked quite an attractive building.  A former workmate of Tellytubby sent him the postcard and her relative once lived in this delightful cottage which is on the banks of the Afon Ystrad  (Vale River)

Dr Samuel Johnson (1709-1784), English wit and author of the Dictionary of the English Language, on the 308th anniversary of his birth.

Johnson’s dictionary appeared in 1755 and remains a landmark achievement of English prose, an extraordinary individual undertaking that included over 42,000 entries and took its writer nine long years to assemble.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #6221 on: April 30, 2018, 07:03:41 pm »
Thanks Hugo.  I've just tried to follow up a little.  Maybe the walk you took but I'll post this link anyway:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2006/may/20/gowalk.guardianspecial53

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6222 on: April 30, 2018, 10:22:41 pm »
Thanks Squigglev 2 ,   the walk we did was a variation on the walk that you've posted.   What I remember about it was that it was the wettest and muckiest walk we have done but the views were good and I fancied doing it after reading Dave R's post on his walk to Dr Johnson's cottage

Offline hollins

« Reply #6223 on: May 07, 2018, 05:11:54 pm »
Where in Wales will you find this structure?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6224 on: May 07, 2018, 07:11:51 pm »
Is that the white rock that acts as a lighthouse marker in Porthgain, Pembrokeshire ?      It couldn't have been much use on the day you took the photo Hollins