Author Topic: Cars  (Read 271640 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Cars
« Reply #825 on: August 14, 2019, 10:15:08 am »
Not only is Lesley Griffiths besotted with the misuse of the word 'so' but she completely misses the point about pollution. If we want to cut pollution (which, if we want a world in which our grandchildren and their children can actually breathe we need to do) then we need to go after the polluting vehicles.

That means initially diesel vehicles: cars, vans, lorries and buses. Then the WA and UK government need to restore the grants for EV purchasers, force and subsidise councils to provide a lot more charging points, remove the woefully misnamed road tax from EVs and PHEVs, tax all new diesel vehicles about 300% more than at present and start a process to disincentivise ICE purchasers generally.

Pollution kills, and with asthma rates in children rocketing, especially in the East of the UK and in cities, they need to get a grip.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #826 on: August 14, 2019, 10:04:05 pm »
I have had cause, on a few occaisons recently, to use the A548 stretch at Queensferry that is now 50mph due to emissions and have noticed a very foul smell in that area.  There is also a chimney not far away belching out grey "smoke" ... so is the cause of poor air really down to cars? ... I suspect not, but we motorists are an easy target.  The area is also low-lying so any "heavy" air will settle there.

Also, surely a car travelling at 70mph along that stretch, as previously legal, is on that piece of road a lot less time that a car travelling at 50mph ... so is belching out less exhaust gasses.

If I drive an EV then can I still do 70mph as it won't be affecting the air quality?!!!

It does seem that "do-gooders" are doing everything they can to stop motoring.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #827 on: August 15, 2019, 09:12:07 am »
According to the RAC at the end of March this year there were 38.4 million vehicles registered for UK roads and an estimated three million lorries and HGVs from the continent.  According to the D of T we only have 246,700 miles of roads, and the real problem is that the majority of the vehicles use cities and motorways. In high pressure weather the emissions can become trapped beneath the sinking air, which is why a lot of cities around the world have started introducing zero-emission days.

We know diesel fumes, particularly, can aggravate a lot of medical conditions, including but not limited to Asthma. Tests done on the same roads in London over the past two years have revealed that young children are inhaling dangerous particulates on a daily basis, almost all from vehicles using the capital's streets.

Since Khan took over as Mayor he's instituted hefty financial disincentives for diesels especially, and the level of dangerous particulates has started to fall.  As an example of just what to expect from Johnson's stint as PM, under his 'leadership' the capital breached international safety limits from air pollution 38 times during his last six months alone.

On the 50 - 70mph argument, all vehicles use around 30% less fuel at 50 than at 70.

On the chimney, it's likely that whatever's causing the smell and smoke is breaking local regulations, so they need to be reported.  Local residents have probably already done it.

I know what you mean about the "do-gooders" seemingly doing everything they can to stop motoring. Not that long ago I might have agreed.  But a few things changed my mind. One was the death of the little girl in London which was positively attributed to NO levels from diesel vehicles. Another was learning that we only started monitoring pollution hotspots from 2007. What was found then was very worrying.

We now drive a PHEV and run it on electric power almost the entire time.  I think it's changed the way we drive, too; we drive more deliberately than we did and watch the range meter (which is on a HUD).  The one thing we need to push for is more charging points. Yesterday the only two in Colwyn Bay were occupied with EVs and the only other one - at Bodnant - had been demolished after something had backed into it and wasn't working.  Councils need to use the cash on offer from the WA to install a lot more of these charge points and the WA and UK government need to force all providers of charge points to work together, using a common payment system.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #828 on: August 15, 2019, 10:21:16 am »
Hi
I really think it would be a good idea if you explained which car you decided upon and what type of journeys you undertake. The reason for this is that(up until now) as a confirmed petrol / diesel head I'm conscious that electric vehicles are the future but cannot really understand which type to go for. The frequency and availability of charging stations is an issue as we do long journeys to see family. Would you mind giving advice on the forum or would you pm me?
Thanks for your consideration as I'm sure others are bewildered by this major change....I see car mags etc devoting more and more pages to EVs but I think users views are more pertinent...at least to me anyway!

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #829 on: August 15, 2019, 11:01:47 am »
We do not use our car much, and it is now ten years old, so although in good condition ( 36.000), I have been considering a change, so I also would be interested in your comments, I had a quick search and it would appear PHEV's are about £10.000 more expensive ?  https://ev-database.uk/compare/cheapest-plugin-hybrid

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #830 on: August 15, 2019, 11:20:39 am »
The govt decided to scrap the PHEV grant (which was worth around £3000) and they tax the car like a normal petrol one, so yep; the govt isn't really interested in helping the environment to become less polluted.

