Author Topic: Cars  (Read 271526 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Cars
« Reply #810 on: July 10, 2019, 10:09:11 am »
DVLA are starting to crack down on untaxed vehicles by clamping cars
Scores of motors in Prestatyn and Rhyl were seen with wheel clamps and windscreen stickers following a visit from the DVLA ANPR vans.

The DVLA have been operating a country-wide vehicle tax evasion operation throughout 2019, warning motorists to "tax it or we'll clamp it!"

Since circular tax discs were scrapped, the motoring body now uses automatic number plate readers (ANPR) to  to scan registrations and check them against information stored in the DVLA’s database.

Enforcement action against untaxed vehicles can include financial penalties, court action, clamping and, in some cases, the loss of the car.
Vehicles can be clamped or instantly impounded if found to be untaxed on a public road - even if you had a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).

Anyone who finds their car clamped will need to pay a £100 fee to have it removed and will only be released once the vehicle has been taxed.  The DVLA also claim any unpaid vehicle tax arrears from the date it was last taxed or move to prosecute - with fines up to £1,000.
The number of untaxed vehicles has trebled since paper tax discs were scrapped in 2014, according to data from the Department for Transport.

DVLA enforcement spokeswoman Beth Beasley said: “While over 98% of vehicles on the road are taxed correctly, it is right that we take action against those who don’t tax their vehicles and then drive them -  otherwise it wouldn’t be fair to those who do the right thing.

“We don’t need to spot a vehicle on the road to take enforcement action but if we do, wheel clamping is an effective way to make sure that an untaxed vehicle is not driven on the road.

“It’s never been easier to tax your car – it’s just a few clicks to do it online and you can do it 24 hours a day, you can also spread payments across the year by Direct Debit so there really is no excuse.  Having your vehicle clamped is expensive and inconvenient. Don’t take the risk – tax it or lose it.”   ref DP

ALSO.......
New noise cameras will fine drivers whose cars are too loud
Loud exhausts will be targeted by the acoustic sensitive devices.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/new-noise-cameras-fine-drivers-16414760

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #811 on: July 10, 2019, 01:20:30 pm »
I've been a critic of the DVLA  for some time as I believe that they are more bluff than substance,  A bit like Boris Johnson perhaps.      A few months ago I asked the DVLA for info under the FOI  Act  but they declined to give me the specific info I requested and said that they had previously  replied to a similar request from me before and in actual fact said that they would refuse to reply to any more FOI requests from me in future

That info would have given me some idea of roughly how much money they hadn't collected which the RAC has estimated to be over £100 million.      Are ANPR cameras any good if the car is parked in the garden or garage even, because I see someone daily who hasn't taxed his last 4 or 5 cars and has travelled  daily in them.

I really hope that I am proved wrong because the UK could do with the money and apart from that it is unfair to the honest motorist who pays on time

On another thread this week,  motorists in London are getting away with not paying for parking fines.     Some are well over the 100 mark so how come?      Couldn't the next traffic Warden arrange for the clamping or removal of that vehicle and that's the end of that but will common sense prevail?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #812 on: July 13, 2019, 02:18:42 pm »
Three old classic cars have just gone past, anyone know what's on ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #813 on: July 21, 2019, 02:41:42 pm »
There was a good turnout of vehicles at the Coffee and Cars do at Rhos On Sea today.   I still like the yellow Noble sports car although the Jaguar F Type is a close second.      I don't think that I could get in or out of them at the moment and that lottery win seems a long way off

Offline Hugo

« Reply #814 on: July 21, 2019, 02:45:44 pm »
Cars at Rhos today

There was a big black beast of a car ( last photo above ) but I can't remember the make of the vehicle

Offline hollins

« Reply #815 on: July 21, 2019, 03:18:26 pm »
Great photos Hugo. Looks better weather down there than up here.
This one looks a bit tricky to access as well.

Offline DVT

« Reply #816 on: July 21, 2019, 05:17:47 pm »
Hugo ... the "black beast of a car" is a Nissan GT-R ... fairly quick!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #817 on: July 21, 2019, 06:38:29 pm »
Hugo ... the "black beast of a car" is a Nissan GT-R ... fairly quick!

I remember the name now that you have said it DVT but I've never seen one before.   That would be nice for you on a rally      ;D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #818 on: July 21, 2019, 06:44:00 pm »
Great photos Hugo. Looks better weather down there than up here.
This one looks a bit tricky to access as well.

Is that your hire car or have you driven all the way there?          ;D

Don't forget to take some photos and post them on here as they are always lovely to see.

Offline hollins

« Reply #819 on: July 21, 2019, 08:57:51 pm »
Sorry Hugo. At home now. The photo was taken in June and it definitely wasn't our hire car!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #820 on: July 25, 2019, 01:18:42 pm »
Why driving in flip flops could land you with a fine and points on your licence.     Pioneer

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/17794293.driving-flip-flops-land-fine-points-licence/

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #821 on: July 26, 2019, 05:37:07 pm »
I've never owned or worn flip flops, doubt I ever will lol
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SteveH

« Reply #822 on: August 06, 2019, 04:46:59 pm »
New speed trap blitz on drivers - and this is how it's going to work
Motorists who think they can put their foot down once the coast is clear should think again.

Multiple speed trap vans will line particular roads in a bid to deter motorists who think they can accelerate once they think they're in the clear.

GoSafe, the partnership that tries to reduce accidents on the roads, says it wants to make sure drivers don't speed up once they pass the enforcement vehicles. Cont...... https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/new-speed-trap-blitz-drivers-16708849

Offline Hugo

« Reply #823 on: August 06, 2019, 06:40:58 pm »
I would have thought that average speed cameras would have sorted this thing out and in that way would have freed up the much needed resources of the Police.     

Offline SteveH

« Reply #824 on: August 14, 2019, 10:02:58 am »
The North Wales speed cameras aimed at cutting pollution are now in place
Speed restrictions were installed on the A483 and A494 in a bid to cut the level of nitrogen dioxide in the area

Article/ comments    https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-wales-speed-cameras-aimed-16749751