• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Cars
« Reply #930 on: September 10, 2020, 03:40:38 pm »
car H@S

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #931 on: September 11, 2020, 01:18:15 pm »
Anyone on here got can help me solve a Satnav problem ?

On way back after a service at the dealer in Helensburgh earlier in the year the inbuilt Satnav indicated that the car was at sea in the firth of Clyde. I was rushing back to catch the last ferry from Oban so was not able to return to the dealer. It has continued showing the location about 20 miles north west of it's true position.

After another trip to the dealer on Tuesday the fault is still there.

Any ideas how to get me back on dry land, just off Isle of Tiree now instead of on Mull.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #932 on: September 11, 2020, 01:36:21 pm »
It could be that the satnav was being uploaded with an update by the dealership, which possibly didn't take.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DVT

« Reply #933 on: September 11, 2020, 02:17:41 pm »
Hi Mull ...

... I had exactly that same problem about three years ago.  The Satnav suddently showed that I was out at sea when driving along the A55 ... after a while it corrected itself.  Following day it showed that I was miles from home when I was in my driveway!

Went back to the dealer who was puzzled by this.  Consultations with the factory (which is, for now at least, in the UK) showed their boffins were also puzzled.  A couple of days later I had a phone call to say they'd found the problem, so the car went in and was sorted.

The problem was something to do with the layout of the various wires - relaying them a slightly different route sorted the problem and it never returned - something to do with the electonics.  I believe an official factory notice was issued to dealers in case anyone else experienced the problem.

The following week our local dealer had another customer with the same problem, but this time they knew how to sort it quickly!

Had your dealer done something that may have "altered" the layout of the wires somewhere?

The car was a Honda Civic Tourer - is yours?

Dave

Offline mull

« Reply #934 on: September 11, 2020, 05:52:02 pm »
Thanks for the info DVT.
 Everything else is working fine.

Will talk it over with the dealer and see if we can get it sorted.

Problem is nearest dealer is in Helensburgh, 4 hour journey each way. Joys of island life. Even Oban no longer has any dealerships.

With my previous cars the local garage on the island was good at looking after things. These days the electronics are beyond them.

Model now is a Subaru Outback.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #935 on: October 14, 2020, 10:04:52 am »
The unusual sight of three T-Rexs crossing Rhyl's Foryd Bridge a few weeks ago left residents scratching their heads.

But all became clear when the prehistoric creatures ended up on our screens in an advert for MG's new electric car.

It shows a family setting off on a journey from home while the little girl spots several dinosaurs out of her window.

Shot in several North Wales locations, one is seen inside a phone box, three can be seen walking across the Foryd (blue) bridge between Rhyl and Kinmel Bay, one is filling up at a petrol station and another running on the Orme in Llandudno where the family's journey ends.
(also spotted at West Shore Cafe)
The clip has been the talk of the Rhyl Forum Facebook page with the mystery for many finally solved.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-wales-dinosaur-invasion-explained-19095962

Offline Hugo

« Reply #936 on: October 20, 2020, 04:48:54 pm »
I read the report and saw the photo today in the DM and according to the report the Audi was trying to park in the parking space but mounted the McLaren and then toppled over on its side
They then rescued the driver of the Audi but the report did not mention the name of the Audi driver.      Whoever it is has a lot of explaining to do especially to the owner of the McLaren

https://www.ladbible.com/news/uk-mclaren-left-badly-damaged-after-run-in-with-audi-in-carpark-20201019

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #937 on: October 20, 2020, 05:31:25 pm »
I read the report and saw the photo today in the DM and according to the report the Audi was trying to park in the parking space but mounted the McLaren and then toppled over on its side
They then rescued the driver of the Audi but the report did not mention the name of the Audi driver.      Whoever it is has a lot of explaining to do especially to the owner of the McLaren

I wonder what the waiting time is to get a new McLaren as the one in the photo will almost certainly be written off.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #938 on: October 22, 2020, 09:44:28 am »
This Sunday 25th. OCTOBER, TOP GEAR, BBC 1 20.00hrs., STAYED IN CAERNARFON & will be MOTORING AROUND N. WALES, filmed at Penrhyn Castle and Zip World (Bethesda) which may be included in Programme, REPEATED on Tuesday 27th. @ 23.25hrs. if you miss Sunday !

Offline Hugo

« Reply #939 on: November 11, 2020, 02:52:15 pm »

Offline SteveH

« Reply #940 on: December 18, 2020, 05:00:59 pm »
A lot of adverts, but if you have time...................

Best British cars: Top 50 all-time greatest British-built cars revealed
The British car industry has had its highs and lows but what are the best cars ever built in Britain? We pick our top 50!

Scroll down to see our Best of British countdown of the top 50 cars ever to roll off factory production lines in Great Britain......

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/99216/best-british-cars-top-50-all-time-greatest-british-built-cars-revealed?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=TBAEXBestBritishCars&utm_content=newsquestuk-northwalespioneer#tblciGiCH1Fx2XtR2CePQP3FLW9XTiEQZklsElc5qYT271lzuuiCRuD0

Offline SteveH

Re: Cars........................Car dimensions
« Reply #941 on: January 10, 2021, 04:20:21 pm »
A handy tool, if you are looking for car dimensions, very comprehensive .   I will post it in "All sorts of really Useful Links" for future reference.

https://www.automobiledimension.com/

Offline DVT

« Reply #942 on: January 10, 2021, 04:40:40 pm »
Looking at the top 50 cars that are British built, I'm surprised my car model is not in there.  May be Japanese brand but built in England, has an excellent reputation, and is a fantastic car to drive.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #943 on: January 29, 2021, 02:37:33 pm »
Huge MOT change that could see drivers fined and banned from the roads within days

A load of hot air.   I know of one so called business man who has five cars with no MOT and probably no insurance too
The Police and DVLA are aware but are doing nothing about it        &shake&

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/huge-mot-change-could-see-19727343

Offline SteveH

« Reply #944 on: February 07, 2021, 03:25:56 pm »
I overheard something on TV, which sounded interesting, someone in the US failed to make a payment on their new car, and found it deactivated when they tried starting it, I had seen American police stings with bait cars, but did not realise it was a commercial product, the article below does bring up the consequence of switching off the vehicle whilst it could be in motion, however if they could get around this problem, what a tool to fight lack of MOT, insurance and non payments etc,

Late Payment? A ‘Kill Switch’ Can Strand You and Your Car
STATELINE ARTICLE
November 27, 2018

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2018/11/27/late-payment-a-kill-switch-can-strand-you-and-your-car