Author Topic: Cars  (Read 271950 times)

Offline DVT

• Management board member
Re: Cars
« Reply #510 on: June 10, 2015, 01:09:59 pm »
Having spent a load of money replacing things on my last car (of Spanish manufacturer but from the VAG stable) I decided to spend on a new car instead.  Decided what I wanted and asked a number of owners what they thought - even it meant approaching someone completely unknown to me - not one bad word about the make/model I had my eyes on.

There is a local dealer, so I paid them a visit earlier this year.  Treated extremely well, got the price I wanted on part-exchange, tried out both diesel and petrol versions, and made my decision.  Took a few days to find the exact spec I was after, car was handed over with 9 miles on the clock and a full tank of fuel.  I don't suppose I'm allowed to say which dealer but the car is built in the UK and the dealer is in Llandudno.

Best advice I can give is to draw up a short list and speak to owners!  Don't go on reviews - Jermy Clarkson is quite scathing about the car I've bought, yet they were raced successfully in the British Championship last year!!!

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #511 on: June 10, 2015, 02:05:51 pm »
Having spent a load of money replacing things on my last car (of Spanish manufacturer but from the VAG stable) I decided to spend on a new car instead.  Decided what I wanted and asked a number of owners what they thought - even it meant approaching someone completely unknown to me - not one bad word about the make/model I had my eyes on.

There is a local dealer, so I paid them a visit earlier this year.  Treated extremely well, got the price I wanted on part-exchange, tried out both diesel and petrol versions, and made my decision.  Took a few days to find the exact spec I was after, car was handed over with 9 miles on the clock and a full tank of fuel.  I don't suppose I'm allowed to say which dealer but the car is built in the UK and the dealer is in Llandudno.

Best advice I can give is to draw up a short list and speak to owners!  Don't go on reviews - Jermy Clarkson is quite scathing about the car I've bought, yet they were raced successfully in the British Championship last year!!!

You've named the ones that didn't impress you, I see no reason not to name the one that did.
Are they still a Honda dealer? They also used to be a VW certified service centre so I had a service carried out there and they gave me a loan of a Civic. The dash was like the starship enterprise and the rear had a ruddy great big spoiler across the rear window blocking most of the view! You had to rag it a bit to get the best of the V-tech engine, completely alien to me after years of driving Passat diesels!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #512 on: June 10, 2015, 04:22:07 pm »
I don't suppose I'm allowed to say which dealer but the car is built in the UK and the dealer is in Llandudno.

You certainly are allowed to heap praise on local dealers.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #513 on: June 10, 2015, 05:10:05 pm »
Best advice I can give is to draw up a short list and speak to owners!  Don't go on reviews .....

No, really? Isn't that a bit boring when you could purchase at random?

And of course, anyone who has spent their hard earned cash on a car is obviously going to admit that they have brought a 'pup' and car reviews and test reports by professionals are rubbish and should be avoided............. never read What-Car or Which what ever you do.

Yea... right. 
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #514 on: June 10, 2015, 07:34:11 pm »
I look at reviews be for buying a car, or other items, then look at the customers feedback, but in the end make my own mind up. I have found that when you look at reviews nothing is perfect!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DVT

« Reply #515 on: June 10, 2015, 07:40:12 pm »
Yes, I bought a Honda from North Wales Honda, 10/10 for them.

... yes, they are still a VW certified service centre.  My SEAT Leon was in there early last year and they lent me a 1.6 diesel Civic saloon.  Like SDQ I didn't like the rear spoiler but it had the rear camera to overcome reversing difficulties.  Last summer I had the use of the 1.8 petrol Tourer, covered 600 miles in it.  Later in the year I had the use of the 1.6 diesel Tourer which impressed me more than the petrol version.  So I have bought a 1.6 diesel Tourer - no rear spoiler to block your rear vision, dashboard is a bit like a spaceship, has a rear camera and parking sensors and does 60mpg, and no road tax!

My previous car, 2-litre diesel SEAT Leon had a little more power, but not much, but over 18 months cost me in excess of £4000 - dual mass flywheel, fuel injectors, rear hub bearings, brake discs and pads, cambelt (precautionary change) and the attitude of SEAT customer care was enough to put anyone off.  That work was done by SEAT Menai Bridge, the cambelt by the new SEAT garage in the Junction (same group). Flywheel and injectors were the subject of VW recalls or free replacement a few years ago - SEAT contributed a bit towards the flywheel but reckoned that the injector issue was only on VW 140TDi engines, not on the SEAT ones, despite the fact that the engine in my car clearly stated Volkswagen across the top of it!

... surely if you're buying a new car (and my latest purchase is my first brand new car) then you (should) have an idea of what spec you want, so a short list drawn up and find out what other owners think of them seems a logical thing to do!  My requirements were reliability, cost effectiveness (both on fuel and maintenance), comfort, a bit sporty and slightly out of the ordinary.  What I bought fits the bill, the other two on my shortlist were Hyundai i40 and the KIA C'eed, didn't drive either but the latter failed on having a stupid name!!!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #516 on: June 11, 2015, 07:08:43 am »
never read What-Car or Which what ever you do.

I find reviews in both magazines to be less than reliable overall. The commercial What-Car is bound to be influenced by its need to remain in business, while the quality of Which? reports is not what it once was, I'm sad to say. Which?'s strength, however, is that their annual car report is compiled largely from stats garnered from their subscribers, and the questionnaire they issue has been largely unchanged for years.

I suspect there are only two things most owners want to know: how much will the car cost to run, which includes its purchase price, insurance group, deterioration potential and fuel consumption. and the second is how nice it is to drive.  The first you can get from any car magazine within reason, and the second has to be personal experience.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #517 on: June 13, 2015, 11:37:23 am »
Going through old photos I found this picture of a 1909 Siddley outside the The Bala Moter Co. Garage...

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #518 on: June 21, 2015, 02:28:38 pm »
Just been talking to some people on The prom near the Cayley in Rhos who are trying to start a meeting on the 3rd Sunday in every month for car enthusiasts, there, on the prom.,  10am till whenever. All welcome.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #519 on: June 22, 2015, 04:38:37 pm »
Now, some, if slight, progress. Mrs B and I have test driven the Jaguar XF and are most impressed, but this starts the dilemma: do we wait for the new one in September, because the current one is certainly very acceptable and there will obviously be 'end of line' deals to be had - or do we wait for the new model...... and the new price, to keep up to date with technology...?

It's a fact that people spend more time deciding on their next car purchase than on their next house purchase.

The joy of being a petrolhead....

Anyone got an XF?
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #520 on: July 02, 2015, 11:30:02 am »
To confuse matters, have seen the new Jaguar XE in the showroom that seems rather superb in all respects; styling, quality and 'feel', that indefinable thing that makes you like (or dislike) something. Must arrange a test drive......

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #521 on: July 30, 2015, 08:57:14 am »
Well, have now test driven the XE, excellent car, very well put together and delightful to drive if slightly smaller than the XF. As the new XF is due out in September it's sensible to wait to see what that's like....

The only frightening thing is the cost.... four times the cost of the first property I brought....

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #522 on: July 30, 2015, 09:11:17 am »
The only frightening thing is the cost.... four times the cost of the first property I brought....
You know you want one!  :D

Offline hollins

« Reply #523 on: July 30, 2015, 05:15:48 pm »
I thought this one might be of interest. A brave owner parking it in an Asda car park. It was in immaculate condition.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #524 on: July 30, 2015, 05:31:15 pm »
Austin (Nash) Metropolitan 1953 - 1961. Lovely.