Author Topic: Cars  (Read 271710 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Cars
« Reply #735 on: October 12, 2018, 08:14:57 pm »
I did the same in an Austin of my Dad's at Ainsdale beach.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #736 on: October 12, 2018, 08:49:58 pm »
No need for apologies,  I loved the story!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #737 on: November 15, 2018, 04:36:38 pm »
First ever Aston Martin SUV has its maiden road test in stunning North Wales
The Aston Martin DBX - with a hefty six-figure price tag - came to the region on its first outing.

It was in the hands of the company’s chief engineer Matt Becker when it tackled a stage used recently in the rally.
Among the stage locations this year were Clocaenog Forest, Brenig, Gwydir Forest and land around Penmachno and Dolgellau and sharp eyed readers may be able to work out the route from the video and images.

A spokesman said: "This first test for DBX signifies the start of an extensive testing programme.

"Though simulation is an essential part of DBX’s early development phase, this first prototype drive in Wales signifies the start of ‘real world’ testing, in which the SUV will be subjected to a punishing regime that will ultimately see development prototypes of the all-new machine tackle some of the world’s harshest environments, from the frozen Arctic and scorching deserts of the Middle East to high Alpine passes and the high-speed demands of the German autobahnen and Nürburgring Nordschleife."

New Aston Martin and potential James Bond supercar throws spotlight on Snowdonia
Speaking of his drive in the DBX development prototype Aston Martin chief engineer Matt Becker, said: "It’s always a big day when you get to put the first actual miles on an early prototype and I’m delighted with the near perfect correlation between the simulator and this prototype.

"As an engineer, it’s genuinely exciting to get a feel for the car you’re working to create. DBX is a very different kind of Aston Martin, but we will be testing it in all conditions and across all terrains to ensure it delivers a driving experience worthy of the wings badge."
DBX is scheduled to be unveiled in the last quarter of 2019 and will be built at Aston Martin Lagonda’s St Athan facility in South Wales. It is expected to cost around £140,000.  ref DP   https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/first-ever-aston-martin-suv-15419789

Offline SteveH

« Reply #738 on: November 28, 2018, 11:35:19 am »
M.E.  You mentioned yesterday that you have an SL320 in your collection, is that a new addition ?  I think you already know the SL is my favorite car, and that I had to sell mine last year.   :'(  ...what year ? and any chance of a picture.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #739 on: November 28, 2018, 07:31:48 pm »
Hi Steve, we bought the SL a couple of months ago, been in talks with the owner for a year! He's owned it for 9 years and it still has full Mercedes-Benz service history. It's a 2000 320 V6, it is an 'Edition' in mystic blue with a panoramic hardtop.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #740 on: November 28, 2018, 07:49:23 pm »
We also have 2 other classic Mercedes-Benz cars, one is a w124 230E saloon, really well built car.
Then there is the big CL55 AMG, basically an S class coupe, 5.4 litre V8 petrol engine with 360 bhp, only 59k miles from new, has the ABC suspension (active body control) it corners whilst staying flat on the road uncanny really!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #741 on: November 29, 2018, 03:03:17 pm »
Thanks for that M.E., I think you need a bigger garage  ;)   I thought you were a Jag. man ?    I do like your SL and the CL55 , if you ever decide to go into the hire car business, first dib's on the SL  8)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #742 on: November 29, 2018, 03:16:45 pm »
We sold the Jag over 2 years ago, bought an old W123 Mercedes-Benz,  loved it and ended up with the current cars, wont be hiring them out, but you are welcome to see them anytime, SL and Cl are in a big garage!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #743 on: November 29, 2018, 03:47:03 pm »
What's happened to that famous Robin Reliant of yours ME?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #744 on: November 29, 2018, 04:56:08 pm »
Hugo, sold that over 18 months ago, had lots of odd
problems with it! 

Offline A.Muse

« Reply #745 on: December 28, 2018, 08:53:26 pm »
In response to Steve H following, my post on the 'Genealogy and Research' pages: -

My profile picture is our 1958 MGA 1500 Coupe which we built up from boxes of bits and has now been on the road for 15 years.

The car that prompted my post is a 1926 Bullnose Morris Oxford 'MG Super Sports' That was first owned by Harry Scribbans.

I'm trying to find out more about Harry Scribbans and the car when in his ownership. I have details of his family history and know that he commissioned the building of Villa Marina.
You don't know what you don't know until you find out that you didn't know.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #746 on: December 29, 2018, 12:22:41 pm »
Thank you AM, that sounds like a lot of hard work, but what a result, excellent.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #747 on: January 06, 2019, 02:31:41 pm »
Have seen a lot of classic Mini's heading from Westshore to town, at least 50, quick search reveals...........

Wirral Mini Club's annual run from Bromborough to Llandudno. Open to both Classic and Modern minis. The event raises money for Claire House Children's Hospice on the Wirral.

After a short break at Rhos-On-Sea the run then heads along the coast road and up the Great Orme in Llandudno. The toll road (£3 payable on the day) up the Orme is a great road for minis and the views from the top across Snowdonia are amazing whatever the weather. After a short stop the run heads down the Orme and it ends on the promenade. Cars park on the prom for a few hours allowing plenty ...

Offline Hugo

« Reply #748 on: January 06, 2019, 02:43:20 pm »
Thanks for posting that photo Steve,  Tellytubby saw them driving in a convoy up Penrhyn Hill earlier today.      I did 143,000 miles in my Mini Clubman before it went to the scrapyard.
I've driven a few minis over the years like the mini van and mini moke but never got to drive the Mini Cooper S which I wanted to own at one time.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #749 on: January 06, 2019, 03:25:29 pm »
I always fancied a Cooper S, but being 6.4 tall  :'(,   the above photo is from the "Wirral Mini's"  web page, from last year, there were 100 cars today, which is the clubs maximum number to fit on the Orme .....posting another, not sure how it will turn out.