Author Topic: Cars  (Read 278271 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Cars
« Reply #990 on: July 08, 2021, 01:09:59 pm »
Yes, but to an extent. Nothing quite as bad as the processes used in petrol refineries, however.

Only the heater / air con will affect an EV range. The 12v battery operates all the other bits - demisters, LED headlamps and wipers.

Someone on another forum pointed out that the EV is still in its infancy.  The cost, range issues and charging will be sorted out, but when you realise that the EV is really in the equivalent of 1912 with regard to petrol vehicles, which have enjoyed more than a century of development, it's  very easy to see jjust how good they are already, and realise just how good they will become.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #991 on: July 08, 2021, 02:12:32 pm »
EV's are the future and there can be no turning back on this, but with 37 million vehicles registered in the UK someone will make a fortune installing power points for them all

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #992 on: July 08, 2021, 03:24:47 pm »
With this talk of EV's , I searched for more information, and came across a couple of links, which I found informative............

How long do electric car batteries last?   Published: 22 March 2021
cont    https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/electric/how-long-do-electric-car-batteries-last/

Electric car battery replacement cost............
When it comes to replacing an electric vehicle battery, you need not be too concerned as many manufacturers provide a warranty of up to 8 years or 100,000 miles. Meaning that even if you did need to replace it in an unfortunate event that something did go wrong, then it could well be covered under this warranty. Remember to always check the type of warranty offered by your chosen electric car manufacturer.

Also, the cost of batteries fell about 80% between 2010 and 2016 according to McKinsey, from $1000 to $227/kWh. Therefore, a new 40kWh battery in 2016 would have cost just shy of £10,000. Some predictions estimate that prices are set to fall below $100/kWh by 2030, around the same time as the government are aiming for 50% of all new vehicles sold in the UK will be electric.

cont  https://www.edfenergy.com/electric-cars/batteries

Offline DVT

« Reply #993 on: July 08, 2021, 09:17:31 pm »
Whilst I agree that an alternative fuel is needed I wonder how long it will take for everyone to be driving around in electric vehicles.  Who really expects everyone to get rid of their petrol/diesel cars and buy new ... totally impractical.  That is apart from the impracticalities of every home having a car (or more than one) plugged into the electric supply at night, or trying to find sockets in the likes of ASDA car park (other supermarkets are available).  Parking in Mostyn Street with leads trailing to the charging points, pedestrians falling over the cables.  I sometimes wonder just how well people think things through!

My own car is on lease and due for renewal later this year - I could easily change to a hybrid but instead I will be keeping the car.  I suspect it will be more fun to keep driving my Honda Civic Type R (over 30mpg and only takes a couple of minutes to fill the tank, range is about 320 miles) rather than go for a hybrid Honda, which are very good cars.

My two kids and their partners all have cars that are over 10 years old, and could not afford to buy new.  In a few years time how practical would it be to buy a used EV - I suspect the potential cost of replacing batteries and probably other items could make it very costly.

You also have to bear in mind that there are still cars on the road that are over 100 years old, just look at the annual London to Brighton entry.

... and this car was seen in Bodnant car park today ... it is a 1934 Talbot - 2996cc.  My next posting will be another car in the car park today - not all it seems but 4200cc so a bit of a juice-guzzler I suspect!

Offline DVT

« Reply #994 on: July 08, 2021, 09:22:08 pm »
... here's the other "old" car seen in Bodnant today ... couldn't get a front picture as it was nosed into the hedge! 

But it wasn't a Bugatti front, despite the Royal badge on the boot lid.  Flat grille.

DVLA site gives it as a Royale Drophead ... first registered in 1980 and 4200cc - suspect a Jaguar engine.

Still over 40 years old though.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #995 on: July 09, 2021, 08:38:04 am »
Whilst I agree that an alternative fuel is needed I wonder how long it will take for everyone to be driving around in electric vehicles.  Who really expects everyone to get rid of their petrol/diesel cars and buy new ... totally impractical.

I agree. But currently, there's almost no second hand market for EVs. As that starts to appear I suspect prices will fall.

That is apart from the impracticalities of every home having a car (or more than one) plugged into the electric supply at night, or trying to find sockets in the likes of ASDA car park (other supermarkets are available).  Parking in Mostyn Street with leads trailing to the charging points, pedestrians falling over the cables.  I sometimes wonder just how well people think things through!

When we first had an electric PHEV a charge point was installed free of charge. Whether that still happens I don't know.

My own car is on lease and due for renewal later this year - I could easily change to a hybrid but instead I will be keeping the car.  I suspect it will be more fun to keep driving my Honda Civic Type R (over 30mpg and only takes a couple of minutes to fill the tank, range is about 320 miles) rather than go for a hybrid Honda, which are very good cars.

an EV costs around 2p per mile to fuel. A quick back of the envelope calculation shows yur car costs around 73p a mile to fuel.