However, we get around 650 miles per gallon on our PHEV, so it does save a lot of money, and the charge point was fitted free so no complaints from us. And we've found nothing beats an EV for acceleration and silent driving. But the purchase price is still unacceptably high for most folk.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #831 on: August 15, 2019, 03:47:07 pm »
Thanks for that, It would be worth thinking about if we did more mileage, I might have to continue doing my bit for the environment, with low mileage.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #832 on: August 15, 2019, 05:02:50 pm »
Interestingly, it's the low mileage runs where the EVs come into their own. Even PHEVs have around 35 miles per charge so they're pretty much perfect for local use.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #833 on: August 16, 2019, 12:46:15 pm »
Interestingly, it's the low mileage runs where the EVs come into their own. Even PHEVs have around 35 miles per charge so they're pretty much perfect for local use.
Ian, Even this has surprised me........... mileage since July 2013.................    4.072               this and the fact it has been garaged,  is another reason why I have not been to the car showrooms.              :-\

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #834 on: August 16, 2019, 06:22:18 pm »
Hi
I really think it would be a good idea if you explained which car you decided upon and what type of journeys you undertake. The reason for this is that(up until now) as a confirmed petrol / diesel head I'm conscious that electric vehicles are the future but cannot really understand which type to go for. The frequency and availability of charging stations is an issue as we do long journeys to see family. Would you mind giving advice on the forum or would you pm me?
Thanks for your consideration as I'm sure others are bewildered by this major change....I see car mags etc devoting more and more pages to EVs but I think users views are more pertinent...at least to me anyway!

There's quite a lot of things you need to know before taking the plunge, as you say.  First, however, I'll dispel some common misconceptions:

1. All charge points have moved towards a common plug/socket so theoretically you can use anyone.
2. Sadly, the government hasn't seen fit to force all charge companies to use a common system of payment (something like a single card) so currently they all use their own systems. Even though a lot are totally free, such as the ones at M&S in Cheshire Oakes they still insist you open an account with the provider.  So not a lot that's easy there, then.
3. The most common type of charge point provider is Polar. All (both) the points on Colwyn prom are Polar and the Polar system uses a single charge card which costs nothing for the first three months and then £8 pm thereafter.
4. The government still fit a free charge point in your house. A chap comes and spends a day fitting a direct line from the main board (did in our case, anyway) and that sits outside, impervious to weather.
5.  All Rescue companies recognise range anxiety and if you do run out mid-journey, they'll put the car on the back of their transporter and take you to the nearest charge point.

You also have to know what types of vehicle there are.  We have a PHEV: Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle. Quite a few companies now sell them.  Plus points: the engine takes over if you run out of electricity. Negative points: they're taxed according to your petrol engine emissions.

Then there's the pure EV. Range between 200 - 350 miles per charge. Faster acceleration than a Porsche, utterly silent apart from tyre noise, superb to drive but if you do run out then it's off to a charge point for half an hour while it re-charges.

BMW, meanwhile, do an EV with a petrol engine that drives a generator, so that keeps yo- going for much longer than an EV by itself.

Because they're all minimising weight and drag they're all generally pretty sleek in shape and inside all the instruments are graphical.  No speedo needles.

Best advice I can give is to visit all the showrooms in Junction who are offering EVs or PHEVs. Take a test drive in several to get the feel of how an EV performs. All I can say is there's now no way we'd return to petrol.

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #835 on: August 16, 2019, 07:34:50 pm »
Thanks Ian. I shall go and have a look.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #836 on: August 18, 2019, 01:34:11 pm »
I had a look at the cars on Rhos On Sea promenade today and there was another good turn out with many well looked after vehicles on display.   
Tellytubby sent me a photo of a McLaren that he saw down on the Llyn Peninsula and it's a fantastic looking model, perhaps there is an electric version of it that Rhuddlan may be interested in.     ;D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #837 on: August 18, 2019, 02:04:10 pm »
Cars on Rhos Prom today

Offline SteveH

« Reply #838 on: August 18, 2019, 02:27:37 pm »
As you say, some very nice cars there, great photos,  I tried to get there and then go to the RNLI open day, best laid plans etc. missed both, however a parade of very smart sports cars, have just driven past the house while I was outside, so not a completely wasted day, apparently from a display of cars on Llandudno prom, ............plenty to do today and good weather.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #839 on: September 13, 2019, 01:00:02 pm »
Asda and Sainsbury's are cutting the price of petrol at their forecourts.                          ref DP

Effective today, Asda is cutting the price of unleaded fuel by 3p a litre.

The supermarket said it means people filling up at one of its 322 petrol stations will pay no more than 122.7p a litre for unleaded, while diesel remains unchanged at 126.7p a litre