Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Cars
« Reply #885 on: January 30, 2020, 11:08:55 am »

Offline SteveH

« Reply #886 on: January 31, 2020, 10:41:18 am »
Struggling luxury UK carmaker Aston Martin has announced plans to raise emergency funding worth £500m.

A consortium led by billionaire Lawrence Stroll will put in £182m, with the rest of the money coming from existing investors.

Mr Stroll partly owns the Racing Point Formula 1 team, which will be branded Aston Martin from 2021 under the deal.

The move comes hours after a board meeting held to discuss how to prop up the ailing firm.

cont  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51323241

Offline SteveH

« Reply #887 on: February 05, 2020, 02:48:06 pm »
Asda and Sainsbury's have cut the price of petrol and diesel for the second time in a week.     ref DP

Asda has today taken 4p per litre off diesel and 2p per litre off petrol at its 322 fuel stations around the UK.

This will mean any driver filling up at any Asda filling station will pay no more than 118.7p per litre on unleaded and 120.7p per litre on diesel

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #888 on: February 05, 2020, 05:39:46 pm »
DVT    I think that you will be the person best to ask this question.      My friend Tellytubby and I were out today and we were talking about Mike Hinde the rally driver, who once had a car showroom in Dyserth
We had a friendly argument about what car Mike drove in his Rally days, I said that he drove a Skoda but Tellytubby said that it was a Saab

Now I've had a look through the North Wales Car Club website and Mike was mentioned a few times and he had driven a number of different cars but Skoda and Saab weren't mentioned

Do you know if he ever drove Saabs or/and Skodas?        When I lived in Dyserth I thought that he was a Skoda dealer but my memory may be playing tricks on me

Offline Hugo

« Reply #889 on: February 06, 2020, 10:37:06 am »
A friend sent me some details about Mike Hinde and he did as I first thought drive Skodas during his rally days along with other makes of cars and his garage/showroom sold Skoda cars
I couldn't however find out if he ever competed in Saabs

Offline DVT

« Reply #890 on: February 06, 2020, 04:52:59 pm »
Now there's a name from the past - Mike Hinde - still with us but living in Cornwall and not too mobile these days.

I don;t recall him driving a SAAB but he was extremely successful in Skoda's, and won his class on the RAC Rally as in the picture, this started a run of many years of Skoda wins.

I have photos of him in various cars - including Peugeot 104, Volkswagen Beetle, MG TF, SIMCA Aronde, Clan Crusader, SIMCA 1100, Hillman Imp, SIMCA 1000, Dodge (!), Skoda Octavia, Peugeot 504, Ford Popular, Talbot Sunbeam-Lotus, Panther Lima.

Here are a few!

Offline DVT

« Reply #891 on: February 06, 2020, 04:54:34 pm »
... some more!

Offline DVT

« Reply #892 on: February 06, 2020, 04:58:17 pm »
... and more:

Offline Hugo

« Reply #893 on: February 06, 2020, 05:21:36 pm »
Thank you very much for going to all that trouble DVT  it's really appreciated.       $good$

The photos of the cars were great and that Clan Crusader was an unusual looking motor, I think that I've only ever seen a few of them about.
I used to walk my dog past Mike's garage in Dyserth and stop and look at the Skoda's there.    At the time Skodas had a bad press but I thought then that it wasn't justified as Mike was winning so many competitions in that make of car

Offline DVT

« Reply #894 on: February 06, 2020, 09:48:13 pm »
Mike lent me those photos to scan some years ago as I am the North Wales Car Club archivist - certainly a great variety of unusual cars.

North Wales Car Club's Cymru Trial is being held on March 21 and the regulations (which are here www.anwcc.co.uk/regs-200321-cymru.pdf) give the list of winners over the years, you can see how successful Mike was in that motor sport discipline, not just rallies!

Offline hollins

« Reply #895 on: February 07, 2020, 03:04:22 pm »
What great photos DVT. Thank you for sharing them.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #896 on: February 08, 2020, 02:47:12 pm »
When I was at the West Shore today I saw a number of extremely dirty rally cars driving past.     Has anyone got any idea what is going on there?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #897 on: February 08, 2020, 03:19:17 pm »
When I was at the West Shore today I saw a number of extremely dirty rally cars driving past.     Has anyone got any idea what is going on there?

Hugo, Cambrian  Rally Today   https://cambrianrally.co.uk/   , main area for seeing the teams etc. on the Venue Cymru car park, and they used the Westshore car park for their trailers

Offline Hugo

« Reply #898 on: February 08, 2020, 05:38:17 pm »
Thanks for posting that Steve and for the link attached, some incredible driving going on there.    I think that some of the cars I saw today hadn't been cleaned since that 2019 rally, the back windows and number plates were just covered in dirt

Offline DVT

« Reply #899 on: February 21, 2020, 10:56:42 pm »
Hugo ... do you know a chap named David John Davies, a "Dyserth lad" (his words), he is in his 70's.  I don't know how old you are but guessing could be similar (please don't be offended, and I apologise if I'm wrong!).  Anyway, John (as he is known) was at the same function as me tonight and he has just returned from a trip to Cornwall to celebrate Mike Hinde's 90th birthday, along with many of Mike's other friends.  Mike is doing well, although does not travel far these days, and the birthday party was, apparently, a night of reminiscences.

Incidentally, the Cymru Trial (21st March) I referred to earlier has had to be cancelled due to storm damage to the venue.  Mike won the Cymru on a number of occasions.