I suspect the potential cost of replacing batteries and probably other items could make it very costly.

Battery costs have plummeted since 2010 and with new, giga-battery plants starting to appear, they'll probably fall  further. But early  signs are that they're lasting far longer that anticipated.

But you're spot on regarding the problems facing those who have no off-street parking.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #996 on: July 09, 2021, 08:46:45 am »
We fully agree there DVT. The idea of cables snaking across pavements is a very good point, not everyone has the luxury of their own drive or parking area, nor can everyone park right outside their property. My neighbour is leading a protest to stop building on Maelgwyn car park, this area is bad enough with people dumping their cars here for days on end.Just as an aside, last week we had a car parked opposite which had been left with a rear window 3/4 open and it rained heavily. Obviously they were staying away from where they had left it, so anyone needing the space to recharge their car would have been scuppered.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #997 on: July 09, 2021, 09:58:40 am »
Obviously they were staying away from where they had left it, so anyone needing the space to recharge their car would have been scuppered.

That's a problem for EV owners. It's not unheard of to find hybrids plugged in for half a day, when they only take 45 minutes to charge.

There are a lot of issues that will need to be sorted out, and the pavement parking is probably the greatest obstacle.

Offline DVT

« Reply #998 on: July 09, 2021, 10:08:40 am »
an EV costs around 2p per mile to fuel. A quick back of the envelope calculation shows yur car costs around 73p a mile to fuel.

Ian, I think you calculations are a little bit out!

The Type R was bought (lease) in December 2018 and has only done 15828 miles.  I filled up yesterday which brought my total fuel bill to £2908 - that equates to 18..4p per mile.

Fuel yesterday was 133.9p per litre, which is £6.04 per gallon - the car is showing 33.7mpg but in reality is 31.6.

Insurance is £258 so that's less than 3p per mile based on 10k annual mileage.  The big (and only) expense I have had is £850 for a set of tyres that were changed at 11000 miles (I was told they normally last between 8 and 9k!) ... so that's another 8.5p per mile.  Tax is £150 (1.5p per mile)

So, fuel, tax, insurance and tyres totals just over 30p per mile !  That does not include depreciation of course.

... and another plus point is if I return home and it's chucking it down with rain - I don't have to get soaked fiddling about connecting the car to the supply!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #999 on: July 09, 2021, 10:55:44 am »
 $drink$

Oops; you're quite right.  I used figures from the AA which included depreciation. Grovelling apologies. Still. my 2p per mile compares with  your 18..4p per mile rather nicely. But the initial cost of an EV render it expensive for many, I think.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1000 on: July 11, 2021, 09:54:13 am »
How to renew drivers’ licences, why DVLA is taking so long and can you still drive while waiting
With licence renewals taking up to 10 weeks - sometimes longer - here's some advice on how to apply and what happens if your application is delayed

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/how-renew-drivers-licences-dvla-21019710

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1001 on: July 11, 2021, 03:22:54 pm »
Perhaps this is an alternative to the electric car?
All-New NEXO
Introducing the next generation of fuel cell vehicles: All-New NEXO.

https://www.hyundai.co.uk/new-cars/nexo/faq

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1002 on: July 30, 2021, 09:56:21 am »
Brexit ?

The loss of Honda in Swindon is not just bad news for the 3,000 people who work there, but will send ripples out through the local economy, with about 1,800 jobs ending at two local firms that supply the plant. As 35 years of manufacturing history comes to an end, staff have been sharing their feelings about the end of an era.

For workers like Michael Poole the announcement, in February 2019, that Honda was to close the Swindon plant was "a huge shock".

He was a year into an apprenticeship and was in a training session when his team leader came in with the news.

"I felt like I'd got my foot on a ladder of a career I was really interested in, so it knocked us for six really.

"There were tears, from people you don't normally see cry. We were just left swinging in the breeze."

Friday 30 July 2021 was set as the last official day of car production, and the last day of most workers' contracts.

cont https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-57987601

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1003 on: July 31, 2021, 09:45:50 am »
Experts have warned drivers about new driving laws that have come into force during lockdown that could land drivers in trouble if they’re caught out by them.

Motoring experts at insurance provider ‘Confused.com’ warn drivers could land penalty points on their licence, huge fines, and in some cases even a driving ban.

Changes range from stricter rules around wearing your seatbelts, and using your mobile phones to speed limit changes on residential roads.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/10-new-motoring-laws-you-21184727

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1004 on: August 03, 2021, 10:16:34 am »
This was sent to me this morning, an oldie but a goodie........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k1tbf8muMc