Author Topic: Cars  (Read 271424 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Cars
« Reply #525 on: August 12, 2015, 06:23:08 pm »
Came across this old Audi in Deganwy today.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #526 on: August 12, 2015, 08:54:32 pm »
A reg. is that 1963?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #527 on: August 12, 2015, 09:23:17 pm »
It must be as the owner said that it was over 50 years old.   I've seen it before around town but didn't realise that it was an Audi.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #528 on: August 12, 2015, 10:06:11 pm »
I think that was the year they introduced the A reg

Offline DVT

« Reply #529 on: August 13, 2015, 08:56:04 am »
Is it an Audi or an Auto Union?  (Same difference, I know!) - I think it was the German equivalent fo the Jeep.

1963 was the year that A reg was introduced as a suffix.

However, Caernarvonshire County Council - (Caernarvonshire had CC and JC, Denbighshire had CA and UN, Anglesey EY, Flintshire DM and Meirionethshire FF for the north Walian ones) - did not start using the suffix until the following year - so there were no ACC ***A registrations issued for "new" cars - they started with ACC ***B the following year.

Not many authorities actually used the A suffix registrations - my first car was a 1963 Mini but it did not have a suffix letter - PCM 642 registered in Birkenhead (that reg'n would be worth a bit now!)

I think that vehicle is possibly from the 1940's but was registered when brought into this country and given that plate as the actual production date may have been unknown or questionable.  Later, when the letter was a prefix, any "dubious" registrations were given Q registrations.

Think that's right, but will stand corrected!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #530 on: August 13, 2015, 10:05:54 am »
You could well be correct DVT.    the owner spoke to my friend and told him the story about it and I think that he said that it was either built in Holland or a Dutch guy owned it previously.
It's a left hand drive vehicle so it may have been bought  in Holland and given the  A plates when it came over to the UK.
It looked in good nick and has been done up a bit because when I last saw it in Llandudno there was a lot of rust showing on the vehicle.
Whether or not it was an Audi or an Auto Union I don't know the answer to that.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #531 on: August 13, 2015, 10:09:52 am »
1964 Autounion.....
Registration number: ACC 766A
✔ Taxed
Tax due: 01 June 2016
✔ MOT
Expires: 15 June 2016
New keepers must get tax before using the vehicle.
If you have taxed, made a SORN or had a MOT it can take up to 5 days for these details to be shown above.

Vehicle details
Vehicle make AUTOUNION Date of first registration 14 March 1980 Year of manufacture 1964 Cylinder capacity (cc) 1000cc CO₂Emissions Not available Fuel type PETROL Vehicle status Tax not due Vehicle colour GREEN Vehicle type approval Not available Wheelplan 2 AXLE RIGID BODY Revenue weight 3499kg
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DVT

« Reply #532 on: August 13, 2015, 06:55:59 pm »
That makes sense now ... seems it was first registered in the UK in 1980 but could not be given a registration that would make it appear newer than it was - so it had an "A" reg (1963) as it could not be given a "V" reg (March 1980) - must have been registered in Bangor (Caernarvonshire) to get ACC even though they did not use the "A" reg back in 1963.

I was a bit surprised by the small engine size, but in the late 1950's and early 1960's there was an Auto Union 1000 small saloon (also went under the DKW name) so suspect it must have shared a lot of the mechanicals with that production vehicle.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #533 on: August 16, 2015, 03:37:15 pm »
Not many here-----------------Hope for more next time.

For some reason my picture 'cannot be displayed'.... back to facebook !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #534 on: August 19, 2015, 01:51:44 pm »
Came across this Morris Minor in Porthmadog

Offline Hugo

« Reply #535 on: September 20, 2015, 05:50:58 pm »
A nice Alpha Romeo in Barmouth yesterday

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #536 on: October 07, 2015, 02:41:29 pm »
Which? asked car manufacturers if they'd ever used devices or software to manipulate emissions data:

"BMW

‘The BMW Group does not manipulate or rig any emissions tests. We observe the legal requirements in each country and fulfill all local testing requirements.

‘We support the swift introduction of new regulations in Europe and beyond to ensure clarity, not only for consumers but also for the automotive industry.’
Daimler (Mercedes-Benz)

‘We categorically deny the accusation of manipulating emission tests regarding our vehicles. A defeat device, a function which illegitimately reduces emissions during testing, has never been and will never be used at Daimler.’

‘Mercedes-Benz emphatically supports the introduction of the WLTP (Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicles Test Procedure).  This procedure is designed to supersede the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC), with the goal of bringing standardised and real-world consumption closer together.’
Ford

‘All Ford vehicles meet all applicable emissions requirements and do not have a so-called “defeat device”.

