• Management board member
Re: Cars
« Reply #630 on: January 04, 2017, 05:01:58 pm »
We saw this immaculate little Morris Minor on the West Shore today

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #631 on: January 04, 2017, 05:51:07 pm »
Nice photos H.  It looks a bit unusual, is it because of the 4 doors, I always think of them as 2door cars, maybe M E can clarify.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #632 on: January 04, 2017, 06:01:23 pm »
No Steve. I had a 1957 Minor 1000 with four doors, and a good little motor it was too.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #633 on: January 04, 2017, 08:55:18 pm »
No Steve. I had a 1957 Minor 1000 with four doors, and a good little motor it was too.
Thanks B.  Looking at it again, it seems normal now, probably a senior moment on my part, it was my first car,  the split windscreen version, I also seem to remember it was older than me........ &shake&

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #634 on: January 04, 2017, 11:27:45 pm »
my grandson has £250 that was given to him for his birthday at the weekend, i was only telling him today that was what i paid for my first car after i got married, yes it was a black morris 1000. Can,t believe you have posted a photo of the same car. it was in 1964. Good motor in its day.

Offline mull

« Reply #635 on: January 05, 2017, 03:51:15 am »
My first car as well.  1951 ,Black, Split windscreen, 2 door. Great little car.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #636 on: January 05, 2017, 09:41:40 am »
Fame at last !! That's Archie, my OH 's pride and joy. He has had him for about 4 years and .is seen around the area, but only on fine days. Apparently he was talking to some gentlemen yesterday  who translated Morris Minor into Welsh for him. Hugo--- if it was you, can you spell it for him please?
Just for the record he ( Archie) is a 1969 model thus is 48.

I learned to drive in a black model in 1966 !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #637 on: January 05, 2017, 11:18:03 am »
Nice photos H.  It looks a bit unusual, is it because of the 4 doors, I always think of them as 2door cars, maybe M E can clarify.

Very nice car! Available as 2 door, 4 door, van, pick up, Traveller (with the lovely woodwork) and a convertible version too!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SteveH

« Reply #638 on: January 05, 2017, 11:34:19 am »

Very nice car! Available as 2 door, 4 door, van, pick up, Traveller (with the lovely woodwork) and a convertible version too!
Thanks M E,  I also remember the flip up indicators , and hand signals, and an engine I could service myself, I think I have had bigger lawn mower engines since,     ah the good old days

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #639 on: January 05, 2017, 02:18:18 pm »
The Morris Marina took over from the Morris Minor, it retained the same tortious bar front suspension as the Minor and also a 1275cc A series engine (1.8 B series engine also an option). I had several Marinas years ago, much better than their reputation really!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

« Reply #640 on: January 05, 2017, 04:12:19 pm »
Fame at last !! That's Archie, my OH 's pride and joy. He has had him for about 4 years and .is seen around the area, but only on fine days. Apparently he was talking to some gentlemen yesterday  who translated Morris Minor into Welsh for him. Hugo--- if it was you, can you spell it for him please?
Just for the record he ( Archie) is a 1969 model thus is 48.

I learned to drive in a black model in 1966 !

We did see your OH park the car but didn't get a chance to talk to him.  The car is a credit to him and I wish that I had taken a photo of the rear of the car because that chrome exhaust pipe looked very impressive.
Tell him not to park the car on the West Shore on a windy day as the car would get sandblasted and would spoil that perfect paintwork.

The literal translation into Welsh would be:-
Morris  Llai  (smaller) or Morris Lleiaf (smallest)  but if I see your OH in that car again I'll test him on his pronunciation     ;D

If it was my car though,  it would be affectionately called Morris Bach

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #641 on: January 05, 2017, 06:10:33 pm »
I read your comments out to him Hugo and Morris Bach really amused him !

You are welcome to visit him :roll: he seems to get many admirers.

We shall hopefully be attending the Wirral to Llandudno Mini run on Sunday at about 11am on the prom at Rhos, depending on the weather, so I shall be keeping Frizzy company whilst OH discusses cars !

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #642 on: January 08, 2017, 01:28:57 pm »
Archie stayed in the garage as the weather wasn't good, but we went. I have never seen as bigger turn out of Minis in all the years that we have been attending. The yellow Minions one caught my eye !

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #643 on: January 16, 2017, 02:09:06 pm »
When I was in London recently, I was interested to see a number of electric cars plugged into charging points at the pavement. With the advances in battery technology lately, I believe we will start to see a gradual switch to electric cars within as little as the next 5 years.

I fancy the Jaguar E-Pace myself...
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/jaguar-e-pace-compact-suv-will-be-jaguars-first-ev

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #644 on: January 16, 2017, 02:46:02 pm »
The electric car market is really taking off. Although it will be great for anyone who drives fewer than 80 miles per day, for those living further away battery technology still lags behind.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.