Author Topic: Cars  (Read 271963 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: Cars
« Reply #180 on: September 10, 2013, 09:03:09 pm »
I'm sure lots of us remember the old Wolseley Police cars, with the very loud outside bell, and of course, the Citroen 2 CV!    :D

I remember the police cars in the Dixon of Dock Green episodes.

The Citroen 2 CV?  ???

In 1981 a bright yellow 2CV was driven by James Bond in the film For Your Eyes Only, including an elaborate set piece car chase through a Spanish olive farm, in which Bond uses the unique abilities of the modestly powered 2CV to escape his pursuers in Peugeot 504 sedans. The car in the film was fitted with the flat-4 engine from a Citroën GS for slightly more power.[18] Citroën launched a special edition 2CV "007" to coincide with the 2CV product placement in the film, it was fitted with the standard flat-2 engine, painted in yellow with "007" on the front doors and fake bullet hole stickers. This car was also popular in miniature, from Corgi Toys.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #181 on: September 10, 2013, 09:08:50 pm »
I noticed in the film clips the gaping holes where the starting handle went!  When did starting handles become extinct?

;D

I'm not sure.  ?{}?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1f/Chry_1.5OSGR_Starter.ogg

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #182 on: September 10, 2013, 09:39:21 pm »
I had a 71 Range Rover 3.5 lt V8, with a starting handle, also a 79 Citroen 2CV with a handle! Plus many older ones!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #183 on: September 10, 2013, 09:40:31 pm »
OMG the Citroen 2CV !! I had my beloved Dolly ( Green and White) for a number of years with it's funny gears and shovel handle handbrake. The roof rolled back and I had a friend who was petrified to ride in it as it rolled  on roundabouts. I have to admit I used to stick my foot down just to scare her !!
I had to teach my daughter how to drive it as the gears and handbrake were so different and vividly remember rolling back down a hill whilst she got to grips with a hill start.
If you can drive one of those-- you can drive anything !!

It had a place for a starting handle, but I didn't actually have the handle itself !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #184 on: September 10, 2013, 09:44:58 pm »
The handle was also the wheel brace and would undo the nuts holding the wings on! We thought it was a very clever car the 2CV!

Offline Trojan

« Reply #185 on: September 10, 2013, 09:50:28 pm »
I had a 71 Range Rover 3.5 lt V8, with a starting handle, also a 79 Citroen 2CV with a handle! Plus many older ones!

Must have been tough turning a V8 with a handle?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #186 on: September 11, 2013, 06:33:46 am »
Extremely! I remember trying to turn it over, but I never tried to start it! However once it would not start and I was away from home so called the AA out, looked like a faulty starter motor . The AA man did start it using the handle!  :o. After he had gone I remembered a previous owner had fitted a hidden security switch near the driver's feet, I must have accidentally switched it when getting out! It isolated the starter motor...... :laugh:

Offline Trojan

« Reply #187 on: September 11, 2013, 06:37:13 am »
Back in 1972 we had a Bedford Beagle van which was  Vauxhall Viva based.

My Grandad, who was a self employed builder/plasterer/carpenter had a red Bedford similar to this, which was also Vauxhall Viva based. He made a wooden bench seat in the back, where myself, sister and cousins used to sit on excursions around the locality on his days off.

I always seemed to get Portland Cement dust on my trousers whenever I sat there.

My Dad used to borrow it, and take me "logging" to Gwydyr Forest. It was amazing the amount of logs we fitted in the back and they supplemented the coal from Davy the coal-man just nicely. The only trouble with the logs is when they burned they tended to pop and explode on occasion sending glowing embers flying out onto the fireside rug, leaving black scorch marks.   

Offline Trojan

« Reply #188 on: September 11, 2013, 06:38:46 am »
Extremely! I remember trying to turn it over, but I never tried to start it! However once it would not start and I was away from home so called the AA out, looked like a faulty starter motor . The AA man did start it using the handle!  :o. After he had gone I remembered a previous owner had fitted a hidden security switch near the driver's feet, I must have accidentally switched it when getting out! It isolated the starter motor...... :laugh:

:-}}} :laugh:

Offline Tosh

« Reply #189 on: September 11, 2013, 08:13:57 am »
The starting handles went when the transverse engine came in I think, you couldn't fit the handle through the nearside front wheel.
Duh.
My A55 van had a handle and on cold frosty mornings, 3 turns on the handle, turn the key, pull the starter and off she went.
I think we might like this, it is topical.
Five blokes in an Audi Quattro arrived at the ferry checkpoint in Harwich, Essex.

Tracey, in her brand new uniform, stops them and tells them: "I can't let you on the ferry. It is illegal to have 5 people in a Quattro. Quattro means four. One of you will have to get out and stay behind."

"Quattro is just the name of the car," the driver replies disbelievingly. "Look at the papers: this car is designed to carry five persons."

"You cannot pull that one on me. This is Tracey you're talking to here," she replies with a smile. "Quattro means four. You have five people in your car and you are therefore breaking the law. So I can't let you onto the ferry. It's more than my job's worth to let you all on."

The driver is now very cross and replies angrily, "I've had enough of you. Call your supervisor over. I want to speak to someone with more intelligence!"

"Sorry," responds Tracey, "but Sharon is busy dealing with the two blokes in the Fiat Uno".

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #190 on: September 11, 2013, 11:33:14 am »
Used to have a 1951 Morris Minor with a starting handle. Great on a frosty morning 2/3 turns with the handle, jump in the car and started right away with the ignition key.
Only problem with the early Morris Minors was the ball joint on the front wheels would suddenly collapse usually on a busy road junction.
A good car ,many happy memories.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #191 on: September 11, 2013, 01:19:00 pm »
            When I worked in Red Garages as an apprentice in the 60's, I used to work on some wonderfully named vehicles, such as the Humber Hawk, Snipe and Super Snipe, Imperial and Sceptre, the Singer Gazelle and Chamois, the Hillman Minx, Husky, Super Minx, Avenger, Imp and Californian, Sunbeam Rapier and Alpine (and the Ford engined V8 Sunbeam Tiger), all of which were under the Rootes Group which later became Chrysler before being lost altogether. I remember going to Rootes Coventry Factory to pick up some spares and seeing the prototype Imp (which was code-named the "Rootes Baby") before it was released to the press. When my mates back at Red's asked what it looked like I said it had a rear-engine and gearbox unit with a Coventry Climax designed engine (which was positioned on its side and you could remove in half an hour!) and had a rear window like an Austin A40 Farina. They thought I was hallucinating but later apologised when it was released. My mother had a Super Imp for many years and had no trouble and my second car (after a 1946 Austin 10 which cost £5) was a Hillman Husky (circa 1957 with a side-valve engine) which was a great little motor at the time, and in later years a Minivan, a Cortina and an Avenger before settling on various Fords ever since.

Offline Tosh

« Reply #192 on: September 11, 2013, 03:01:53 pm »
Early 1960s, a little Daf which was belt driven.
The Messerschmidt and Heinkel Bubble cars.
The Simca which was very similar to the Hillman Imp.
It's all coming back to me now, unfortunately. ;D

Offline Trojan

« Reply #193 on: September 11, 2013, 07:24:45 pm »
"Sorry," responds Tracey, "but Sharon is busy dealing with the two blokes in the Fiat Uno".

:laugh: Reminds me of the geezer pulled over on the M6 for driving an A55. Officer told him he should be in North Wales.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #194 on: September 11, 2013, 07:27:11 pm »
Heinkel Bubble cars.

:)

I remember these also. Run into something at speed and you would break both your feet, and probably your legs too.