Author Topic: Cars  (Read 271432 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Cars
« Reply #420 on: October 03, 2014, 12:35:28 pm »
OK so we do not now have to display a tax disc.

So a few (or many) more people will clone the plate of a car that is taxed and insured, or maybe own two identical cars which they can put the same plates on, one taxed one not. ;D

What about incorrectly spaced letters and numbers or non regulation type face?  The ANPR camera can't register  their offence. :D

Seems like a lot more work for the Bobby on the beat! ZXZ

You're spot on Yorkie, it's a cost cutting exercise with a high level of risk and it'll be left to the Bobby to sort out.    I often see incorrectly spaced letters on number plates and have also seen the same reg number on two different vehicles owned by the same person.  Now that's not just an offence, it's illegal to do so.
Like I've said already,  if anyone wants to check if a car is taxed or MOT'D all you need to do is put "car tax checker" into Google and then follow the link

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #421 on: October 03, 2014, 12:42:49 pm »
My Son actually has two cars, same make, same model, only a different colour which ANPR cannot tell.  He is honest!

Even before the latest news he had his number plate cloned by someone living London and received a multitude of PFN's for the Congestion Charge.  It took him ages to get them removed after having to provide detailed work schedules and overseas expense receipts.
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #422 on: October 04, 2014, 01:48:05 pm »
Top Gear crew 'chased by thousands and ordered out of country'

Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson has claimed he was thrown out of Argentina by state officials after being pelted with rocks.
He said in a tweet that "thousands" of locals rounded on the Top Gear team in apparent protest at a number plate which appeared to refer to the 1982 Falklands war.
"There were hundreds of them. They were hurling rocks and bricks at our cars. They were trying to attack us with pickaxe handles.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29488770

Offline SteveH

« Reply #423 on: October 06, 2014, 01:56:53 pm »
Old story, but just a reminder in this new technological age..

Driving licence fines threaten two million drivers
"There are quite a few things that drivers can be innocently get caught up in. For example, they may have insured their car, but their details may not appear on the Motor Insurance Database,"
"These are usually valid for 10 years and there is a legal requirement for drivers to renew the photograph at the same time as they renew their licence."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20968886

Offline SteveH

Re: Cars Formula 1 Russian GP.
« Reply #424 on: October 12, 2014, 06:48:41 pm »
Britain's Lewis Hamilton dominated the Russian Grand Prix to take his ninth win of the year, his fourth in a row, and extend his championship lead.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29542993

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #425 on: October 12, 2014, 07:36:02 pm »
Yeh, I watched most of it, thrilling race and looks like a very testing circuit. 

^*^0 ^*^0 ^*^0
Cicero

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #426 on: October 12, 2014, 08:44:22 pm »
is this not for the sport thread?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #427 on: October 13, 2014, 07:19:06 am »

NO!  Just acknowledging another Members post.

On its own my post would have not had any sensible meaning in the section you suggest, but as it was, it formed a useful adjunct to the post from SteveH.   N'est pas?   ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #428 on: October 13, 2014, 08:33:31 am »

Threads occur within topics.  This is the Cars topic so it could be argued that it's fairly natural to have a sport associated thread within it.  I appreciate it's not that easy to fathom, but the setup of the forum itself is this:

Categories / boards / topics / threads

So we have the first category - Forum Central
In Forum Central we have the following boards: Welcome, The Three towns forum
In the Welcome Board we have the following topics:Welcome, FAQs, Please read this first
Within each topic there are multiple threads.

When we were first creating the forum we had to try to anticipate what people would want to discuss and debate. In theory, you could have just one topic to discuss everything, but navigation of the site would prove almost impossible, given the numbers of members and postings.

There's also the factor that we have to try to make it reasonably comprehensible for new members, so they can find what's happening fairly quickly and easily.  That's the main reason I 'housekeep' and merge topics. The only board on which I don't usually merge topics is Genealogy and Research , really because the topics in there are normally very specific.

It's also fairly normal for conversations to drift off subject, and it's only when the drift becomes almost a new topic that I will edit that topic and merge posts into another topic.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #429 on: October 13, 2014, 10:45:05 am »
I think I saw a Morgan like this in town yesterday, not sure if original, but looked and sounded great, anybody confirm.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #430 on: October 13, 2014, 10:03:07 pm »
Thanks for that Ian, I just put that in to wind Yorkie up but he,s to long in the tooth to take the bate.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #431 on: October 14, 2014, 07:03:37 am »
 WWW  I just enjoy the chance to tell people how the place is organised  WWW
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #432 on: October 15, 2014, 10:25:44 am »
FAULTY TOYOTAS: Toyota has recalled almost 10,000 Lexus vehicles across the UK to fix faulty fuel delivery pipes.
The car manufacturer said the problem caused a risk of fuel leaks and is part of a worldwide recall of 759,000 vehicles.
Some 9,637 UK-registered Lexus cars are affected, which were manufactured between January 2005 and September 2010.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #433 on: October 16, 2014, 10:37:26 am »
Citizens Advice warning over legal logbook loans
Under current laws a logbook loan is attached to the vehicle, not the person who has taken out the credit.
"I've gone and paid for a car and I'm now being told it's not mine."
The car wasn't his because the previous owner had taken out a logbook loan, which allows drivers to borrow money against the value of their vehicle.
There are different types of vehicle history checks you can make. Some are cheaper than others and don't always pick up on all types of finance.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/29638238

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #434 on: October 19, 2014, 07:57:01 am »
Saw this beauty in Germany recently. It was the most gorgeous pale blue colour that doesn't really show that well in my photos. It was in immaculate condition.