‘All our vehicles in Europe undergo emissions tests witnessed by the Type approval authorities and their technical services. We conduct all emission tests fully in line with regulations.’
Honda

‘Honda conducts business with a spirit, belief and commitment to abide by all laws and regulations without exception. Honda does not use any illegal software or defeat device.

‘A number of European authorities have recently proposed additional testing as a means to check for defeat devices, including potential on-road, real world testing. Honda supports this additional testing in order to help strengthen regulatory and consumer confidence.’
Hyundai

‘We confirm that none of our vehicles are fitted with any type of software intended to manipulate regulatory emissions tests results.

‘Hyundai Motor abides by the testing regulations and methods of each region where it sells cars including Europe.’
Jaguar Land Rover

Jaguar Land Rover does not use any emissions “defeat” devices or software.’
Kia Motors

Kia Motors confirm that none of its vehicles are fitted any type of software intended to manipulate regulatory emissions tests results. Kia Motors abides by the testing regulations and methods of each region where it sells cars - including Europe.’
Mazda

‘In compliance with the law, Mazda works hard to ensure that every petrol and diesel engine it makes fully complies with the regulations of the countries in which they are sold. Mazda never uses illegal software or defeat devices. Customers can rest assured that their car is fully compliant with all regulations.’
Mitsubishi

‘Every gasoline and diesel engine that Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) manufactures fully complies with the regulations of the country in which it is sold.

MMC has never used software or other methods to illegitimately reduce emissions during testing in the gasoline engines, diesel engines, or plug-in hybrid systems which it develops. Our customers can rest assured that their vehicles fully comply with all applicable regulations.’
Nissan

‘We can state unequivocally that we are committed to upholding the law and meeting regulations in all markets where we do business worldwide.

‘We can also confirm that Nissan does not employ ‘defeat devices’ in our products and complies with homologation procedures in all countries where it operates.’
PSA Peugeot Citroën

‘We respect the test procedures in place in all countries where we operate and our vehicles have never been fitted with software or systems to switch engines to a cleaner mode during emissions testing than in real driving conditions.’
Renault

‘Renault complies with all regulations and legislation for the markets in which it operates.

‘Our vehicles are not equipped with ‘defeat devices’ designed to alter the results of regulatory emissions tests.

‘Renault Group supports the implementation of European homologation tests representative of real conditions (Real Driving Emissions) which will better reflect laboratory test cycles.’
Suzuki

‘Suzuki Motor Corporation would like to confirm that none of its vehicles are fitted with any type of software or ‘defeat devices’ to manipulate regulatory emissions testing results.

‘Suzuki Motor Corporation abides with the correct procedures and testing regulations relating to emissions and Suzuki GB PLC would like to firmly reassure its customers and dealers of this.’
Toyota

‘We confirm that no Toyota or Lexus models employ any kind of “defeat device” or “defeat strategy” intended to reduce the effectiveness of the emission control equipment.

‘We can also confirm that our emission control devices and strategies operate in exactly the same manner, regardless of whether our vehicles are being tested on a chassis dynamometer or driven on the road.’
Vauxhall

‘General Motors designed software has no features that detect that a vehicle is undergoing emission test cycles. GM of course includes Opel and Vauxhall.

‘We would emphasise that GM has processes in place to proactively ensure robust emission compliance.

‘We know that there is a lot of discussion about moving from the current emissions testing to new, more stringent consumption tests (World Light Vehicle Test Procedure) and exhaust measurements on the roads (Real-world Driving Emissions regulation) to reduce the differences between the test bench and the roads in the future. We are an active participant here on all discussion levels and once the new regulations are in place, we will of course comply.’
Volvo

‘Volvo Cars never has and never will fit any device to its cars that manipulates emission test results. Volvo engines have the same settings no matter whether they are being tested or in everyday use.

‘Volvo Cars believes the current testing regime for emission by diesel cars provides an industry standard that allows comparisons to be made between cars. That said, in partnership with the rest of the automotive industry, Volvo is working towards the design and implementation of new emission tests that better reflect everyday driving conditions.’"
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #537 on: October 08, 2015, 02:40:39 pm »
Ian, that's very useful and most interesting, and you can call me pedantic if you wish, but if I remember correctly, you are not enamoured by Which?.......
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #538 on: October 08, 2015, 05:40:30 pm »
Ian, that's very useful and most interesting, and you can call me pedantic if you wish, but if I remember correctly, you are not enamoured by Which?.......

I'm sure if you'd asked VW the same question a few months ago they would have denied it too!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #539 on: October 08, 2015, 07:31:38 pm »

I'm sure if you'd asked VW the same question a few months ago they would have denied it too!

A very astute observation with which I categorically agree, especially as the VW hierarchy are now desperately trying to distance themselves from the debacle. However, each car manufacturer knows exactly to the last micron what the others manufactures are developing and producing and I have no doubt whatsoever that this defeat device has been known about in the car manufacturing industry since inception.

Time 'will out'......
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.